Suitcase generators

Craig Campbell

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, Craig Campbell said:

How long would you estimate it would take to charge three 110ah leisure batteries from 50%?

With an appropriate charger, an absolute minimum of 8 hours. Probably closer to 10.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

23 minutes ago, Craig Campbell said:

What increase in spead would you expect if the genie was 3000w?

Nope. The batteries limit the speed of charging. There is no way to fully charge a lead acid battery fast.

50% to 85%(ish) takes 4-5 hours. 80%(ish) to 100% takes a further 4-5 hours. 

For really fast charging, look up lithium (LiFePO4) batteries. Nosebleed money though.

ok thanks, 

I'm trying to get someone to help me with a planned solar install, I've been to bimble to get a rough price on equipment (but my knowledge is limited), all the boat electricians I've been put on to haven't got back to me, any ideas who I could try?  

The generator is a stop gap, I don't want to glaze the engine pistons running on idle to charge the batteries in between trips, I have no shore based anything

Edited by Craig Campbell

2 minutes ago, Craig Campbell said:

ok thanks, 

I'm trying to get someone to help me with a planned solar install, I've been to bimble to get a rough price on equipment (but my knowledge is limited), all the boat electricians I've been put on to haven't got back to me, any ideas who I could try?  

The generator is a stop gap

Matty40s on here has a reputation for installing solar. Tell him he owes me (another) pint!

Craig, Mike is a good bloke to talk to on this as he's been through (actually still is I guess) what your going through.  He'll doubtless be the first to tell you solar won't provide enough power to fully recharge your batteries in the shorter days. 

Looks like I'll be the first to tell you how much a suitcase generator will hack off your neighbours! ;)

6 hours ago, Craig Campbell said:

The generator is a stop gap, I don't want to glaze the engine pistons running on idle to charge the batteries in between trips, I have no shore based anything

Two points. 

1. If you’re getting Solar soon then simply run the engine for charging in the interim. The issue of bore glazing is pretty much over-hyped these days with modern oils and a decent blast occasionally with the engine working hard will usually burn any glaze off. 

2. As SeaDog has just posted while I was typing this, Solar will only be of use from around March to October. In the winter months you’ll still need to run either your engine or a genny. 

I'd love to say I'm getting solar soon but trying to get anyone to give me a quote is proving very difficult indeed

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

Two points. 

1. If you’re getting Solar soon then simply run the engine for charging in the interim. The issue of bore glazing is pretty much over-hyped these days with modern oils and a decent blast occasionally with the engine working hard will usually burn any glaze off. 

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Looks like I'll be the first to tell you how much a suitcase generator will hack off your neighbours! ;)

I'm sure they can be annoying but my choices are limited, I have no shore power, thats why I'm trying to get the quietest one possible, this Senci is supposed to be as quiet as they can be. 50 to 60 db is quoted 

A suggestion -

rather than spend money on a potentially dangerous and noisy petrol generator, spend it on a charge controller instead. As to glaze bores you should run the engine at a bit more than tickover - say 1100 -1200 rpm (assuming it's a watercooled engine)

• Greenie 1

If matty can't help googl e online solar for advice and quote, no connection just chatted to him at crick a few years ago, I fitted my own, not difficult at all if you follow instructions. I have a Honda du20 lpg that is very quiet but hardly use it, I have twin alternator totaling 210 amps with a sterling alt to bat charger that links them up for faster charging.

Neil

1 hour ago, Craig Campbell said:

I'd love to say I'm getting solar soon but trying to get anyone to give me a quote is proving very difficult indeed

Bimble will advise you and give a good quote for supply. They’ll also provide all necessary cabling and installation instructions if required.

3 minutes ago, Craig Campbell said:

Thanks guys

I've been onto bimble solar and seen the gear I think I need, but I'd still like to have them professionally installed which is where my problem lies

Almost any boat yard would do that for you. It’s a simple job for them. 

5 hours ago, WotEver said:

Almost any boat yard would do that for you. It’s a simple job for them. 

Passed a certain boatyard with an A board proudly proclaiming they will fit you solar. Their deal proclaims 2 x 100 watt panels all wire and fitting for the princely sum of £1500!!!!!

4 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Passed a certain boatyard with an A board proudly proclaiming they will fit you solar. Their deal proclaims 2 x 100 watt panels all wire and fitting for the princely sum of £1500!!!!!

Are you telling porkies ?

Its raining - you don't move when it rains. so, how did you pass this boatyard ?