Canal plan

kremmen

Featured Posts

26 minutes ago, kremmen said:

I can't seem to access this . Is it me or has the site gone?

Paul

I hate to see posts like this, they cause panic until I hear that it was a false alarm!

I'd be lost without Canalplan. Especially if I have somehow managed to come to the boat for a trip and forgotten to bring my Nicholson's (the first and hopefully last time I do this).

23 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

I hate to see posts like this, they cause panic until I hear that it was a false alarm!

I'd be lost without Canalplan. Especially if I have somehow managed to come to the boat for a trip and forgotten to bring my Nicholson's (the first and hopefully last time I do this).

You could always adopt the working boaters method - commit it all to memory! As may of them were unable to read or write maps, signposts books were of no use to them.?

1 minute ago, Ray T said:

You could always adopt the working boaters method - commit it all to memory! As may of them were unable to read or write maps, signposts books were of no use to them.?

Fortunately this short trip (Calcutt to Marston Junction and back) covers the patch we've done more than any other  so that's pretty much what I have done.

That won't work on what I hope to do for our next trip which is planned to be down the GU to beyond Milton Keynes. That's the one direction (i.e. anywhere south of Norton Junction) that we haven't yet done so Canalplan and Nicholson will be getting a lot of use.

I'll try to commit it to memory for the future!

Mind you, with advancing years that may not be as easy as it would have been in the past.

4 hours ago, Lily Rose said:

Why not leave the Nicholson's on board all the time?

I have an early set at home (because the actual canal route doesn't change) and a newer set on board.

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

Why not leave the Nicholson's on board all the time?

I have an early set at home (because the actual canal route doesn't change) and a newer set on board.

I knew someone would ask that!

I like to keep them at home to use for planning the next trip and I normally then stick them in my "must take to the boat next time" cardboard box. This time I forgot for some reason. 

If my boat was at the bottom of the garden I would leave them on it! But who amongst us is in that fortunate position?

4 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

I knew someone would ask that!

I like to keep them at home to use for planning the next trip and I normally then stick them in my "must take to the boat next time" cardboard box. This time I forgot for some reason. 

If my boat was at the bottom of the garden I would leave them on it! But who amongst us is in that fortunate position?

Sooner or later you will replace them with a newer set.

When you do, take the old set home.

My home set date back to the late 70's, early 80's, when 3 sets covered the whole network and North was a movable feast (indeed they "bent" the canal to fit it alongside the text on each page, so there could be two north's on a single page).

Before that I used the British Waterways guides which depicted the canal as a straight line.

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

Sooner or later you will replace them with a newer set.

When you do, take the old set home.

My home set date back to the late 70's, early 80's, when 3 sets covered the whole network and North was a movable feast (indeed they "bent" the canal to fit it alongside the text on each page, so there could be two north's on a single page).

Before that I used the British Waterways guides which depicted the canal as a straight line.

When I had a share in a boat I kept a set at home and sometimes took relevant ones to the boat when on it. The set on the boat soon became a mixture of pristine volumes and very tatty ones.

Now I have my own boat I thought that was all behind me. Instead I buy more Nicholson's then ever. My Daughter uses the boat for a few weeks each year, 'borrows' my home set to plan journey's and god only knows what she does with the ones she uses while on the boat.

I replace 2 or 3 a year.