Hydrogen peroxide

1agos

Featured Posts

What do you guys think about adding Hydrogen peroxide to the water tank to clean it after a winters lay off. 1 to 100 litres.

Have spoken to a water expert (20 years in the north american water industry) who says this is the best way to go and add 500ml to a tankful bi monthly

I only remember this stuff turning my mums hair yellow.

I use hydrogen peroxide for lots of thing, (except not for my hair) mostly cleaning; the Americans love it and use it for all sorts of stuff like mouth wash, cut cleaning, foot soaking, house cleaning and weed killing to name but a few. 3% is the normal dilution for external use but that is still enough to burn you if you are getting it on your skin regularly. Ingesting 1-2% will induce vomiting and strip the soft tissue from the inside of your throat as you puke it back up - it's not unheard of for Americans to use it for this in emergencies. So yes it will clean your tank but I don't know how much you would need to use or how well it would actually work and you will need to rinse the tank thoroughly before you refill it. 

If you had a method that was tried and tested I would probably go with that. :)

Hypochlorite [bleach] is excellent cheap disinfectant of water tanks pipes etc, but you have a disposal problem unless it can be poured on waste ground. It will bleach your clothing, and likely kill the fish if it gets in to a watercourse. The smell will linger untill you have fully flushed the system. As a  once upon-a-time food and dairy hygiene expert, I have never used hydrogen peroxide in industry.

Probably best to use a proprietry product and follow the instructions. 

Edited by LadyG

3 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Hypochlorite [bleach] is excellent cheap disinfectant of water tanks pipes etc, but you have a disposal problem unless it can be poured on waste ground,    it will bleach your clothing, and likely kill the fish if it gets in to a watercourse.

I doubt  bleach will bother the fish unless you dump large quantities of it high concentration. By the time you've diluted a couple of bottles of bleach with the contents of your water tank, then diluted that again with the contents of the local canal, the fish probably won't even be able to taste it.

Given its use in producing homemade explosives, buying large quantities of hydrogen peroxide will probably get you a visit from The Authorities these days.

MP.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

I doubt  bleach will bother the fish unless you dump large quantities of it high concentration. By the time you've diluted a couple of bottles of bleach with the contents of your water tank, then diluted that again with the contents of the local canal, the fish probably won't even be able to taste it.

MP.

I know, but its best to be safe, one never knows what people will do, and a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. 

Off the cuff, one bottle of bleach will be more than enough. Soak/circulate for ten minutes. The dirtier the canal water, the less it matters about disposal, and vice versa.

Edited by LadyG

2 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

Given its use in producing homemade explosives, buying large quantities of hydrogen peroxide will probably get you a visit from The Authorities these days.

The dilution % is also restrict in this country as it is a corrosive substance and could be used as an "acid" type weapon seemingly. But you can buy by the bucket load on amazon. :rolleyes:

9 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

The dilution % is also restrict in this country as it is a corrosive substance and could be used as an "acid" type weapon seemingly. But you can buy by the bucket load on amazon. :rolleyes:

It's not difficult to take the dilute stuff and increase the concentration, which is the first step in making explosives. Allegedly.

MP.

3 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

It's not difficult to take the dilute stuff and increase the concentration, which is the first step in making explosives. Allegedly.

MP.

I'll take your word for that. I just use it to clean the greenhouse and things like that.  :D 

4 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

I'll take your word for that. I just use it to clean the greenhouse and things like that.  :D 

What, conservatories and porches? Can't think of many other things like greenhouses

Edited by RLWP

7 minutes ago, RLWP said:

What, conservatories and porches? Can't think of many other things like greenhouses

Not necessarily that specific in building design but for things where I don’t want to use harsher products.

2 hours ago, 1agos said:

What do you guys think about adding Hydrogen peroxide to the water tank to clean it after a winters lay off.

What makes you think it needs cleaning in the first place? What have you been letting into it??!

6 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

What makes you think it needs cleaning in the first place? What have you been letting into it??!

In 36 years of Boating and over several Boats I have never cleaned a Water Tank , I use the Shower and Boil all drinking water for Coffee or Tea , I was beginning to feel quite dirty and uncouth until I read your Post Mike ? Its always struck me that the Flushing of the Tank can easily introduce as many contaminants as one expels assuming as you say it needs cleaning in the first place

• Greenie 1

16 minutes ago, Parahandy said:

In 36 years of Boating and over several Boats I have never cleaned a Water Tank , I use the Shower and Boil all drinking water for Coffee or Tea , I was beginning to feel quite dirty and uncouth until I read your Post Mike ? Its always struck me that the Flushing of the Tank can easily introduce as many contaminants as one expels assuming as you say it needs cleaning in the first place

This^^^

We never clean the tank though we do take care to use a short piece of hose in the filler that's kept in the boat and can be washed if necessary. We also use the Seagull IV filter for drinking and cooking water.

So, remind me again: what's the point of a boat builder going to the trouble of fitting a potable fresh water system?

Those of you who boil your water or use filters are welcome to, of course, but the fresh water system is designed to store and feed clean fresh, potable water. If you only fill it with clean, fresh, potable water (like from the drinking water supply) then that's exactly what should come out. 

If you think the tank or system is dirty such that you can't drink the water, fix it.  Just as you would if your system  designed to store clean diesel was contaminated or your cabin lights didn't work.  

• Greenie 1

I have recently been persuaded that a good flush out with fresh tap water is  sufficient.

But if I should use any product it would be this.............as a one off treatment than flushed out with fresh water

http://www.poundland.co.uk/dr-johnsons-sterilising-fluid-1-litre

Edited by MartynG
text added

33 minutes ago, MartynG said:

I have recently been persuaded that a good flush out with fresh tap water is  sufficient.

But if I should use any product it would be this.............as a one off treatment than flushed out with fresh water

Which is bleach...

http://www.mpmconsumerproducts.com/_images/_cms/files/Dr Johnson's Sterilising Fluid MSDS V4.pdf

9 hours ago, Tumshie said:

Not necessarily that specific in building design but for things where I don’t want to use harsher products.

What about the top of lighthouses - they're rather like a greenhouse

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, MartynG said:

A waste of time and money, it is enough for a few babies bottles, totally useless  as a sterilising agent in a water tank such as found on a boat. Its all about the strength of the solution, and the time of contact, in that order. 

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Parahandy said:

Like you, I find the water in my tank never degrades, even if left untouched for months or years and I too have been boating for 35+ years. But unlike you I don't boil the water prior to drinking (unless necessary for the beverage e.g. tea) and arguably it has done me no harm either for my 35+ years of boating. Nor can I think of ANY other liveaboard who does.

If you inspect the interior of a fully closed modern tank made of opaque plastic or stainless steel it always looks immaculate and pristine, including the water in it.

• Greenie 1