Engine Rooms

Featured Posts

I very much enjoy looking into other folks engine rooms. It's  raining hard today  so most boats have their side doors shut. It crossed my mind that some of you also indulge in this pastime of Engine 'ole gawping.  Maybe a thread where you post a picture of an engine you admire or your own engine room could be of interest.

Our own little motor is a Sabb 2g 22hp (1977).

20180427_172821.jpg

20180427_172732.jpg

Edited by Peter-Bullfinch
  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Peter-Bullfinch said:

I very much enjoy looking into other folks engine rooms. It's  raining hard today  so most boats have their side doors shut. It crossed my mind that some of you also indulge in this pastime of Engine 'ole gasping.  Maybe a thread where you post a picture of an engine you admire or your own engine room could be of interest.

Our own little motor is a Sabb 2g 22hp (1977).

You would be had pushed to find my BD3 in all the crap in there.

Some nice bits of hardware, congrats to the keepers. Am curious as to how the copper pipe is coiled, presumably some sort of former or similar but how is it done without squashing? I have used pipe bender for domestic stuff at home but these only bend as far as 90 degrees or so.

M T Hatfield, air start Lister Blackstone.  Hoping to get round to sprucing up the paintwork, this year.  Majority of the pipe work is copper, so would keep someone in a full time job polishing it, I'll be happy to give it a coat of paint, lol...

IMG_0053.JPG

IMG_0055.JPG

IMG_0056.JPG

This is Kennet's engine. There is a bit more room in a short boat's engine room, though the JP3 is really too large. The photo was taken in 2012, when we were beginning to spend the Heritage Lottery money, which accounts for the generator in the background. The brass is now polished a little better, but L&LC boats never had much in the way of polished brass as the boats were too busy to waste time in polishing.

2012 Kennet.jpg

Probably not quite what the OP intended, but just to balance things out, here is a piccy of the engine in our old boat:-

015.jpg

Edited by David Schweizer

I can't remember what my engine room looks like, and I hope I do not get to see too much of it when we try to get the boat off the river Thames next weekend. If I remember correctly there was a little rust and loads of cobwebs - and a little blue engine somewhere in the depths that is certain to upset know it all 'enthusiasts' in the future :captain:

9 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

I can't remember what my engine room looks like, and I hope I do not get to see too much of it when we try to get the boat off the river Thames next weekend. If I remember correctly there was a little rust and loads of cobwebs - and a little blue engine somewhere in the depths that is certain to upset know it all 'enthusiasts' in the future :captain:

Given your wealth of knowledge on old working boats Pete,  I cannot believe that you do not know exactly what engine your new boat has, when it was fitted, and by whom.

52 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

These are not true engine 'oles - or at least not like ours has......

I can't see an Elsan or Porta Potty in any one of those pictured so far!

Check the pic of TYCHO's stripped engine.