Spanish Windlass

Featured Posts

Struggled to open a top gate earlier today so used a spanish windlass to open it.  

Yep, there'll be people very familiar with this method, an old and tested method I guess, but anyone who’s not tried it will find it useful. Just tie it from the lock beam to a bollard or post. It don’t take many turns with a bit of wood. Very simple and very effective. 

15 minutes ago, stagedamager said:

No one expects... the Spanish Windlass....

Actually, according to QI, everybody who was inquisited knew it was going to happen because the inquisitors used to give 30 days notice in writing... ?

Met a bloke last year using an acroprop to open lock 5 on the Rufford Branch.

"They've all been like this - lack of bloody maintenance." he said.

"I have just caught up with you and not needed one" I said.

Then I noticed he wasn't bothering to open the offside paddles.

"Oh," he said, "There's no need to cross over and do them - I have a prop!"

The balance beam was bending about a foot before the gates moved.  The level was 5" off at the time.

We found ouselves using a similar technique last year on the Huddersfield, but also on the Rochdale 9 into Manchester where the water was pouring over the locks, the worst example however was Oxclose Lock on the Ripon Canal where the water was coming under the top gate cill faster than the bottom gate paddles could empty it. I also use a 'Truckers dolly knot' which enables you to get good tension between the bollard and gate beam and then pull sideways on the tense rope to open the gate.

4 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

The balance beam was bending about a foot before the gates moved.  The level was 5" off at the time.

I did the rufford last year and the locks were fine. To use an acroprop rather than walk around? The bloke was clearly bonkers. 

6 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

We found ouselves using a similar technique last year on the Huddersfield, but also on the Rochdale 9 into Manchester where the water was pouring over the locks, the worst example however was Oxclose Lock on the Ripon Canal where the water was coming under the top gate cill faster than the bottom gate paddles could empty it. I also use a 'Truckers dolly knot' which enables you to get good tension between the bollard and gate beam and then pull sideways on the tense rope to open the gate.

Well there’s a another new one to try. I’ll give it a go. Thanks

18 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Standing on the line is easier, you just need a bit of weight behind you.

If you are too skinny for this, I recommend a few pints in the nearest pub until it works :)

17 minutes ago, Goliath said:

I did the rufford last year and the locks were fine. To use an acroprop rather than walk around? The bloke was clearly bonkers. 

That was the conclusion I came to as well.

It was going down the flight, so he was stood next to the footbridge anyway! 

He was nowhere in sight when I started the flight singlehanding, and I caught him by lock 5.  He didn't need to use the prop on 6 or 7 ...

9 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

After you'd thrown them both in the canal, did either climb out?

Beggars belief, doesn't it. :judge:

1 hour ago, NB Lola said:

I have also used a Spanish windlass, El Bow.

Had to be said.

Virtual greeno for that!

I had not hear dof a Spanish windlass before and after reading the opening post I'm afraid I'm none the wiser. You tie "it" to the bollard and you give a few turns with a piece of wood? Tie what, please? It sounds like something to do with the principle of levers but I can't envisage it.

8 minutes ago, Athy said:

Virtual greeno for that!

I had not hear dof a Spanish windlass before and after reading the opening post I'm afraid I'm none the wiser. You tie "it" to the bollard and you give a few turns with a piece of wood? Tie what, please? It sounds like something to do with the principle of levers but I can't envisage it.

Rope.

Neil

14 minutes ago, Athy said:

Virtual greeno for that!

Make a loop. Put ends over the two fixed points.Insert lever in between, and twist.Careful not to let go  of the lever, as it will rapidly unwind and is potentially dangerous to nearby persons.

hb106tp01-01-main.jpg

Edited by rusty69

2 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Make a loop. Put ends over the two fixed points.Insert lever in between, and twist.Careful not to let go  of the lever, as it will rapidly unwind and is potentially dangerous to nearby persons.

Thank you. I don't quite see how it would work but I'm getting the idea. Is or was this technique used in Spain?

I've heard of a "Spanish dinner", and had one sometimes in my younger days, but the Spanish windlass is a new one on me.

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

Thank you. I don't quite see how it would work but I'm getting the idea. 

As you twist the rope loop, it gets shorter pulling together whatever the ends are secured to. If one is immovable (the bollard) the other end (the gate) does all the moving.

Just now, Sea Dog said:

As you twist the rope loop, it gets shorter pulling together whatever the ends are secured to. If one is immovable (the bollard) the other end (the gate) does all the moving.

Yes, that makes sense - so you put a length of wood between the two, make a loop around that and start twisting?