Why do we tend to forget?

nipper

Featured Posts

The Paddy's have their St Patricks Day, The Scots have their St Andrew, The welsh have there St David.

Are the English are forgetting thier Saint, St George?

Today is St Georges Day!

I raise you a glass to England and St George! 

St Georges Day Pride - The Executive Voice Speaking Coach

Nipper

3 minutes ago, nipper said:

The Paddy's have their St Patricks Day, The Scots have their St Andrew, The welsh have there St David.

Today is St Georges Day!

Nipper

The biggest problem by far is our flag. It has been taken over by numpties who think football players are Gods.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Was Saint George actually a real person? 

Or is it just the dragon slaying bit that is made up?

Was Saint George actually a real person?  he was possiby a Romano/Syrian soldier, who was executed for refusing to renounce his Christian faith.

Or is it just the dragon slaying bit that is made up? a myth made up in the Middle ages around the same time as he was made Patron Saint of England

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Apparently so. Born in either what is now modern day Turkey, or Syria, so would be unlikely to be allowed to come to Britain under current immigration rules. Though being executed for his faith seems good evidence for making an asylum claim.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Bugger!

I thought the Dragon slaying bit was true.

No doubt before long someone will be telling us that Hell doesn't exist either.

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

The biggest problem by far is our flag. It has been taken over by numpties who think football players are Gods.

exactly this, too many drunken knuckle draggers trashing wherever they happen to be whilst wearing it like a cape, or those neo-Nazi First or Defence League imbeciles have ruined it for everyone.

we like to fly a flag when cruising (I know its not everyones taste) but use the general Yorkshire flag rather than the West Riding one in case someone misinterprets it as a sign of the above :(

• Greenie 3

1 minute ago, Lily Rose said:

Bugger!

You've never tried taking a widebeam up the K&A single handed then I take it?

3 hours ago, Lily Rose said:

Bugger!

Before Christianity there was no hell, and no devil. So there you go it was made up by the church

5 hours ago, David Mack said:

Oh no! 4 more days when canals, roads and public transport have to be avoided.

I used to fly the Scottish flag on Cygnet, but about the time of the Scottish Independence referendum, I started getting abuse, presumably from the sort of people who have misappropriated the English flag.

Edited by Mac of Cygnet
  • Greenie 1

33 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Before Christianity there was no hell, and no devil. So there you go it was made up by the church

And now they've changed their minds. Well at least the Pope has. (except he hasn't of course, it was all a bit of a porkie pie by Eugenio Scalfari apparently).

http://metro.co.uk/2018/03/29/hell-not-exist-says-pope-francis-7427113/

3 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

You've never tried taking a widebeam up the K&A single handed then I take it?

I crossed the ball and stood back waiting to see who would head it in. Good goal Mike.

7 hours ago, nipper said:

Today is St Georges Day!

Nipper

Why can't we just have an 'England Day' much as Australia has an Australia Day? Why bring the god-botherers on board with their 'saints' let them get on with their own rituals. I neither know nor care what 'miracle' St George was supposed to have performed on his passage to 'sainthood' because it all sounds a lot of nonsense to me. I'm all for a bit of patriotic celebrations (any excuse for a pint), but to 'celebrate' some bod that 95% of the UK population probably know bog all about? nah, can't be bothered.

Well said that man!

An England day seems very reasonable to me!

Now that the UK will be on our own from next year, hopefully. we wont have any body else saying we can't have one, and indeed, our Irish, Welsh and Scots buddies should have their day as well.

Lets face it, It may very well rekindle a little of our British pride that has seems to be dwindling as the years go by!

Cheers all!

Nipper

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

We used to have an Empire day, but it was spurned by dissenters.

https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/HistoryofBritain/Empire-Day/

St George's 'dragon' was more seen to be any authority that demanded loyalty through blind faith. Any who bucked the trend was held in fear or esteem, and likely persecuted. Hero or villain, choose your poison.

Edited by Derek R.

26 minutes ago, nipper said:

Well said that man!

An England day seems very reasonable to me!

Now that the UK will be on our own from next year, hopefully. we wont have any body else saying we can't have one, and indeed, our Irish, Welsh and Scots buddies should have their day as well.

Lets face it, It may very well rekindle a little of our British pride that has seems to be dwindling as the years go by!

Cheers all!

Nipper

Who has ever done that? Have you seen how many Holidays the French have without 'permission' from anyone?(VE day, Armistice Day, Bastille day,etc,etc)

• Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Who has ever done that? Have you seen how many Holidays the French have without 'permission' from anyone?(VE day, Armistice Day, Bastille day,etc,etc)

When one considers that aspects of Christianity - in terms not only of symbols, but of 'holidays'  - have come under criticism as being a slur against non-Christians, then I can think of a few.

British "pride" took a knock from the 1960's on, and from certain foreign lands took the form of arrogance. With the 'risk' of appearing political (which is not allowed on this forum thank heavens) and with successive governments only contributing with acts of stupidity, ignorance and subterfuge, 'pride' has been dealt many coffin nails. Multiculturalism and globalism destroy any pride any individual nation might have had. But pride can still be created - in the way we treat each other, and carry out our daily lives, in many ways - as individuals.

24 minutes ago, Derek R. said:

When one considers that aspects of Christianity - in terms not only of symbols, but of 'holidays'  - have come under criticism as being a slur against non-Christians, then I can think of a few.

British "pride" took a knock from the 1960's on, and from certain foreign lands took the form of arrogance. With the 'risk' of appearing political (which is not allowed on this forum thank heavens) and with successive governments only contributing with acts of stupidity, ignorance and subterfuge, 'pride' has been dealt many coffin nails. Multiculturalism and globalism destroy any pride any individual nation might have had. But pride can still be created - in the way we treat each other, and carry out our daily lives, in many ways - as individuals.

Pray share your thoughts with us then, when have we ever been told that we cannot have any particular holiday? The nearest I can think of was the renaming of May Day (considered a bit lefty) into Early May Bank Holiday. Sad really because May Day was a Pagan festival but when a few workers decided to strike on May 1st 1886 it became a celebration of workers, not something to be encouraged apparently?. Besides that, what other holiday have been banned or renamed?

• Greenie 1

Certainly pagan festivals were not so much banned, but they did get renamed. The celebrations for the return of the Sun after December 21st became Christmas. If you can't beat'em - bend'em.

Empire day was traditionally Queen Victoria's birthday May 24th. It not only got renamed Commonwealth Day, but shifted to the second Monday in March, but nowadays - who cares? Some religions are so full of themselves they would have us all wearing overalls of sorts, subject to crude amputations, and where Christianity is banned. Mind you, drowning or burning women for practicing herbal medicine was also a Christian 'act', and whose fault it was considered for the endless Winters around the 15th C. I'll keep any further thoughts to myself - the religious police may be watching  ?