Why today?

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

Ok so we have just had a few superb sunny boating days and a weekend for the working class to use their boats and we saw hardly anyone moving any of the days. Today it started ok so we set off and its started to rain so obviously we tied up and are staying put so why on a lousy rainy work day are there far more boats on the move? :blink:

5 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Ok so we have just had a few superb sunny boating days and a weekend for the working class to use their boats and we saw hardly anyone moving any of the days. Today it started ok so we set off and its started to rain so obviously we tied up and are staying put so why on a lousy rainy work day are there far more boats on the move? :blink:

It's obvious init'. On the weekend, all the people on the move, tied up to avoid the weekend crowds. The weekend crowds didnt turn up 'cause the weather forecast said downpours Noah would have been proud of. Weekend over, so all the 'movers' are on the move again.

On our local patch it was similar. Not much about on Sunday but Monday and tuesday there have been lots of boats moving.

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

You will see more boats whilst stationary, due to your relative speeds, so its Einsteins fault. Obvious innit.

Einstein never had a boat, did he?

6 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

It's obvious init'. On the weekend, all the people on the move, tied up to avoid the weekend crowds. The weekend crowds didnt turn up 'cause the weather forecast said downpours Noah would have been proud of. Weekend over, so all the 'movers' are on the move again.

On our local patch it was similar. Not much about on Sunday but Monday and tuesday there have been lots of boats moving.

Course he didn't,he had DeLorean though! He also had a bridge, as did Newton.

Looks like, he did have a boat as well as the DeLorean:-

http://www.einstein-website.de/z_biography/tuemmler-e.html

Edited by rusty69

3 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

You will see more boats whilst stationary, due to your relative speeds, so its Einsteins fault. Obvious innit.

Hang on clever dick! (!!!!! ?), If you are moving, you will see more boats moving in the opposite direction to you plus more stationary boats but less boats going in the same direction as you. I could write an equation but my brain would start to hurt. Overall, almost certainly the equation would favour the moving boat if there are lots of parked boats.

1 minute ago, Dr Bob said:

Hang on clever dick! (!!!!! ?), If you are moving, you will see more boats moving in the opposite direction to you plus more stationary boats but less boats going in the same direction as you. I could write an equation but my brain would start to hurt. Overall, almost certainly the equation would favour the moving boat if there are lots of parked boats.

Course you would. Mrsmelly however wouldn't As everyone knows which direction he is heading,they will all be going a bit faster than him ,in the same direction,to get away from him (thats why all the locks are against him).

6 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Wow, that's an interesting link. Good to see he had an ecofan on the boat. I didnt think they had been invented then!

I hate these threads where the OP posts the Op and then goes AWOL and doesnt respond to the points raised by subsequent posters. Bad form!?

Edited by Dr Bob
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Wow, that's an interesting link. Good to see he had an ecofan on the boat. I didnt think they had been invented then!

He invented them whilst sat on his composting bog contemplating black holes!

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

I hate these threads where the OP posts the Op and then goes AWOL and doesnt respond to the points raised by subsequent posters. Bad form!?

Probably gone down tpub, or having a bbq under a brella.

Edited by rusty69

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

It aint stopped and now its bloomin windy innitt ☹️

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

I know he's getting closer as it's not stopped raining all day.

I'm dreading it when passes through Barrow.

4 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

It rained today 'cause we was going up Hatton. It always rains when we have 21 wide locks to do and no where to stop in between.

But there were very few boats moving. Four in the whole flight, including us.

MP.

1 minute ago, MoominPapa said:

It rained today 'cause we was going up Hatton. It always rains when we have 21 wide locks to do and no where to stop in between.

But there were very few boats moving. Four in the whole flight, including us.

MP.

Thats my  kind of luck ?

4 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

We call that locking weather.  If there is no sleet what is the point of doing locks?

The queues tend to be shorter :D

Thanks for that link to the article about Einstein's boat rusty69, it's very interesting.

I couldn't see anything about an ecofan, it just said he had a spirit stove. On a small boat like that you wouldn't need to move the air about much anyway.

Sadly the article tells us that the Nazis confiscated the boat in 1933 then sold it off to some dentist living near Potsdam, and the whereabouts of the boat after the outbreak of the war is unknown; Einstein asked for its return in 1945 but without success. As the boat contained asbestos we can only console ourselves with the hope that some Nazis contracted lung diseases from it at some point. 

• Greenie 1

6 hours ago, Peter X said:

Thanks for that link to the article about Einstein's boat rusty69, it's very interesting.

I couldn't see anything about an ecofan, it just said he had a spirit stove. On a small boat like that you wouldn't need to move the air about much anyway.

Sadly the article tells us that the Nazis confiscated the boat in 1933 then sold it off to some dentist living near Potsdam, and the whereabouts of the boat after the outbreak of the war is unknown; Einstein asked for its return in 1945 but without success. As the boat contained asbestos we can only console ourselves with the hope that some Nazis contracted lung diseases from it at some point. 

I fibbed about the ecofan.?

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

14 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Looks like, he did have a boat as well as the DeLorean:-

I thought I'd read that Einstein actually had a canalboat - I believe it was called Eureka, bought second hand from Alexander Graham Bell and was one of Brunel's unsuccessful ex hire boats.  Apparently, his mistake was to choose broad gauge which appeared to be a good idea in some respects but they wouldn't fit through 7' locks so had restricted cruising range and so, like John Logi Baird's Betamax, was limited in popularity to a few die hards who didn't mind being out of step.  To cap it off, they were fitted with the unpopular 'Titchmarsh' composting toilet. No wonder Einstein kept it quiet - folk would have thought he was a duffer!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I thought I'd read that Einstein actually had a canalboat - I believe it was called Eureka, bought second hand from Alexander Graham Bell and was one of Brunel's unsuccessful ex hire boats.  Apparently, his mistake was to choose broad gauge which appeared to be a good idea in some respects but they wouldn't fit through 7' locks so had restricted cruising range and so, like John Logi Baird's Betamax, was limited in popularity to a few die hards who didn't mind being out of step.  To cap it off, they were fitted with the unpopular 'Titchmarsh' composting toilet. No wonder Einstein kept it quiet - folk would have thought he was a duffer!

He did have a narrowboat.He used to cruise it at near the speed of light, as it decreased in length at that speed (or does it increase), so cost less to license.

It was of course Arthur Medes's boat that was names Ulrika, after the weather girl.