Marine Generator

DasDsm

Featured Posts

I'm looking to take the plunge and install a cocooned marine generator for my boat to easy supply during winter periods without having to run the engine and also allow powering of heavy duty items such as washing machine.

The boat I own used to have a Whisper 3.5kW but was removed by previous owner although a fair amount of connections and infrastructure are still there.

Does anyone have any recommendation for small generators and also any suppliers/installers?

Thanks in advance.

Consider a Paguro 4000.

UK distributers are Advance Yacht Systems and are based in the Southampton area (you'll find them with a simple Google but their phone number is 01794 523900 )

One point to watch is that 99% of modern washing machines are extremely sensitive to their power supply.  

Paguro is 3000 rpm gennie I think. From our experience you will get quite pissed off with the mechanical noise transmitted through the boat. We lived with ours for 3 years then changed to an Onan. Very tight control on frequency unlike the previous Vetus. Lots of white goods don't like anything but a stable 50 hz or near to it. And high speed generators need servicing twice as often as low speed. 

I would go for another Mastervolt. 

Just now, pearley said:

Paguro is 3000 rpm gennie I think. From our experience you will get quite pissed off with the mechanical noise transmitted through the boat.

Agreed - find a 1500rpm generator. MUCH quieter.

My choice would be one of these (or next size up if you want 'more')

https://www.fischerpanda.de/genset_eng_79.htm

But you will be looking at getting on for £10,000 installed, (having purchased the exhaust kit, the fuel kit, the lifting out of your boat and having it installed)

On ‎23‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 21:31, DasDsm said:

I'm looking to take the plunge and install a cocooned marine generator for my boat to easy supply during winter periods without having to run the engine and also allow powering of heavy duty items such as washing machine.

The boat I own used to have a Whisper 3.5kW but was removed by previous owner although a fair amount of connections and infrastructure are still there.

Does anyone have any recommendation for small generators and also any suppliers/installers?

Thanks in advance.

If you have a modern engine fit a travel power. Isuzu and beta are an easy fit. Exellent recon full systems available or new. Many thousands less than a pucker gennie and will do all the heavy work whilst engine still charging domestic batteries. Will not add that many hours to your propulsion engine and even if it did you could buy a bran new propulsion engine with the money not spent on a genie. We would not buy a boat without a travel power now being on our second boat with one.

• Greenie 1

26 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

If you have a modern engine fit a travel power. Isuzu and beta are an easy fit. Exellent recon full systems available or new. Many thousands less than a pucker gennie and will do all the heavy work whilst engine still charging domestic batteries. Will not add that many hours to your propulsion engine and even if it did you could buy a bran new propulsion engine with the money not spent on a genie. We would not buy a boat without a travel power now being on our second boat with one.

Definitely agree. Two of my boats had travelpower and performed flawlessly. I did have a Mastervolt Whisper 6kva  3000rpm on one of my boats (I had a vintage engine) but it was relatively noisy even though it was positioned in engine room well away from the main living area, but virtually inaudible from the outside. I was always concerned about the cooling water inlet getting blocked when moored with the inlet to bankside. 

4 hours ago, Edders said:

Definitely agree. Two of my boats had travelpower and performed flawlessly. I did have a Mastervolt Whisper 6kva  3000rpm on one of my boats (I had a vintage engine) but it was relatively noisy even though it was positioned in engine room well away from the main living area, but virtually inaudible from the outside. I was always concerned about the cooling water inlet getting blocked when moored with the inlet to bankside. 

And for your information Tony the one on your first boat that had one is still working well. :cheers:

Very interesting about the travel power as its Beta 43 with a well insulated engine so actually does not make that much noise when running so might be a good option.

It is a retro fit by a boat yard or direct from Beta?  Any recommendations of people to fit in Southern GU?

D

28 minutes ago, DasDsm said:

Very interesting about the travel power as its Beta 43 with a well insulated engine so actually does not make that much noise when running so might be a good option.

It is a retro fit by a boat yard or direct from Beta?  Any recommendations of people to fit in Southern GU?

D

I know a top bloke in the midlands who will supply and fit the whole shooting match at a very good price but unsure if he bothers with London? 

45 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I know a top bloke in the midlands who will supply and fit the whole shooting match at a very good price but unsure if he bothers with London? 

Be good to know the detail as not staying around the SE long as once I've sorted out a few things I'm heading to the midlands and north so may work. :)

18 minutes ago, DasDsm said:

Be good to know the detail as not staying around the SE long as once I've sorted out a few things I'm heading to the midlands and north so may work. :)

Google " Four counties marine services" Ed Shiers a top unassuming bloke who knows his stuff plenty on his site about Travel power and what he does and he will visit you. NO fancy cows dropping website paying loads of office wallers just a bloke who delivers on what he says.

14 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Google " Four counties marine services" Ed Shiers a top unassuming bloke who knows his stuff plenty on his site about Travel power and what he does and he will visit you. NO fancy cows dropping website paying loads of office wallers just a bloke who delivers on what he says.

https://fourcountiesmarineservices.com/

55 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Click the link and you get a picture of him about to fit a Beta into a semi-trad.

Possibly unfashionable - but you can make it even quieter by fitting a "heat exchanger cooled" version. Properly done with a decent sized mud box it runs cooler as well...