2 identical 3LWs for sale on Ebay (strange!)

jenevers

Featured Posts

eBay item number:
number:

The above EBay numbers are for two 3 LWs. Photos are identical but they are over 250 miles apart (depending on which town of Troon one is based. The other is in Heywood, Manchester) .  Suspicious.

4 hours ago, jenevers said:
eBay item number:
number:

The above EBay numbers are for two 3 LWs. Photos are identical but they are over 250 miles apart (depending on which town of Troon one is based. The other is in Heywood, Manchester) .  Suspicious.

Both are unfeasibly cheap and have already been discussed on the "vintage engines for sale on ebay" thread. 

Interesting you say the photos are identical. For me, the photos on the two listings are different. Clearly the same engine but different sets of photos of it. The scammers are getting more sophisticted!

14 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Both are unfeasibly cheap and have already been discussed on the "vintage engines for sale on ebay" thread. 

Interesting you say the photos are identical. For me, the photos on the two listings are different. Clearly the same engine but different sets of photos of it. The scammers are getting more sophisticted!

It seems an odd item to try and sell deceitfully, as very few people will have a use for one. If it was a Ford Sierra it would make more sense.

7 minutes ago, Athy said:

It seems an odd item to try and sell deceitfully, as very few people will have a use for one. If it was a Ford Sierra it would make more sense.

I don't think so. Rare, high value items being 'sold' for 10% of their real worth make better bait than common things like a Ford Sierra. In addition, you can't reasonably expect someone to pay for a Ford Sierra and have it shipped to them on a pallet, like a vintage engine.

I'd say it is a better scam than those scams selling cheap narrowboats, for this reason.

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I don't think so. Rare, high value items being 'sold' for 10% of their real worth make better bait than common things like a Ford Sierra. In addition, you can't reasonably expect someone to pay for a Ford Sierra and have it shipped to them on a pallet, like a vintage engine.

I'd say it is a better scam than those scams selling cheap narrowboats, for this reason.

You have convinced me. It deserves its place in the Good Scam Guide.

Just now, Boater Sam said:

I'll put a bid on and offer cash on collection to see what happens.

If they go for not a lot or cheap, anyone want one?

I'll have them both!

(Except there IS only one....)

((So we KNOW it is a scam))

How does this scam work? As in, who loses out? Is it the buyer or does the eBay money back guarantee cover it? & if so, why do they keep allowing it to happen? (That's a lot of question marks, lol.)

29 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

If they go for not a lot or cheap, anyone want one?

Its a shame I hadnt seen this earlier as I would have had one but I have bought an  anchor now.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, NB Esk said:

How does this scam work? As in, who loses out? Is it the buyer or does the eBay money back guarantee cover it? & if so, why do they keep allowing it to happen? (That's a lot of question marks, lol.)

I responded to one of the previous ads for a 2LW with a question about the details, and the scam is as follows.

He offered to sell it to me now for a fixed (unfeasibly low) "Buy It Now" price. Before I even responded he sent me a link to what looked like an ebay listing put up especially for me, with the BIN price on it. All I had to do was click on "Buy It Now"!

Except it was a clone site not ebay, and none of the ebay protections would have existed when the engine failed to arrive...

34 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

I too offered to buy cash on collection but this was refused. 

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I responded to one of the previous ads for a 2LW with a question about the details, and the scam is as follows.

He offered to sell it to me now for a fixed (unfeasibly low) "Buy It Now" price. Before I even responded he sent me a link to what looked like an ebay listing put up especially for me, with the BIN price on it. All I had to do was click on "Buy It Now"!

Except it was a clone site not ebay, and none of the ebay protections would have existed when the engine failed to arrive...

Ah,ok. That makes sense.  I guess the safeguard might be for the "buyer" to ask to view.