Passing through Birmingham

monkeyhanger

Featured Posts

This summer I intend travelling north to Chester in early June and being at Braunston working boat festival on my return trip south. My route will (obviously now because of the Middlewich breach) involve the full length of the Shropshire Union canal, and a trip through Birmingham.What route would readers suggest I take through Brum, and which safe overnight moorings would you suggest?

I might add that I am 70 years old and likely to be single handed. Before people suggest the Coventry/ T&M/ S&W as being easier, I'll probably take that route in one direction, either north or south, but not sure yet.

Personally I would stop at Autherley Junction, then up the Wolverhampton 21, depending on how long that takes either overnight at Wolverhampton or continue on to Tipton. Then in to Birmingham the next day which is just 3 locks, stop in Birmingham as there is plenty of moorings around the Barclaycard Arena or by Gas Street basin. Then I would use the Southern Stratford via Lapworth to Kingswood Junction to pick up the GU to go down Hatton.

However you do it you will be faced with lots of locks. If it were me I would go the Coventry route in both directions or the B&F one way. If retracing your steps is a not acceptable and as long as you can face the large GU locks & Hatton the GU & North Stratford stopping on the NS, the Gas street, then under the ring road "cliff" just above the 21.

There aren't really any unsafe places to moor. I write that as a 71 year old. 

However, favoured places are Wolverhampton (choice of 3 spots, one of those secure but no access to outside world), Bentley Bridge, Tipton, BCLM, Titford Pumphouse, Windmill End, Merryhill, Brownhills, Anglesea Basin, Longwood, Walsall Town Arm, Birmingham City Centre. Many more that I've missed out. 

The nicest and "safest" way in (heading North) is the North Stratford canal. The Lapworth flight is easy single locks and rural. Overnight stop near the Bluebell pub then a lock free run into Brum in an easy day. Mooring in Central brum is pleasant and safe. Gas street can be a little loud on the weekend, just a few hundred yards further on near the Arena and Sea Life centre is better. If you are really really unlucky you might get untied in the night, that's about as bad as it gets.

There is no way of avoiding locks if you visit brum. Two options for leaving. Best is probably to have an fairly easy day up to Wolverhampton. This will involve a couple of urban locks but no reputation for trouble. I find the old main line the more interesting route. Fairly safe off side moorings in Wolverhampton (but you are trapped,no way out) or there might be a space in the old BW yard. Next day its the Wolverhampton 21. Start early, sometimes a few dodgy people hanging about but little trouble. Get someone to help if you can. If you are first boat down you might find empty pounds. Up to Brewood for overnight stop.

Other route is through the Netherton tunnel,you could maybe get an overnight mooring at the boat club, but better to go on to Merry Hill which is generally safe. Next day down the Delph and Stourton locks, a couple of slightly rough bits but some very pleasant and interesting.

...............Dave