CRT Logo - comments

Laurence Hogg

Featured Posts

9 minutes ago, Tanglewood said:

This is very true.  

The key differences between CRT and the brands you have mentioned are

• that with the exception of Nike, their logos bear more than a passing resemblance to their name
  • they have a product that people buy, 
  • CRT has no product and, as far as I can see doesn't know what it is they want people to 'buy' in to
  • CRT can only sell licenses

Charities need logos that stand for the area they support,  without copying them her, I bet we all know Red Cross, British Heart Foundation, National Trust, And guess what figures in Save the Children, Cats Protection, Dog's trust and Woodland Trust

Maybe this fulfils the requirements :

A CaRT is in the picture, and the the rest portrays the product on offer (a muddy ditch with insufficient water to float a boat)

Shopping trolley lodged in mud at bottom of canal, exposed when canal drained Stock Photo

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

Why is anyone bothering. CRT don't listen, don't want to listen. They'll ride roughshod over boaters, because they can. Anyone got any ideas on how to make CRT take notice. Yes. But, every time it's mentioned, most of the support is for keeping a dodgy system that I'd like to see end. CRT can rely on boaters to scupper any incentive to break CRT's deaf ear strategy.

11 minutes ago, Tanglewood said:

I think this is the logo that has all but been erased from digital history

melbury.gif.c014964dbc7b1a8ed5122a56aad42038.gif

That's the one - but - it was available without the word 'leisure'.

I think suitable 'words' were added depending on the 'division' as necessary.

(Leisure, Commercial, Engineering, Maintenance etc)

A nice clean, simple logo that says who they are (and in this case the 'division' with which you are in communication with)

Edited by Alan de Enfield

53 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Those are BW Transport logos.

The BW logo was simply British Waterways Board and a wobbly blue wave (no 'life-ring') as per my post #74

Those logos are what was applied to the first BW hire boats built at Bradley yard. We have them on file due to having built models for the national boat show stand BW had at Earls Court.

I am going to print a copy of the new logo and laminate it. Then carry it with us on our boat - probably displayed alongside my cruising license and mooring license.

It will then be handy to use when we come across jammed paddles or lock gates or shallow moorings or any other obstacle holding us up - I will be able to wave the logo at it - and hey-presto with all the CRT weight and authority behind it - everything will immediately and miraculously burst into life and full working order.

Now that can't be bad!

43 minutes ago, Horace42 said:

I am going to print a copy of the new logo and laminate it. Then carry it with us on our boat - probably displayed alongside my cruising license and mooring license.

It will then be handy to use when we come across jammed paddles or lock gates or shallow moorings or any other obstacle holding us up - I will be able to wave the logo at it - and hey-presto with all the CRT weight and authority behind it - everything will immediately and miraculously burst into life and full working order.

Now that can't be bad!

mmm.... good luck with that - but with great power comes great responsibility, so I think that is a 'great' idea.

55 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That's the one - but - it was available without the word 'leisure'.

I think suitable 'words' were added depending on the 'division' as necessary.

(Leisure, Commercial, Engineering, Maintenance etc)

A nice clean, simple logo that says who they are (and in this case the 'division' with which you are in communication with)

Quite right - it was actually a brilliant symbol.  But I probably only feel that because it was very familiar.  Perhaps BW felt it suggested that if you were on a canal it was OK to make waves - which of course is not alright at all.

3 hours ago, Tanglewood said:

I think this is the logo that has all but been erased from digital history

melbury.gif.c014964dbc7b1a8ed5122a56aad42038.gif

... so much so that nobody has corrected it on Flags of the World -

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=british+waterways+logo&client=ubuntu&hs=Hcv&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi6tqe1p-DaAhVhDMAKHV-_AGcQ7AkIQQ&biw=1889&bih=925#imgrc=te0836xj53XDJM:

On 27/04/2018 at 13:11, Alan de Enfield said:

Donations = £2.9 million

DEFRA Grant = £50 million

Property = £46.9 million

BWML = £8.1 million

Charitable Income (whatever that means ?) = £31.3 million

Obviously the BWML income can be disregarded for future calculations.

These figures relate to gross income. Can you provide net income figures?

To start you off -

Donation Gross Income = £2.9 million

Donation Expenditure = £3.7 million

Donation Net Income = - £800,000

Put another way, C&RT spent £3.7m last year on charitable giving but only raised £2.9m - a loss of £800,000

Anyone want a stab at the net figure for Defra Grant, Property and BWML?

59 minutes ago, Allan(nb Albert) said:

Donation Expenditure = £3.7 million

Howe on earth did they spend £3.7m on donation expenditure?

That figure isn't credible at first sight. Do you have a source explaining it please? Many thanks.

I'm sure you must have but it all seems a bit unlikely.

6 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Howe on earth did they spend £3.7m on donation expenditure?

That figure isn't credible at first sight. Do you have a source explaining it please? Many thanks.

I'm sure you must have but it all seems a bit unlikely.

The source is the latest annual  report 2016/17 page 61 - CONSOLIDATED STATEMENT OF FINANCIAL ACTIVITIES FOR THE YEAR ENDED 31 MARCH 2017. You will see the gross income figure of £2.9m and expenditure figure of £3.7m.

I'm not sure why you feel it unlikely - C&RT has always made a loss on voluntary income (i.e. donations and legacies).

Income and expenditure to raise quoted  income :

"Voluntary income" = Income £2.9m & Expenditure £3.7m

"Boating Activities" = Income £44.7m & Expenditure = £11.5m

"Utilities" = Income £27m & Expenditure = £2.8m

"Managing Investments" = Income £46.9m & Expenditure £7.7m

9 hours ago, Allan(nb Albert) said:

Anyone want a stab at the net figure for Defra Grant, Property and BWML?

The BWML figures are unlikely to be a true representation. As part of a 'group' it is easy to make the figures 'fit the situation' 

eg BWML could be paying £ millions as a 'head office charge' making BWML lossmaking and able to offset some taxes.

Divisional accounts are worthless.

13 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Income and expenditure to raise quoted  income :

"Voluntary income" = Income £2.9m & Expenditure £3.7m

"Boating Activities" = Income £44.7m & Expenditure = £11.5m

"Utilities" = Income £27m & Expenditure = £2.8m

"Managing Investments" = Income £46.9m & Expenditure £7.7m

The BWML figures are unlikely to be a true representation. As part of a 'group' it is easy to make the figures 'fit the situation' 

eg BWML could be paying £ millions as a 'head office charge' making BWML lossmaking and able to offset some taxes.

Divisional accounts are worthless.

It's not a division, it is a limited company with C&RT being the sole shareholder.

2 minutes ago, Allan(nb Albert) said:

It's not a division, it is a limited company with C&RT being the sole shareholder.

The company I 'managed' was a limited company and was part of a larger limited company, the 'parent' company was the sole stockholder but each year my profits (around £10m on £55m t/o) were totally wiped out by transfer and head office charging.

Could we use British waterways now as with devolution Scotland and Wales have the right to use their country so Scottish Waterways etc.

English Waterways is the way to go Bring all waterways under the same authority and have a logo competition for junior school children to design .

4 hours ago, Allan(nb Albert) said:

I'm not sure why you feel it unlikely - C&RT has always made a loss on voluntary income (i.e. donations and legacies).

I feel it is unlikely only because I can't imagine how to spend £3.7m so fast on a few tents and posters. 

Maybe the lion's share is of it is paid out in salaries. Even so how many are on the books charged with fundraising that a wage bill of £3m gets racked up?

(I am just wondering. Not challenging you or saying I think you are wrong.)

21 hours ago, LadyG said:

I assume the CEO set the initiative in motion and controlled the budget.

All CEO's are expected to come up with new ideas, its what they do, why they are appointed.

If they' re not "home grown", they move on, with a big pension boost and a golden goodbye. Its how things work. If they upset enough knowlegeable senior employees along the way, the organisation ends up full of new executives, new initiatives and complete loss of focus.

I think we are nearly there.

Any honest, half-decent designer should tell you that changing a company logo is a serious matter and shouldn't be done lightly. Depending on your marketing budget, it can take years to get the new logo recognised. If you change it too often, you run the risk of confusing people rather than establishing a new improved brand.

20 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The world's top recognised logos are :

Nike, Apple, Coca-Cola and McDonalds - none of which bear any semblance to the products they offer.

A logo is simply a 'badge' that is simple and recognisable it means 'nothing' other than a recognition of what is on offer

The company needs to build a brand that is 'trustworthy, respectable and reliable' and then attach a logo to it such that whenever the logo is seen the 'customer' knows what they will get. ...

All these companies should be considered 'special cases'. They are global entities who throw millions of pounds/dollars at television, radio, online advertising and have multiple promotional departments around the world developing different media campaigns in different languages targeting different groups. THAT'S why seeing a 'swoosh' or pair of golden arches (it could be almost any icon) triggers their brand in our minds. 

For more lowly players like CRT -- who dabble with pushing the brand through cheap and cheerful Facebook 'ads', stencil painting slogans on lock beams, and attempting to draw attention to themselves through don't-feed-ducks-bread campaigns -- I think a little visual reference to water and the green environment (even, heaven forbid, its industrial heritage) wouldn't go amiss.

Just a thought.

7 minutes ago, Jim Batty said:

For more lowly players like CRT -- who dabble with pushing the brand through cheap and cheerful Facebook 'ads', stencil painting slogans on lock beams, and attempting to draw attention to themselves through don't-feed-ducks-bread campaigns -- I think a little visual reference to water and the green environment (even, heaven forbid, its industrial heritage) wouldn't go amiss.

Completely agree - which is why I think either leave well alone, or, revert to the simple 'blue wave' of the old BW logo, or something stylised with text wrap around it (if they want to make it circular):

Image result for canal logo with boat

8 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Completely agree - which is why I think either leave well alone, or, revert to the simple 'blue wave' of the old BW logo, or something stylised with text wrap around it (if they want to make it circular):

Image result for canal logo with boat

Nice, large front cabin windows!