flat/mat paint

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, dreadnought said:

hi,can anyone on the forum let me no where i can get hold of flat paint in around 2.5.ltr quantity's, also in a variety of colours for applying to metal, all the tins i seem to see are around 250 to 750 ml size,many thanks

All paint is quite flat after application. Not in the tin though, where it is usually cylindrical.

I got some mixed at a dulux trade centre once (or was it Crown?)

36 minutes ago, dreadnought said:

hi,can anyone on the forum let me no where i can get hold of flat paint in around 2.5.ltr quantity's, also in a variety of colours for applying to metal, all the tins i seem to see are around 250 to 750 ml size,many thanks

Sorry to be pedantic but what type of paint are you looking for? Any paint to apply to metal (ie direct to metal) will be a primer and so will be flat. I assume you are looking for a top coat but dont want a gloss or a sheen but is it for corrosion protection on a boat? In that case you want something that will perform well outdoors. 'Flatness' (is that a word) is usually obtained by having the filler near the surface which is not the best plan for an exterior corrosion protection coating.

1 hour ago, dreadnought said:

You can get matting additive or agent for paint. Even International do it. Therefore you can have a Matt finish in any colour. Just make sure it is compatible with the paint you intend to use.

51 minutes ago, Joe Bourke said:

You can get matting additive or agent for paint. Even International do it. Therefore you can have a Matt finish in any colour. Just make sure it is compatible with the paint you intend to use.

And get it mixed for you at a paint shop, don't just stir it in.

Any decent automotive trade supplier will be able to mix any colour you want, and do it as matt or semi-matt.  We bought some from Grove Group, and they gave us a small sample of gloss, semi-matt and matt to see which one worked best.

Rustoleum Combi Colour, Matt, Satin, Gloss, colour range is a bit limited. It is eye wateringly expensive, but does come in 2.5 litres. Try Brewers if you have a branch near you. Goes well on well prepped steel. Covers well, I use a gloss roller. Buy the matching thinners, which is day light robbery too. 

Bit of a minefield paint really! 

ETA... Some folk like a Matt on the roof to cut down glare from the Sun btw.

Edited by BD3Bill

only use flat paint on flat surfaces; for instance, if you are painting a funnel you should only use paint from a cylindrical tin.

B&Q used to sell paint in rectangular plastic boxes - quite useful for painting similar shaped objects like canal boats.

please do not use mat paints - mats are rendered ineffective once they are painted.

7 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

only use flat paint on flat surfaces; for instance, if you are painting a funnel you should only use paint from a cylindrical tin.

Already done the flat joke. OP didn't find it amusing and had to buy a new rib:mellow:

Edited by rusty69

On 24/04/2018 at 16:20, dreadnought said:

I get paint for my flats from Johnstones Decorator Centres. They will mix it up for you in any RAL colour in any size tins.

Same for my bote, in metal paint. 

• 9 months later...