Engine Rooms

Featured Posts

8 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

Probably not quite what the OP intended, but just to balance things out, here is a piccy of the engine in our old boat:-

015.jpg

What on earth do you do with all the extra space now you've crammed that lovely engine into that tiny box? Library...second parlour.....morning room?

8 hours ago, Peter-Bullfinch said:

What on earth do you do with all the extra space now you've crammed that lovely engine into that tiny box? Library...second parlour.....morning room?

I do like the idea of a boat with a library.

19 minutes ago, Derek R. said:

Live aboard - and they will come (books that is).

Oh yes, but I mean a little room set aside as a library, with an easy chair and a reading lamp - just as some high-tech boats have a little room set aside for a computer, with a mini-office desk.

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

Oh yes, but I mean a little room set aside as a library, with an easy chair and a reading lamp - just as some high-tech boats have a little room set aside for a computer, with a mini-office desk.

I take my kindle in the bog:)

12 hours ago, Derek R. said:

Just for Mr. Fincher whose sight must be failing him . . . .

614184480_113EngineHole010(Medium).JPG.3f3aa31e4c04945cc784ea7943badfc3.JPG

A very fair cop!

There is actually a card from Specsavers on my desk, saying I'm due an eye test.

Perhaps time to do something about it?

13 hours ago, Peter-Bullfinch said:

Put a single bed either side of it, making a very snug back cabin

014.JPG

013.jpg

On 27/04/2018 at 17:45, Peter-Bullfinch said:

I very much enjoy looking into other folks engine rooms. It's  raining hard today  so most boats have their side doors shut. It crossed my mind that some of you also indulge in this pastime of Engine 'ole gawping.  

Heres a few pics from a boat just down the Jetty from you Peter, RH 2YDA.

IMG_3472.jpg
IMG_3544.jpg
IMG_4796.jpg

Edited by andyberg

Engine Rooms have changed with time as have the engines that fit inside. There is now a hydrogen powered boat on the canal and no doubt new technology will produce a suitable hybrid engine for canal craft.

Steam was still the best.....

44083.jpg.f6806b0a621ea18e4c73bea9b722a354.jpg

RCHS Weaver Collection - Sissons Engine, Windemere Group of Slides

Edited by Heartland

On 28 April 2018 at 10:59, plainsman said:

Some nice bits of hardware, congrats to the keepers. Am curious as to how the copper pipe is coiled, presumably some sort of former or similar but how is it done without squashing? I have used pipe bender for domestic stuff at home but these only bend as far as 90 degrees or so.

I carefully coiled mine round the lip of a suitably sized jar - the pipe is quite soft so you just have to go steady. 

1 hour ago, Heartland said:

Engine Rooms have changed with time as have the engines that fit inside. There is now a hydrogen powered boat on the canal and no doubt new technology will produce a suitable hybrid engine for canal craft.

Steam was still the best.....

I think this is both subjective and dependant on its application.

I am just about old enough to remember steam powered railway locomotives, as well as the occasional road roller and traction engine (probably going to shows in the 1960's and 1970's). I have no romantic or nostalgic impressions of steam engines, instead seeing them as cumbersome and labour intensive and not to mention dirty. 

I am only interested in narrow boat application and again all of the above still stands. There were relatively few steam powered narrow boats back in the day, and much of their carrying capacity was lost to a boiler and fuel (coal or coke) - not to mention the requirement of several people to operate an individual boat. It is no wonder that these were superseded by oil fuelled engines as soon as they became commercially available.

As far as narrow boats are concerned (and railway locomotives, road vehicles, ships, and just about everything else) I firmly believe that oil fuelled engines were, and still are the best...........

LONG LIVE OIL (yes, I know this statement is flawed) :captain: