Engine Rooms

Featured Posts

Well as far as narrow boats are concerned, I suppose the semi- diesel was an important step forward, but not all canal craft were narrow boats. On narrow canals there were tugs for tunnels or general haulage. On barge sized canals and river navigations, even estuaries and coastal waters, the opportunity for steam powered craft was greater.

On 28/04/2018 at 17:01, alan_fincher said:

These are not true engine 'oles - or at least not like ours has......

I can't see an Elsan or Porta Potty in any one of those pictured so far!

Elsan or porta pottie Thats a bit up market more the bucket & chuck it the one when I took over my motor even had an home made seat & lid Ah the luxury's of a proper plastic toilet seat

2 hours ago, Heartland said:

Well as far as narrow boats are concerned, I suppose the semi- diesel was an important step forward, but not all canal craft were narrow boats. On narrow canals there were tugs for tunnels or general haulage. On barge sized canals and river navigations, even estuaries and coastal waters, the opportunity for steam powered craft was greater.

I am old enough (as a teen) to remember the "Leccy) Tug that worked boats through Harecastle tunnel what with the overhead pick up crackling & flashing & the propulsion unit sounding as if it was in it's death throes it was a wonder if we'll make it trip the towed boats had to put out their cabin range fires but the tugs fire continued to choke all persons  (the fans were not in operation until 1954 was  the year the tug was decommissioned also most boats by then were motor powered or pairs the horse boat had almost disappeared