Lock 24E (?), Huddersfield Narrow

RLWP

Featured Posts

Anyone local familiar with the quirks of the hand operated guillotine gate on the Huddersfield Narrow? Could be lock 24 East

A couple of forum members are stuck in it because one of the gates won't open properly

Richard

Edited by RLWP

1 minute ago, Rob-M said:

Is this a ploy to keep them from the BCN challenge?

No. Stuart has taken Goliath to the pub to reward his lock wheeling. Libby is on the boat stuck in the lock and could do with a bit of support

2 hours ago, RLWP said:

Anyone local familiar with the quirks of the hand operated guillotine gate on the Huddersfield Narrow? Could be lock 24 East

Too late now, as they got sorted but my two tips are 

1) Walk up from the previous lock to open the guillotine as you can't get anywhere near the lock (heading west) without a leap of faith into a bramble patch.

2) Count the turns!  It's supposed to be 92 turns to fully operate the guillotine, but it feels like more.

9 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Was there something jammed under the guillotine, preventing it from closing, or were they trying to open it?  That gate is harder work than any of the manual Nene Guillotines.

It was a problem with a Fenner coupling in the lifting gear, apparently

11 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Was there something jammed under the guillotine, preventing it from closing, or were they trying to open it?  That gate is harder work than any of the manual Nene Guillotines.

They were travelling down the locks from Marsden and I was helping. This was the last lock for the day.

I was winding the gate up. The gate got halfway then the machanism broke. You could spin the windless without any tension and the gate would neither go up or down. There was nothing to hinder the movement, nothing stuck anywhere and the gate felt no heavier than normal to lift. I’ve operated that lock several times over the last month and it’s straight forward enough but this time around it decided to break. 

• Greenie 1

57 minutes ago, Goliath said:

They were travelling down the locks from Marsden and I was helping. This was the last lock for the day.

I was winding the gate up. The gate got halfway then the machanism broke. You could spin the windless without any tension and the gate would neither go up or down. There was nothing to hinder the movement, nothing stuck anywhere and the gate felt no heavier than normal to lift. I’ve operated that lock several times over the last month and it’s straight forward enough but this time around it decided to break. 

I struggled with that lock, last time I went through.  Some leakage issues with the guillotine made it impossible to open the top gates, had to use the Spanish windlass trick, as per the other thread.  Saves on gym membership though...

15 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Too late now, as they got sorted but my two tips are 

1) Walk up from the previous lock to open the guillotine as you can't get anywhere near the lock (heading west) without a leap of faith into a bramble patch.

2) Count the turns!  It's supposed to be 92 turns to fully operate the guillotine, but it feels like more.

160 turns IIRC -- but then daughter's BF was opening it, I was buying beer in the brewery, so number is second-hand...

The Brewery wasn't open, alas.

We were coming down, the lock was empty and the gate was being lifted. It got about a third of the way up and then just stopped.

We couldn't get out under the gate and couldn't refill the lock to go out backwards and tie up above the lock

The problem was with a Fenner coupling, apparently. A shaft held into the gearbox by a taper and two grub screws had come adrift.

Two CaRT staff came out to us and they were great. They stayed with us until it was fixed by the pair of contractors who were called out.

We escaped at 20:30. I had visions of us having to spend the night on the boat in the bottom of the lock. No one was happy with this idea but there wasn't much of an alternative.

And a BIG THANK YOU to Goliath Glen for helping us down the locks from Marsden.

(Guess what music has just started playing in the bar where I am? 'Rescue Me', Fontella Bass. How apt!)

21 hours ago, MoominPapa said:

I'm looking forward to the war-stories from this trip.

Indeed.

Suffice to say having travelled the Huddersfield Narrow Canal once I don't think we'll be coming here again.

1 hour ago, Victor Vectis said:

The Brewery wasn't open, alas.

We were coming down, the lock was empty and the gate was being lifted. It got about a third of the way up and then just stopped.

We couldn't get out under the gate and couldn't refill the lock to go out backwards and tie up above the lock

The problem was with a Fenner coupling, apparently. A shaft held into the gearbox by a taper and two grub screws had come adrift.

Two CaRT staff came out to us and they were great. They stayed with us until it was fixed by the pair of contractors who were called out.

We escaped at 20:30. I had visions of us having to spend the night on the boat in the bottom of the lock. No one was happy with this idea but there wasn't much of an alternative.

And a BIG THANK YOU to Goliath Glen for helping us down the locks from Marsden.

(Guess what music has just started playing in the bar where I am? 'Rescue Me', Fontella Bass. How apt!)

Indeed.

Suffice to say having travelled the Huddersfield Narrow Canal once I don't think we'll be coming here again.

No problem, I enjoyed it.

I like this canal, it’s been trouble for me from the start but I thinks it’s lovely along here and worth every effort. Hope the rest of your journey is trouble free. Enjoy  

• Greenie 1

15 minutes ago, Goliath said:

No problem, I enjoyed it.

I like this canal, it’s been trouble for me from the start but I thinks it’s lovely along here and worth every effort. Hope the rest of your journey is trouble free. Enjoy  

Have to agree, l like it too, even though it was a struggle at times.  I'm deep draughted and had no option but to moor in the lock entries (coming down towards Huddersfield) as filling the lock would sit me on the bottom.  I was pleased no boats came up between Huddersfield and Milnsbridge, otherwise I'd have been sat there mid channel.  Hope the leakage around 5e? has been sorted.

Edited by NB Esk
Don't know my Milnsbridge from my Slaithwaite

One of the best canals ever lovely scenery and lovely places .Problem is it was not built for lots of boat movements .I single handed got stuck mid pound but a couple passing took my windlass and let some water down so i could get to next lock. That was the period when it had a big hole in it which took 8 tons of puddle clay to fill and stop leak.

19 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

Sorry to hear that.  It is my usual route to the south (or back), and I was looking forward to my 13th traverse of the HNC last autumn when the Marple locks closure stopped me.  Your misadventure with the Slawit guillotine could have happened in several places (except that that guillotine is the only manual one on the canal system). Has anything else about the HNC put you off?