National Users Group 18 April 2018

StarUKKiwi

Featured Posts

I still think that if CRT want to increase public awareness, a big sign by each access point, saying for example, "Welcome to the Coventry Canal, operated and maintained on behalf of the general public by Canal & River Trust" would have been more effective and probably no more costly.

• Greenie 2

I would like to say thanks for your efforts. It is nice to think there are people interested enough to play an active part and take the trouble to feed back useful information to us.

19 minutes ago, Horace42 said:

I would like to say thanks for your efforts. It is nice to think there are people interested enough to play an active part and take the trouble to feed back useful information to us.

Thank you for this summary of the meeting which is excellent.  I attended it and found it very interesting.  With regard to promoting the Trust to the world at large, undoubtedly this is necessary, and we were invited (by table) to come up with ideas.   CRT will no doubt adapt its signage over time, but there are those of us who don't want too many large signs all over the place!

Regards

David

56 minutes ago, Horace42 said:

Seconded 

19 hours ago, Horace42 said:

Thirded

Thanks for posting the information.

how the Trust needs to reposition itself and have a new image and the need to improve the awareness, currently at approx 36% meaning that 64% have no awareness of who Canal and River Trust are and what they do.

I still think this rebranding is a huge waste of money at a time when the trust is pleading poverty left right and centre.  What is wrong with "Canal and River Trust"?

Trust - an organisation that looks after something

Canal and River - big long ditches of one sort or another full of water

How can 64% of people asked not understand what CRT do?  What makes them think a different name is going to make any difference?

Many years ago on the Middlewich Branch, just where the railway crosses, BW (or probably BWB) had a huge sign facing the railway saying 'British Waterways' on it.  That type of signage would bring the attention of the canals to a lot more people than another change of name.  A sign on every canal bridge saying what they are going over, a big sign by any lock visible from a road.  If they want to increase awareness then they need to make people realise what and where the canals and rivers are.  Not put up silly signs for illiterate dogs and ducks to read.

14 minutes ago, dor said:

Many years ago on the Middlewich Branch, just where the railway crosses, BW (or probably BWB) had a huge sign facing the railway saying 'British Waterways' on it.  That type of signage would bring the attention of the canals to a lot more people than another change of name.  A sign on every canal bridge saying what they are going over, a big sign by any lock visible from a road.  If they want to increase awareness then they need to make people realise what and where the canals and rivers are.  Not put up silly signs for illiterate dogs and ducks to read.

I think you have a point here. For example, on the M6 and M55 there are signs stating "Lancaster Canal" where the motorway crosses it but I'm sure they have no branding. So the addition of a logo and "cared for by" would be seen by the thousands of passing motorists (providing Highways England were in agreement, of course). 

52 minutes ago, dor said:

Thanks for posting the information.

how the Trust needs to reposition itself and have a new image and the need to improve the awareness, currently at approx 36% meaning that 64% have no awareness of who Canal and River Trust are and what they do.

I still think this rebranding is a huge waste of money at a time when the trust is pleading poverty left right and centre.  What is wrong with "Canal and River Trust"?

Trust - an organisation that looks after something

Canal and River - big long ditches of one sort or another full of water

How can 64% of people asked not understand what CRT do?  What makes them think a different name is going to make any difference?

I think the point is that many towpath users know that some kind of navigation authority looks after the water -- but think the towpath is probably owned and maintained by their local council, or is just 'public' in some way.

16 hours ago, adam1uk said:

I think the point is that many towpath users know that some kind of navigation authority looks after the water -- but think the towpath is probably owned and maintained by their local council, or is just 'public' in some way.

Exactly, which is why in another thread I suggested signage at access points saying this is the Whatever Canal and is operated and maintained by CRT.

Such signage could be sited so that it is almost invisible to boaters but has to be passed by those accessing the canal, which typically is by a narrow path down the side of a bridge.

Thank you, what I find peculiar is that all the boating, cycling, angling canoeing organisations were represented, but I have only seen two reports - now it maybe that they only do them in hard copy, but I have had members of two boat groups asking me if they had a representation present, suggesting they don't, which is a shame because this is the only National meeting 

On 27/04/2018 at 23:54, ditchcrawler said:

Thanks for that,Do CRT ever publish the minutes from these meeting? We have only know whats said since you and Andy got voted on.

Yes, C&RT publish notes from these meetings. However, it can sometimes be months before they do so -

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/meetings?keyword=&startDate=&startDate_submit=&endDate=&endDate_submit=&meetingType=National+User+Forum&region=0&submit=&search=yes

47 minutes ago, vicafloat said:

Thanks for the update! Most boaters would appreciate sight of the minutes and it would

reduce the amount of negative comments we all make

.....or would it ?