Hallmark 70ft is a maybe

70liveaboard

Featured Posts

57 minutes ago, dccruiser said:

I Looked at a halmark a few years ago, that one was fitted out by east coast caravans, i believe they did a few based on the sub 45'  halmark shells

Rick

Could it perhaps have been from Eastern Caravans - again, from the Peterboroughj area?

3 hours ago, Athy said:

Could it perhaps have been from Eastern Caravans - again, from the Peterboroughj area?

Sorry yes that's the one ... saw more than one fitted by them , the cruiser stern version was easy to spot as they had a gas locker on each side of the rear doors on the rear deck 

Rick

At the time we saw the first cheaper boat shells in Yorkshire, although it was early 90's pre Wales, they had just the one large gas locker to the port side of the stern door. There was no sliding hatch and the door was offset into the bulkhead on the starboard side (steps down in the stern deck, bad design really, looked good though). I can't recall Eastern Caravans ever being mentioned, but it could be right, although I feel it would be more likely that they bought shells from Hallmark, then fitted them out for themselves.

The overall design of the cheaper end boats didn't change, IIRC. We visited a few times, last being 1998 at Deeside and the shells were the same design, I remember mentioning the steps in the stern deck. Hallmark built shells for other builders occasionally though.

I know they didn't use outside fitters, so every boat was fitted by Hallmark staff. From around 96-97 all boat shells were built in-house, most coming from the other site, not Wales. But all under the Hallmark unbrella. They had quite a number of staff working at both sites, so a shame really, many were out of work later around the year 2000. Prior that 96 period, it was mainly Dave Clarke shells, mixed with in-house (Hallmark) and a few other builders they used around. They also had a third site in Yorkshire they kept on for a very short time, only built a few shells from there though, then closed it. That was run over there by a fairly well known marina owner (now), won't say who. Not sure if he worked directly or contracted.

Edited by 70liveaboard

2 hours ago, 70liveaboard said:

There was no sliding hatch and the door was offset into the bulkhead on the starboard side (steps down in the stern deck, bad design really, looked good though).

Quite common on older boats at the budget end of the market - a lot of Springers had this arrangement. I suppose it saved on the cost of the steelwork.

3 hours ago, 70liveaboard said:

At the time we saw the first cheaper boat shells in Yorkshire, although it was early 90's pre Wales, they had just the one large gas locker to the port side of the stern door. There was no sliding hatch and the door was offset into the bulkhead on the starboard side (steps down in the stern deck, bad design really, looked good though). I can't recall Eastern Caravans ever being mentioned, but it could be right, although I feel it would be more likely that they bought shells from Hallmark, then fitted them out for themselves.

The overall design of the cheaper end boats didn't change, IIRC. We visited a few times, last being 1998 at Deeside and the shells were the same design, I remember mentioning the steps in the stern deck. Hallmark built shells for other builders occasionally though.

I know they didn't use outside fitters, so every boat was fitted by Hallmark staff. From around 96-97 all boat shells were built in-house, most coming from the other site, not Wales. But all under the Hallmark unbrella. They had quite a number of staff working at both sites, so a shame really, many were out of work later around the year 2000. Prior that 96 period, it was mainly Dave Clarke shells, mixed with in-house (Hallmark) and a few other builders they used around. They also had a third site in Yorkshire they kept on for a very short time, only built a few shells from there though, then closed it. That was run over there by a fairly well known marina owner (now), won't say who. Not sure if he worked directly or contracted.

Dave Clarke - that's the name I couldn't remember - was/is he in Peterborough?

You're right about the poor design of rear door, steps drain into bilge- can never get dry bilge.

I ordered and collected my boat from the agents in Yorkshire- Saville Town, Dewsbury.

Edited by pig

10 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Wasn't he involved with four other guys, but I think they were together in Tottenham.

He was the one who was arrested for feeling Glad all over. He was in bits and pieces after that.

On 30/04/2018 at 08:56, Neil Smith said:

As far as I know Dave Clarke is still building shells on the same site in notts as xr&d and Paul widdowson who built my shell, there was also another on the same site can't remember his name

Neil

Nice to hear. He must be getting on in years now.. :)

____

Pottering through the pages on the Duck, as you do when bored. We spotted this http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/boat.phtml?id=565119

this is almost certainly a Hallmark boat. We could be wrong, but that shell and parts of the interior look like one of the budget range they built.

Nice little boat though. Maybe a little too high on price, although new'ish engine could up it to their price.

That shell could well be a Dave Clarke, built for Hallmark. Or, perhaps a Hallmark shell.

So many boats on the Duck seem to mention the wrong builders.

If someone knows of 'Harmony' builders, they could perhaps correct us here.

8 hours ago, 70liveaboard said:

Nice to hear. He must be getting on in years now.. :)

____

Pottering through the pages on the Duck, as you do when bored. We spotted this http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/boat.phtml?id=565119

this is almost certainly a Hallmark boat. We could be wrong, but that shell and parts of the interior look like one of the budget range they built.

Nice little boat though. Maybe a little too high on price, although new'ish engine could up it to their price.

That shell could well be a Dave Clarke, built for Hallmark. Or, perhaps a Hallmark shell.

So many boats on the Duck seem to mention the wrong builders.

If someone knows of 'Harmony' builders, they could perhaps correct us here.

Nice little boat, that. :)

Price is probably about right. Maybe a couple of grand to be knocked off.