Who is still building good narrowboat shells?

Boater Sam

Featured Posts

39 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Are you sure about the rivets?

Although Brinklow obviously rivet at required on old boat repairs and modifications, I was not aware any of their "remakes" are of all rvitted construction.

Certainly the likes of Oberon, Orpheus etc are welded construction and the rivets not real ones.

Are you sure they are not real rivets. Nect time I see Steve Priest, i will ask him.

16 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

Are you sure they are not real rivets. Nect time I see Steve Priest, i will ask him.

No I'm not - that's why I'm asking!

Perhaps they have done one like this, (it might explain the claimed price!), but that's not how any I know about have been done.

EDITED TO ADD:

I can see no mention of it in the sales details.  It seems such an unusual thing, (and presumably a major selling point), so it would seem odd not to mention it, surely?

http://newandusedboat.co.uk/used-boats-for-sale/532

Edited by alan_fincher

4 hours ago, Kev's Halcyon said:

Yep, I helped him to get the rubbing bars in position, even had a go with the plasma cutter to remove the extra at the stern. His work for the rest of last week was to seam weld everything up before starting to cut and fit the superstructure.

Yep, should all be sorted now, I'll be back on Tuesday to see the progress.

Is the base plate jacked up to meet the side plates? or does it have 2 fillet pieces in th fore end to keep the base plate flat?

Edited by X Alan W

Can't go far wrong with Colecraft. Avoid overstyled boats where the builder has tried too hard and exaggerated the shapes and avoid tubby blunt boats. One day you will need to sell it and odd looking boats don't appeal to so many people.

2 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

No I'm not - that's why I'm asking!

Perhaps they have done one like this, (it might explain the claimed price!), but that's not how any I know about have been done.

EDITED TO ADD:

I can see no mention of it in the sales details.  It seems such an unusual thing, (and presumably a major selling point), so it would seem odd not to mention it, surely?

http://newandusedboat.co.uk/used-boats-for-sale/532

Unusual ?? I don't recall any mention of rivets in the advertisements for your two boats either. ??

• Greenie 1

7 hours ago, Kev's Halcyon said:

Mine is currently being built by Yorkshire Boatbuilder in Thorne. Used to trade as Cuttwater Boats. I think Mick does a good job, but he is a one man band, so don't expect him to be quick. Hoping the sides will be on next week.

P1020062.JPG

P1020063.JPG

P1020065.JPG

I saw your boat last week, he does make a nice shell and Steve does a nice fitout as well

8 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I saw a new Tyler Wilson boat the other day with very nice looking steelwork.

I agree Johny built my boat and I am well pleased with the steelwork, and ten years down the line its still in very good condition

18 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

Unusual ?? I don't recall any mention of rivets in the advertisements for your two boats either. ??

Well in the ad for our most recent purchase the former owner if I recall was more interested in things like "underfloor bathroom heating" than anything to do with the boat he had put it in to.

I'm surprised it wasn't advertised as Northwich Trader replica!

3 hours ago, X Alan W said:

Is the base plate jacked up to meet the side plates? or does it have 2 fillet pieces in th fore end to keep the base plate flat?

I think I understand your question, the base plate was made as 1 flat piece and welded as far as possible, then the stern is lifted with the fork lift until it matches the bow curve, and is then welded in place.

1 hour ago, peterboat said:

I saw your boat last week, he does make a nice shell and Steve does a nice fitout as well

I'm pleased with the work Mick does and I've never seen anything bad said about him. For me this is a big project, I'll be doing the fitout myself, although I do keep looking at Steve's work and 'pinchin' a few ideas ? Also been doing a bit of painting practice on some mdf boards ready to spend a good few weeks making it look good. Another month or so and I'm expecting to bid farewell to 'Kev's Halcyon'.

I’m surprised that no one has mentioned Dave Harris ??? He’s recently completed a stunning 57’ boat for me along his very traditional lines. This will be Dave’s 49th build and sadly maybe his last. He is now fitting out Boats and taking things a bit easier as retirement nears . A true craftsman. 

F5165614-6321-4DC4-B7DE-CD9E76DCF1BB.jpeg

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, mark99 said:

The clue was in the title. And yes DH boats are top draw.

Yes my impression was the OP was asking for mid-range, decently built shells rather than the 'money no object' top end stuff by Simon Wain, Dave Harris, et al. 

But another top end shell builder surprisingly not mentioned yet is Roger Farrington.

8 hours ago, Ray T said:

Small Northwich replica by Brinklow boats, Astraea.

14220332760.jpg

Sorry Ray, only three out of ten for your identification. ASTRAEA is a small Woolwich replica, although the original boat to carry that name and those numbers was a butty - and that was cut up for scrap at Bulls Bridge in April 1978 :captain:

edit - I am disappointed that Mr Fincher did not point this out in his earlier response. 

Edited by pete harrison

8 hours ago, Bramangie said:

I’m surprised that no one has mentioned Dave Harris ??? He’s recently completed a stunning 57’ boat for me along his very traditional lines. This will be Dave’s 49th build and sadly maybe his last. He is now fitting out Boats and taking things a bit easier as retirement nears . A true craftsman. 

F5165614-6321-4DC4-B7DE-CD9E76DCF1BB.jpeg

I thought that he had already retired. 

11 hours ago, Kev's Halcyon said:

I think I understand your question, the base plate was made as 1 flat piece and welded as far as possible, then the stern is lifted with the fork lift until it matches the bow curve, and is then welded in place.

I'm pleased with the work Mick does and I've never seen anything bad said about him. For me this is a big project, I'll be doing the fitout myself, although I do keep looking at Steve's work and 'pinchin' a few ideas ? Also been doing a bit of painting practice on some mdf boards ready to spend a good few weeks making it look good. Another month or so and I'm expecting to bid farewell to 'Kev's Halcyon'.

When  I was  involved in repair & shell construction as the side plates turn upward when pulled into meet the stem post leaving a triangular space  we  used to fashion  2 fillets then the more to the budget end shell builders started jacking/bending up the forward end of the base pate to follow  the line of the sides  this seemed to make the fore end climb on & over things more than the flat base plate seemed to do, seems now to be a more widespread practice than back in the 80's & earlier

In 1986 Colecraft built the shell of our boat and fitted it out themselves. Len Beauchamp did the joinery. It's still in really good condition and has been carefully looked by it's two owners. (Roger Wickson for the first twenty years years). Colecraft boats are certainly worth considering. They 'swim' well and have sound fit outs for the in house versions.

received_10213272057770729.jpeg

Yes, I would not expect to list people who's retirement has been announced in a thread entitled "who is still building good narrow boat shells".

Otherwise I might have listed Yarwoods or Harland and Wolff!

Just now, alan_fincher said:

Yes, I would not expect to list people who's retirement has been announced in a thread entitled "who is still building good narrow boat shells".

Otherwise I might have listed Yarwoods or Harland and Wolff!

People do change their minds. For years I kept reading that Danny Williamson had retired, then the following month I'd see a reference to the latest engine which he'd just finished restoring.

And as for Sinatra....

16 hours ago, Ray T said:

I am only going on what the then owner told me.

Astraea certainly had riveted knees in the cratch area, unless I was hallucinating! 

The "riveted knees" in the well deck were added after the hull was complete so as not to spoil the illusion of it being a riveted hull. Seems it worked?, they weren't riveted. Steve may have riveted the engine room, I lined the engine room out so should remember but I've been to sleep since then...