Winding hole

Paul & Julia

Featured Posts

Hi all

Just a quick question.

Not having a Nicolsons handy for the Grand Union can anybody tell me if it is possible to turn a 63 ft boat in the winding hole immediately south of the southern Blisworth tunnel entrance or do I have to continue through two locks before turning.

Thanks

Paul

27 minutes ago, Paul & Julia said:

Hi all

Just a quick question.

Not having a Nicolsons handy for the Grand Union can anybody tell me if it is possible to turn a 63 ft boat in the winding hole immediately south of the southern Blisworth tunnel entrance or do I have to continue through two locks before turning.

Thanks

Paul

Quick answer: yes and no.

Edited by koukouvagia
  • Haha 1

Machpoint005

I asked a simple non confrontational question which others had the capacity to answer in a constructive manner.

Your answer alas not fit that assessment.

Please give a little more thought should you choose to respond to similar mail.

Thank you to those who gave a sensible reply.

• Unimpressed 2

1 hour ago, Paul & Julia said:

Machpoint005

I asked a simple non confrontational question which others had the capacity to answer in a constructive manner.

Jeeeeeeeeeeesus Paul. 31 posts in eleven years. Although Machpoint has no idea  about politics ? hes a damn fine contributer to the forum and was having a jest as many of us do. Remember life aint serious so take a chill pill ?

56 minutes ago, matty40s said:

I can turn my 70 footer there if it helps.

Thats seven feet too long for the op though innitt ?

• Greenie 3

My thoughts here are with Matchpoint - 'what does it matter?'. If you can't turn there , then you go through a couple of locks to the next winding hole (assuming there is one).  But without a Nicholson's guide (or any guide) how do you know there is a winding hole 2 locks  away, or one just south of Blisworth come to that.

And if it either, or neither, are proper 'winding' holes they will be good for 70 ft (and if you can't turn a 63 f boat, for whatever reason - then something is wrong and worth reporting).

3 hours ago, Paul & Julia said:

Machpoint005

Spend a few years on here, and whilst you may not enjoy my facetiousness, you will at least come to expect it.

(also known as 'general Northern bluntness')

Horace

Quite unbelievable the response to a very simple question.

In answer to your comment, if planning is required then planning I shall do and whilst having some knowledge of this section of canal ie, tunnel, winding hole and locks is it not reasonable to seek guidance from better informed folk?

Referring to Mrsmelly comment on my number of posts I must have missed part of the briefing as silly me I didn't realise that the comparison of 6000 odd posts against my 31 meant that a disregard of sensible dialogue became an entitlement.

End of question.

• Unimpressed 3

7 hours ago, Paul & Julia said:

Hi all

Just a quick question.

Thanks

Paul

CaRT do downloadable boaters guides that are usually fairly accurate, which I find are a good adjunct to the Nicholson's. Better for up to date contact numbers, planned stoppages and so on. The GU one shows a full length 70' winding hole between the tunnel and top lock at Blisworth, but no other official winding hole till the bottom of the flight. Eight years since I was last there, so can't remember what is there a couple of locks down.

Jen

27 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

CaRT do downloadable boaters guides that are usually fairly accurate, which I find are a good adjunct to the Nicholson's. Better for up to date contact numbers, planned stoppages and so on. The GU one shows a full length 70' winding hole between the tunnel and top lock at Blisworth, but no other official winding hole till the bottom of the flight. Eight years since I was last there, so can't remember what is there a couple of locks down.

Jen

Can also look at their online map and details.

4 hours ago, Paul & Julia said:

Horace

Quite unbelievable the response to a very simple question.

In answer to your comment, if planning is required then planning I shall do and whilst having some knowledge of this section of canal ie, tunnel, winding hole and locks is it not reasonable to seek guidance from better informed folk?

Referring to Mrsmelly comment on my number of posts I must have missed part of the briefing as silly me I didn't realise that the comparison of 6000 odd posts against my 31 meant that a disregard of sensible dialogue became an entitlement.

End of question.

I am sorry you find my response is believable, but I can assure you it is 100% true. I wrote it myself.....and in my defence it was in response to  'just a quick question' - not one you have since changed to simple - where the answers might have been different had you said so at the outset - albeit the replies to date are all very entertaining if not the ones you wanted - and an insight to the 'thinking' of contributors - that depends on a sense of humour - something we all need to survive the cut-and-thrust of this forum. 

Personally I like the matty answer #19. It all adds to the fun of this forum - except I don't know how to post what used to be 'greenies', or how to boost a 'reputation'...whatever that is !

10 hours ago, Rickent said:

Sounds like yes, you can wind and no, you don't need to go through two locks to turn round.

And if you do go down 2 locks, I don't think you will be able to turn 63 feet anywhere in the long pound, will you?

So if you don't turn at the top, I think you need to go at least 3 locks down before you can, (it's 4 locks down for a 72 footer).

4 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Jen

4 locks down you can turn 72 feet, provided the pounds are not too low.  Some say you can 3 locks down, but 4 locks  down is tight enough I don't want any more excitement than that, so I have never tried after 3.

18 hours ago, Horace42 said:

Personally I like the matty answer #19. It all adds to the fun of this forum - except I don't know how to post what used to be 'greenies', or how to boost a 'reputation'...whatever that is !

To give a "greenie" (or to show a range of emotions from love to hate), simply press on the "up arrow" symbol in the bottom right hand corner oof each post, and click on the greenie "up arrow" or the emoticon depicting the motion you want to show. All add to the posters reputional score.

Edited by cuthound
Missing word
  • Greenie 1

19 hours ago, cuthound said:

To give a "greenie" (or to show a range of emotions from love to hate), simply press on the "up arrow" symbol in the bottom right hand corner oof each post, and click on the greenie "up arrow" or the emoticon depicting the motion you want to show. All add to the posters reputional score.

Whoops! I thought the ''up arrow'' button was  "go to the top of the page'' - but apparently not, and as it didn't, I stopped using it - but that was ages ago. But back then some people might have been given 'greenies' by mistake.

I clicked on it in thanks for your help - but I did not select a 'face'. ??? .... I'm still on the toe of the learning curve. 

Edit: Added Happy emoticon (I think)  to matty #19

Edited by Horace42
added Happy emoticon (I think) to matty #19