Nanni 4-150HE what engine oil?

MichaelG

Featured Posts

Hi all, I've not had the boat long and its due an engine oil change. The engine is a Nanni 4-150HE. I presume about 2006 as thats the year the boat was built. The engine manual suggests the correct grade of engine oil is API CD SAE 15W 40. However I think that grade is now obsolete. Could someone advise me on the suitable equivalent grade of oil please?

Many thanks, Michael.

13 hours ago, MichaelG said:

Hi all, I've not had the boat long and its due an engine oil change. The engine is a Nanni 4-150HE. I presume about 2006 as thats the year the boat was built. The engine manual suggests the correct grade of engine oil is API CD SAE 15W 40. However I think that grade is now obsolete. Could someone advise me on the suitable equivalent grade of oil please?

Many thanks, Michael.

I chuck mineral cf in the Isuzu and it hasnt blown up yet.

Hi all, Ive found a mineral oil graded API CD SAE 15W 40 online made by Exol oils called Exol Victory. From the technical details it seems to fit the bill so I'll be using that.

I was just wondering though if someone could tell me why such a basic mineral based oil is specified for a relatively modern (around 12 years) engine and why a modern synthetic or semi synthetic oil cant be used. The main advantages being they are more common place to find and I presume service intervals could be extended with a more modern oil.

Modern synthetic or semi synthetic oils are designed to be used on modern high performance automobile engines, which typically are turbocharged and highly stressed.

The engines used in boats are typically normally aspirated and run on light loads.

This causes the additives in modern engines to drop out, potentially causing problems, hence why low specification oils are used for boat engines.

37 minutes ago, MichaelG said:

Hi all, Ive found a mineral oil graded API CD SAE 15W 40 online made by Exol oils called Exol Victory. From the technical details it seems to fit the bill so I'll be using that.

I was just wondering though if someone could tell me why such a basic mineral based oil is specified for a relatively modern (around 12 years) engine and why a modern synthetic or semi synthetic oil cant be used. The main advantages being they are more common place to find and I presume service intervals could be extended with a more modern oil.

Narrowboat engines don't work very hard and tend to run too cool and this can lead to bore glazing. Higher grade oils contain additives that work well at high temperatures in a modern car but are detrimental in a lightly worked engine.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_engine_problems

46 minutes ago, MichaelG said:

As all oils we may easily buy contain an additive pack to improve their performance in a number of ways and have done for years I have yet to be convinced that a low API spec oil (like CC to CF) labelled as "semi-synthetic" is any different to one labelled as "mineral oil". I thinks its just marketing bull shine.