Craig Campbell

Featured Posts

54 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

Most modern flat screen TV's will give you a signal strength reading in % if you go into the menu. Easy way to optimise the signal.

48 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Yes ours does that but with our set up we can put aerial up and adjust from inside the boat whilst looking at the picture so same thing realy.

I found that a £20 signal meter was much much better than rotating a yagi or bending the moonraker....and I mean much much better. After you have used one, you wont go back to not using it. Just relying on the picture is too coarse (queue Rusty and comments about Mrsmelly........) and you dont know if you are just above marginal. Never tried the % signal stregnth from the telly itself but likely too much of a delay..if it is the same as trying to tune sky in. A moonraker antenna can be rotated in 3 different planes so in a less than perfect reception area it can be difficult to get the orientation right. Since getting the meter, it is chalk and cheese with no guesswork.

The other advantage of the meter is that you tune in to a signal from a mast wherever or wotever that mast's frequency is. Conect your telly and if no picture, press the retune button. Siiiimple

Oh, I lied. Its £21.45p

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00LGWN87S/ref=oh_aui_bia_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

Screwfix also sell the mini log/periodic (although a bit more expensive), You need to be in quite a strong signal area. 

https://www.screwfix.com/p/labgear-mini-compact-log-periodic-aerial/67576

Yep. That's one of the ones I tried (see #9 above) - useless in my area.  

3 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

All depends on how far you are from the nearest mast. When you are in a poor reception area then a house type...small one...may be the only option. In stronger signal areas, a Moonraker type works well IF you get a signal strength meter

Where are you or where will you be cruising?

I have had limited success with a signal strength meter attached to a Moonraker so I now prefer this app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.esys.dvbtuk

The best feature for me is the "as the crow flies" direction from my location to the mast using satellite mapping it provides.  It tells me exactly which tree to aim at and it's free.

55 minutes ago, GRLMK38 said:

I have had limited success with a signal strength meter attached to a Moonraker so I now prefer this app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.esys.dvbtuk

The best feature for me is the "as the crow flies" direction from my location to the mast using satellite mapping it provides.  It tells me exactly which tree to aim at and it's free.

We are only 5 miles from your location and the moonraker doesnt work in the marina....just a very marginal signal....so a signal strength meter is no use. As the signal gets stronger ie 200 yards down the towpath, I find the moonraker will work but only if bent to the right orientation in the 3 planes...and it only works then in that one position probably 1 in a hundred of orientations . The meter is essential for this but if you dont get the orientation right then the meter will not show a good signal. Move up to Flecknoe and the moonraker works in 80% of orientation combinations as you have a clear view northwest towards Sutton Coldfield. This is why I keep going on about moonrakers in less than good reception areas. With the yagi, I also use that app to line up the antenna first.

I find in marginal areas, the moonraker cannot just be pointed....ie which is forward, which is sideways, does it need to be on its side? You cant point it as there is no front and back.

Edited by Dr Bob

1 hour ago, Dr Bob said:

(queue Rusty and comments about Mrsmelly........)

Hey,i'm not wasting my valuable time making rubbish jokes about mrsmelly.I tried that in this thread already. He didn't even have the decency to call me an Eeeeeejut!:mellow:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dr Bob said:

We are only 5 miles from your location and the moonraker doesnt work in the marina....just a very marginal signal....so a signal strength meter is no use. As the signal gets stronger ie 200 yards down the towpath, I find the moonraker will work but only if bent to the right orientation in the 3 planes...and it only works then in that one position probably 1 in a hundred of orientations . The meter is essential for this but if you dont get the orientation right then the meter will not show a good signal. Move up to Flecknoe and the moonraker works in 80% of orientation combinations as you have a clear view northwest towards Sutton Coldfield. This is why I keep going on about moonrakers in less than good reception areas. With the yagi, I also use that app to line up the antenna first.

I find in marginal areas, the moonraker cannot just be pointed....ie which is forward, which is sideways, does it need to be on its side? You cant point it as there is no front and back.

Agreed - it's good in the right situation but it's not the panacea.

Crick = all the channels including HD

Braunston = hit and miss

Norton Junction = generally ITV stations only and some confusion over whether it will tune to West Midlands or Sandy Heath.

For all other weak signal areas, it's the radio.  Jo Whiley at 8pm is preferable to most TV at that time in my opinion.

38 minutes ago, GRLMK38 said:

Agreed - it's good in the right situation but it's not the panacea.

Crick = all the channels including HD

Braunston = hit and miss

Norton Junction = generally ITV stations only and some confusion over whether it will tune to West Midlands or Sandy Heath.

For all other weak signal areas, it's the radio.  Jo Whiley at 8pm is preferable to most TV at that time in my opinion.

Whats it like in York and Bristol?

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

Hey,i'm not wasting my valuable time making rubbish jokes about mrsmelly.I tried that in this thread already. He didn't even have the decency to call me an Eeeeeejut!:mellow:

Oh I do apologise you bloomin Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeejut ?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, bizzard said:

When I stopped at Uxbridge I had excellent reception with a cheap indoor aerial.   Toolstation do Log period aerials for about £8.

They're all the same design with sometimes minor changes to braketry etc to fool you into payning more - so go for the cheapest as Mr.B says.

For dead areas we  have satellite as well.

It's no good having the aerial at cabin height in weaker areas, it needs to be 4-6ft above the cabin. Any higher doesn't add more signal though.

Edited by OldGoat

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Whats it like in York and Bristol?

Oh I do apologise you bloomin Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeejut ?

I have no idea, never been to either (yet).   I seem to remember it was fine in Sharpness which is not too far from Bristol.  Can we get to York in a 62fter?

1 minute ago, GRLMK38 said:

I have no idea, never been to either (yet).   I seem to remember it was fine in Sharpness which is not too far from Bristol.  Can we get to York in a 62fter?

Apparently we can but it will take 24 days....

24 minutes ago, GRLMK38 said:

Apparently we can but it will take 24 days....

Yorks a doddle in a 62 footer but you wont make ripon ?

7 hours ago, koukouvagia said:

I have tried several different aerials, supposedly sutiable for boats, and a satellite dish.  Our mooring must be in a digital dead spot, because nothing worked properly.

I found a solution with a 3 Go Binge MiFi and the TVPlayer app.  We now get perfect reception and can watch as much TV or Netflix as we want.  We haven't tried it out and about on the cut, but then we don't tend to watch TV when we're boating.

(We got a pretty good deal from 3 - £9 for 20 gig).

I did find that I had to use a tall pole when moored near Cowroast, it is in a col between signal areas.

The guy was called Andreaz Gudsignalaz, I will find out if he is still available.

8 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Crikey a publication thats correct!! very unusual. Does it say you can go through Thorne lock?

It offers me Trent Falls, Keadby Junction, Dukinfield Junction, Salterhebble Junction or Swale Nab as the end of the journey because the limit is 61ft 6in.

Thorne Lock is stated as 61ft 8in so Canalplan says No.  Is it correct?

1 minute ago, GRLMK38 said:

It offers me Trent Falls, Keadby Junction, Dukinfield Junction, Salterhebble Junction or Swale Nab as the end of the journey because the limit is 61ft 6in.

Thorne Lock is stated as 61ft 8in so Canalplan says No.  Is it correct?

As usual its way off the mark. I have taken my 70 footer through Thorne ( narrowbeam)

2 hours ago, OldGoat said:

They're all the same design with sometimes minor changes to braketry etc to fool you into payning more - so go for the cheapest as Mr.B says.

The only problem with that theory is that the cheap ones appear to be made of tinfoil and the first time you pack it away you’ll bend something. After a few erections you’ll have something drop off after straightening it too often. 

29 minutes ago, WotEver said:

The only problem with that theory is that the cheap ones appear to be made of tinfoil and the first time you pack it away you’ll bend something. After a few erections you’ll have something drop off after straightening it too often. 

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

As usual its way off the mark. I have taken my 70 footer through

....erm, that sounds like a bit of a stretch??