Making lock gates

Kendorr

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Kev's Halcyon said:

Interesting video from 'Cruising the cut'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGucbWhD5s8&t=301s

Very interesting to see that they still use some low tech methods, but still very different from the gates I wastched being made at Bulbourbe in the 1960s where the timbers came in as greenwood trunks stripped of their bark, and were squared off and tapered using side axes and adzes.

16 hours ago, Horace42 said:

Not so much a video of making lock gates - more a video of someone talking about making lock gates.

That's not fair. It is a pretty standard style of mainstream tv (which is where the maker learnt his craft) info item, that can be seen ten times over every Countryfile or similar type of programme. To me, I thought that there was quite a bit of detail about how they work, given that it is just a few minutes long.

The one meme that bugs me is the need (by some programme makers) to have the presenter 'having a go'. Initially they seem to be minimising the actual skill of the expert but, thankfully, they end up by enhancing it! 

What impressed me was that CaRT use a mix of tradition and tech - some people seem to forget that the heritage people have a big say in all of this. CaRT are not entirely free to use whatever might keep the water out (or in).

6 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

That's not fair. It is a pretty standard style of mainstream tv (which is where the maker learnt his craft) info item, that can be seen ten times over every Countryfile or similar type of programme. To me, I thought that there was quite a bit of detail about how they work, given that it is just a few minutes long.

The one meme that bugs me is the need (by some programme makers) to have the presenter 'having a go'. Initially they seem to be minimising the actual skill of the expert but, thankfully, they end up by enhancing it! 

What impressed me was that CaRT use a mix of tradition and tech - some people seem to forget that the heritage people have a big say in all of this. CaRT are not entirely free to use whatever might keep the water out (or in).

I am not disputing the very interesting bits showing the actual work. Loss of hearing in the speech range means I cannot follow the dialogue without sub-titles (of which there were none) so I am very much aware of the waffle that does nothing much other than pad out the article and make it boring - interspersed by short graphics of the interesting bits.    ...and that's the trouble with mainstream 'standard TV' is worse because they always add annoying background music that intrudes on the foreground as noise that blots out any chance of hearing the dialogue - albeit there is sometimes  an option to switch on sub-titles - which quite often blot out the details being looked at.

19 minutes ago, Horace42 said:

I am not disputing the very interesting bits showing the actual work. Loss of hearing in the speech range means I cannot follow the dialogue without sub-titles (of which there were none) so I am very much aware of the waffle that does nothing much other than pad out the article and make it boring - interspersed by short graphics of the interesting bits.    ...and that's the trouble with mainstream 'standard TV' is worse because they always add annoying background music that intrudes on the foreground as noise that blots out any chance of hearing the dialogue - albeit there is sometimes  an option to switch on sub-titles - which quite often blot out the details being looked at.

Majority of youtube videos now have captions.  This one included.   Note that unless the uploader added them they tend to automated captions which does make for some interesting reading sometimes.

image.png.d29479389142d7cf9daf290577c7a6b7.png

18 hours ago, Horace42 said:

Not so much a video of making lock gates - more a video of someone talking about making lock gates.

You don't have to watch it. Most people find these vlogs informative and entertaining. It takes a lot of work and cost to produce good vlogs, 29,935 subscribers can't be wrong.

But if you feel you can do better, give it a go and I'll give it my personal review.

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, LadyG said:

You don't have to watch it. Most people find these vlogs informative and entertaining. It takes a lot of work and cost to produce good vlogs, 29,935 subscribers can't be wrong.

But if you feel you can do better, give it a go and I'll give it my personal review.

I agree some vlogs and podcasts are very good and entertaining, much better than the drivel you get from mainstream TV and Radio these days. 

23 minutes ago, LadyG said:

We've watched all 130 or so of them. They were very informative for our level of knowledge at the time. Well done David. I've not seen a better set of vlogs for nbs.

• Happy 1

6 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

We've watched all 130 or so of them. They were very informative for our level of knowledge at the time. Well done David. I've not seen a better set of vlogs for nbs.

Although not narrowboat, SailLife (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5xDht2blPNWdVtl9PkDmgA) I find is very interesting.   Mainly because I'm refitting a boat as well.

55 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I might not be able to do better (but who is the definitive judge on this),  but I would certainly not use a mug shot of me talking all the time, but instead do a voice-over of a relevant string of interesting graphics.   And how many of the 29,935 watched it through to the end - or clicked on it and abandoned it straight away.  And how many of the vlogs mates repeatedly clicked on it to get the viewing  numbers up....on balance I would say an interesting article for those who like talking head type presentations - but it's not me for the reasons already given.

5 minutes ago, Horace42 said:

I might not be able to do better (but who is the definitive judge on this),  but I would certainly not use a mug shot of me talking all the time, but instead do a voice-over of a relevant string of interesting graphics.   And how many of the 29,935 watched it through to the end - or clicked on it and abandoned it straight away.  And how many of the vlogs mates repeatedly clicked on it to get the viewing  numbers up....on balance I would say an interesting article for those who like talking head type presentations - but it's not me for the reasons already given.

It's 29,935 subscribers, not views.   That means 29,935 have actually clicked the subscribe button to regularly receive the videos.   Some of the older vids have received over 100K views themselfs.

1 hour ago, Robbo said:

Majority of you tube videos now have captions.  This one included.   Note that unless the uploader added them they tend to automated captions which does make for some interesting reading sometimes.

Your comment about sub-titles is interesting. I am not a regular you tube user so did not know this - some articles have had sub-titles but not from something I knowingly did to get them - how our these sub-titles activated please?

11 minutes ago, Horace42 said:

Your comment about sub-titles is interesting. I am not a regular you tube user so did not know this - some articles have had sub-titles but not from something I knowingly did to get them - how our these sub-titles activated please?

Here's a little guide.   https://www.wikihow.com/Turn-On-YouTube-Subtitles   If you use an iPad/App I think the options are at the top.   In the same place you can do auto-translation if watching those foreign films :D

Edited by Robbo

43 minutes ago, Horace42 said:

I don't think you understand the youtube thing: subscribers [in this case nearly 40k] are notified of new vlogs on a particular channel,  those who don't like the channel neither watch the vlogs nor do they subscribe. I assume David's friends are subscribed, but I don't think they number in the thousands.

Cruising the Cut is a professional reporter and TV news presenter, its his profession, he does it very well and uses different approaches, so I really can't agree with your critisism.

Poor vlogs are numerous, fortunately they usually die a death. There is nothing worse than a shaky two minute wind blasted video uploaded by some numptie who wants their fifteen minutes of fame.

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 2

31 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I don't think you understand the youtube thing: subscribers [in this case nearly 40k] are notified of new vlogs on a particular channel,  those who don't like the channel neither watch the vlogs nor do they subscribe. I assume David's friends are subscribed, but I don't think they number in the thousands.

Cruising the Cut is a professional reporter and TV news presenter, its his profession, he does it very well and uses different approaches, so I really can't agree with your critisism.

Poor vlogs are numerous, fortunately they usually die a death. There is nothing worse than a shaky two minute wind blasted video uploaded by some numptie who wants their fifteen minutes of fame.

You are probably right there. I am not a regular youtube user - only occasionally like this link took me to it. I don't mind proactive objective criticism - it would a boring world if we all agreed all the time. Re the poor quality numptie videos - I quite like some of them - I accept them as amateurish and pass on.  The professional presenters should heed negative views. 

4 hours ago, LadyG said:

Agree totally with that. Even the best of the rest of the many narrowboat vlogs pale in comparison with Cruising The Cut IMHO, though I'm not saying some of the others aren't good.

Probably not surprising given David's background.

I would certainly suggest giving Cruising The Cut a try for anyone who hasn't already done so.

35 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

Agree totally with that. Even the best of the rest of the many narrowboat vlogs pale in comparison with Cruising The Cut IMHO, though I'm not saying some of the others aren't good.

Probably not surprising given David's background.

I would certainly suggest giving Cruising The Cut a try for anyone who hasn't already done so.

Especially if you are new to NB's.

Perhaps future episodes can be filmed with an installation team and another with Vlockies? 

.... and there is a distinct lack of a Gardner in the engine series, although I accept that they don't have the "drama" that some vintage engines do.  In fact come to think about it they probably have less drama than a modern japanese lump.

On 23/04/2018 at 12:44, David Schweizer said:

Very interesting to see that they still use some low tech methods, but still very different from the gates I wastched being made at Bulbourbe in the 1960s where the timbers came in as greenwood trunks stripped of their bark, and were squared off and tapered using side axes and adzes.

I wonder what became of all the huge and ancient machinery when the Bulbourne workshop closed.  There were plans to turn the Bulbourne site into modern flats, but nothing seems to be happening at present.