Solar panels not charging batteries

Southeast Boater

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

In particular, you have the front cover of the Victron inverter removed. This has mains voltages inside and is definitely not a place to be poking around if you aren't very sure what you are doing.

Jen

Good point, and don’t forget the solar panels when lightly loaded/disconnected will be at about 75v (if 2 panels in series) which is hazardous, so don’t touch........

1 hour ago, Richard10002 said:

Your pictures suggest a well fitted set of electrics. The shunt seems to have only one cable at one of the ends which presumably goes to battery negative.

Your monitor seems to show your batteries are fairly full, so they won't draw much from the solar controller.

Are you sure there is something wrong?

Given that you don't seem to know much about electrics, and people here are suggesting things which you might interpret incorrectly, I would tend to leave well alone, and perhaps get an expert who knows how it all works to have a look. Said expert could be a paid electrician, or a boater who does a good deed.

I think you are most likely right. I will seek the help of a professional to finish the installation. I thought it might be straightforward enough to do myself. It seems not. They are fairly charged but I ran the engine for a good few hours yesterday and haven’t used any power since so that could be why.

Thank you for your advice :)

47 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

In particular, you have the front cover of the Victron inverter removed. This has mains voltages inside and is definitely not a place to be poking around if you aren't very sure what you are doing.

Jen

Indeed. I did remove it for the photo to post to the thread. I had everything off and batteries isolated. I put it back on straight after. But thanks as mentioned it’s probably time to seek the help of a professional. Thanks for your advice so far :)

Edited by Southeast Boater