Britain powers on without coal for three days

matty40s

Featured Posts

Was Ratcliffe on Soar switched off then, as that is powered by coal?

Ratcliffe-on-Soar Power Station is a coal-fired power station owned and operated by Uniper at Ratcliffe-on-Soar in Nottinghamshire, England. Commissioned in 1968 by the Central Electricity Generating Board, the station has a capacity of 2,000 MW.

Ratcliffe-on-Soar_Power_Station_with_coal_train,_26th_March_2007.jpg

Edited by Ray T

17 minutes ago, MJG said:

Yup, we lit the stove yesterday and again today. Dog is happy though.

15245974418841246484821.jpg

Ahh so thats how you house dwellers keep warm in the winter.

22 minutes ago, matty40s said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43879564

Well sorry Britain, I almost succumbed yesterday but today let the side down and lit the bloody stove again.

It's lovely in here and the Ecofan is generating lots of wind to keep the UK's wind turbines moving.

Must try harder.

We lit ours too. ☹️

I have been following this subject on another site, its interesting in so much as the writing is on the wall for fossil fuel powered stations are going to be done for soon. A new breed of wind turbine [12.5 MW] is being developed and tested even as we speak. These new turbines will be offshore and have no subsidies, I never thought I would see it but I suspect clean green energy is just around the corner.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, peterboat said:

I have been following this subject on another site, its interesting in so much as the writing is on the wall for fossil fuel powered stations are going to be done for soon. A new breed of wind turbine [12.5 MW] is being developed and tested even as we speak. These new turbines will be offshore and have no subsidies, I never thought I would see it but I suspect clean green energy is just around the corner.

It always has been...
;-)

Whatever happened to that vertical type windmill that doesn't need to turn to face the wind (or is that the new turbine you are talking about)?

Seemed to me that it takes up less surface area per turbine and would cope better with swirling winds.

George

It’s a shame the turbines are such an eyesore.

Just out of interest, have the actual costs in kgs of CO2 created in the manufacturing, transporting to site, erecting and connecting to the grid, been calculated and set against the expected lifetime of the pylon and turbine?

Back when I was a “professional green” this was a subject we often debated.

10 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

It’s a shame the turbines are such an eyesore.

Just out of interest, have the actual costs in kgs of CO2 created in the manufacturing, transporting to site, erecting and connecting to the grid, been calculated and set against the expected lifetime of the pylon and turbine?

Back when I was a “professional green” this was a subject we often debated.

Shirley it wouldn't have been beyond the skill of the designer to make them look a little nicer ... but maybe we had a similar reaction when the wooden windmills started sprouting up everywhere :cheers:

flying pig.jpg

50 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

Presumably, the more "green" energy is produced, the larger the percentage of energy used in manufacture is "green" and we enter a virtuous circle.  I hope!

George

The turbines are an American design huge blades and are designed to be the floating at sea variety one is on test in Northumbria. The thing is the lack of subsidies which means we dont pay for lecce twice I will see if I can copy the link from the other site

1 hour ago, furnessvale said:

Whatever happened to that vertical type windmill that doesn't need to turn to face the wind (or is that the new turbine you are talking about)?

Seemed to me that it takes up less surface area per turbine and would cope better with swirling winds.

George

Think it is called a Savonious rotor or summat like that, there's three on poles at Madeley Acadamy near where I live, no idea if they actually work or not.

Wait till we have enough electric for 20 million cars to charge and 17 million homes to heat before you say fossil fuel is dead. Gas generates 40+ percent of our electricity and heats 75 percent of our buildings, coal may disappear but fossil fuel no.

• Greenie 2

3 hours ago, furnessvale said:

Whatever happened to that vertical type windmill that doesn't need to turn to face the wind.

They make a really horrible noise, unlike horizontal axis turbines. That's one important reason why nobody got planning permission for them (in commercial quantities anyway).

3 minutes ago, Detling said:

Wait till we have enough electric for 20 million cars to charge and 17 million homes to heat before you say fossil fuel is dead. Gas generates 40+ percent of our electricity and heats 75 percent of our buildings, coal may disappear but fossil fuel no.

Once those electric cars are connected to the grid it will be a two-way process.

The way to reduce the consumption of energy for heating is to legislate for really effective standards of insulation instead of farting about with it. 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Bee said:

Think it is called a Savonious rotor or summat like that, there's three on poles at Madeley Acadamy near where I live, no idea if they actually work or not.

The problem with all wind turbines is that the higher up you go, the more energy in there is in the wind -- and the converse. Wind shear didn't matter all that much with 20m or 30m hub heights, but now we are at 150m+ it's a real headache.

• Greenie 1

If by 2way process you mean the car battery can feed the grid you need to think of time of day. Solar is not there at night when the majority want to charge their cars, they certainly don't want the grid to flatten their battery for the morning school run and commute to work.

6 minutes ago, Detling said:

If by 2way process you mean the car battery can feed the grid you need to think of time of day. Solar is not there at night when the majority want to charge their cars, they certainly don't want the grid to flatten their battery for the morning school run and commute to work.

Who mentioned solar (presume you mean photovoltaic)?

It is already possible with existing technology to prevent people's battery banks going flat, and most cars spend nearly all their time on their keepers' front drives anyway.  Personally I'm sticking to my diesel car, which I rarely use at rush hour or in cities. 

• Greenie 1

52 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

They make a really horrible noise, unlike horizontal axis turbines. That's one important reason why nobody got planning permission for them (in commercial quantities anyway).

Once those electric cars are connected to the grid it will be a two-way process.

The way to reduce the consumption of energy for heating is to legislate for really effective standards of insulation instead of farting about with it. 

Wasn't there a report in the last year or so that showed an increase in the number of deaths due to overheating because homes were so well insulated that in the summer they became too hot for some people (not that we'd notice living in steel tubes).