Help save our mooring !

norman18grp

Featured Posts

Signed, with great pleasure. How do BW pick say, 28 boats?? Do they draw straws, or come round to the moorings and you all play musical chairs? Or is it just the waterways manager who lines all the moorers up, and says "Dib dib dib, your blue ship, hasnt got a mooring anymore!"

On the Lancaster canal they are now only letting BW moorings to the highest bidder through 'tender'!! Dont know if that applies elswhere???

I've not yet signed the petition, before I do, can somesome please explain the apparent lack of BW licences on the boats on Beeston Cut?Towpath Talk suggests that only half have valid licences. I've just returned from a two week holiday down the Trent and travelled through the Beeston Cut, counting myself there appeared to be only 8 out of 15 with valid displayed licences on the side at risk of BW action.Having discussed this with many fellow boaters on my trip, many seemed unwilling to support the petition due to the number of unlicenced boaters.I'm sure clarification would help the cause.

Opps, I'm confusing two similar stories in the same area.

Still be interested in knowing about the Beeston Cut though.

Edited by Rob B

I've not yet signed the petition, before I do, can somesome please explain the apparent lack of BW licences on the boats on Beeston Cut?Towpath Talk suggests that only half have valid licences. I've just returned from a two week holiday down the Trent and travelled through the Beeston Cut, counting myself there appeared to be only 8 out of 15 with valid displayed licences on the side at risk of BW action.Having discussed this with many fellow boaters on my trip, many seemed unwilling to support the petition due to the number of unlicenced boaters.I'm sure clarification would help the cause.

Opps, I'm confusing two similar stories in the same area.

Still be interested in knowing about the Beeston Cut though.

You must be mistaken. According to BW there are only 8 craft throughout the 6 miles of the Nottingham-Beeston canal that are unlicenced.

The petition is not about un-licensed boats, its about BW closing legitimate moorings.

Removing paying customers from their moorings to try and force them into a new marina to pad it out is what we are fighting against.

Boaters that do not pay their way are the problem of British Waterways, not ours. However Bw's argument that on-line moorings detract from other peoples enjoyment of the waterways is untenable, while these boats exist on the waterways on-line.

That is our point.

They cant have it both ways.

QED

Edited by Neil.A

I've not yet signed the petition, before I do, can somesome please explain the apparent lack of BW licences on the boats on Beeston Cut?Towpath Talk suggests that only half have valid licences. I've just returned from a two week holiday down the Trent and travelled through the Beeston Cut, counting myself there appeared to be only 8 out of 15 with valid displayed licences on the side at risk of BW action.Having discussed this with many fellow boaters on my trip, many seemed unwilling to support the petition due to the number of unlicenced boaters.I'm sure clarification would help the cause.Opps, I'm confusing two similar stories in the same area.Still be interested in knowing about the Beeston Cut though.
Heres the thing I thought there was a lot of boats without lics on beeston cut till last week when i was informed that most of the craft have lics but bw have not issued them why not most of them dont have a BSC so bw wont issue the lics till they get a bsc but they have taken the money Edited by denis boyle

Bw claim to have a problem with boaters not licenceing their boats. But I don't think they realise there will be more unlicenced boats on the cut, if they evict us all from Sawley, Beeston and Thurmaston as we have not been offered any other suitable mooring. If you don't have a mooring you can't get a licence unless you are a continuous cruiser. I certainly won't be that as i need to stay within the Sawley area for educational purpose and work commitments. And i won't be forced into a marina.

So as you see unlicenced boats will be a bigger problem after April next year if BW get there way.

Lisa

As I said in an earlier post

Do you think the average Hire boater can tell the difference between unofficial and official online moorers ?

I don't ! I wonder how many return to their bases and complain about online moorings ?

We all get tarnished by the same brush !!!

I'm sure the Hire companies pass their complaints on to Bw .

Money talks and large commercial operations carry alot of weight with Bw !

Did I not get rubbished for that comment ?

Yet Rob has just proved my point

If BW can rid our system of the illegal moorers, us legal ones will stand a better chance

And before I get the commission for human rights on my back , some of the people on those illegal boats in nottingham get up to some even more illegal activities in the local area .

So when the curtain twitches start complaining to the authorities about boats in the area they usually start for valid reasons but unfortunately normal boaters get caught in the crossfire !

The issue of illegal boats though separate from our cause is one I think in part is one of the factors leading to the decision to close moorings .

I hope we can sway you Rob we need all the help we can get.

Hi Simon - just read through the entire thread again. First time I've had a little time on my hands for a few weeks.

A little while ago I was chatting to someone from your area, and just inquired if he knew anything about your problem. He said your side used to be visitor moorings, that have been taken over by permanent moorers, so there is no room for visitors. The permanent moorers are on the other side.

Now I am NOT trying to say you should not stay etc. I'm sure you know that, but can you clarify the situation. Trouble is he might have been talking years ago, and things change quickly of course.

I think??? the Chapel Hill moorings are safe, for now. No good to me, except my friend let me stay over for the winter. He paid £200 (I think) for the year. If you've a 30ft (or more) boat though, it's a big saving, as you don't require a licence as it's EA water.

Hi Simon - just read through the entire thread again. First time I've had a little time on my hands for a few weeks.

A little while ago I was chatting to someone from your area, and just inquired if he knew anything about your problem. He said your side used to be visitor moorings, that have been taken over by permanent moorers, so there is no room for visitors. The permanent moorers are on the other side.

Now I am NOT trying to say you should not stay etc. I'm sure you know that, but can you clarify the situation. Trouble is he might have been talking years ago, and things change quickly of course.

I think??? the Chapel Hill moorings are safe, for now. No good to me, except my friend let me stay over for the winter. He paid £200 (I think) for the year. If you've a 30ft (or more) boat though, it's a big saving, as you don't require a licence as it's EA water.

Hi

Just to clarify our moorings. At Sawley there is over half a mile of mooring space and the visitor moorings take up more space than us long term moorers. From the visitor mooring post you can fit at least 15 70ft boats easy, but 140ft of that is taken up with 2 BW working boats which have been moored at sawley for over 2 years that I know of.

The visitor moorings at the Marina have been took up with long term moorers so I expect this is what the person was talking about. The Marina have decided to change their visitor moorings into long term moorings, which doesn't help visitors to the marina now , because they have to moor on the visitor mooring on the opposite side (same Side as us) and walk all they way round to enter the marina, not so good if you have anything heavy to carry.

Have a look at the mooring space all though this doesn't show all the moorings.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/norman18grp/

Lisa

• 1 month later...

It says research has shown canalside moorings are unpopular with walkers, cyclists, anglers and other boat owners

Could someone please show me this research and the questions asked.

edited to point to new thread

New Thread Started Here!

Edited by reg

Could someone please show me this research and the questions asked.

edited to point to new thread

New Thread Started Here!

I have signed and fully support your posistion.

I currently more on line with bw and am becoming increasly concerned that this will soon be my situation as we have just had one marina opened on our pound and another due open before the years out.

It enoys me that on our 21 mile pound there are increasing number of liveaboard boats on un official moorings. I am not a live aboard but use my boat most weekends but all the nice moorings are taken by liveaboards that just never seem to move. Mentioning no names i know of a liveaboard boat that came out of a local marina and moved half mile away to an un offical mooring it has now been there 9 months and other trips to water point it never moves. How can bw allow this to happen it makes me so mad.

There is a 45ft ish boat being lived on on an official mooring which has built a rabbit type cage and fenced off part of the towpath for there own use.

There is plenty more i could go on for ever

HOW CAN THIS BE ALLOWED TO HAPPEN COME ON BW SORT YOUR F*****G ACT OUT.