Viewing this week

jocave

Featured Posts

To be honest it looks too good to be true - although ABC are established brokers so it must be. Has it been on the market long? I hope it's still for sale when you get to view it.

If it's been for sale for a while has it had previous survey(s)? Everything looks good from photos above the waterline - a cheap and cheerful refit, new engine and paint-job, no CH "hob needs attention" . Perhaps it has no previous records of services, bills etc. Salvaged? Worth a viewing and survey and if hull work required is more than your  deposit, negotiate or ABC refund it and you walk away.

7 hours ago, nikvah said:

... no CH "hob needs attention"...

No oven...

... and the price becomes more realistic. 

However, as said, the hull is the most important part of any survey. 

Details are rather sparse and are they correct ? (does it really have 2x starter batteries ?)

It looks a 'good buy' rather than a bargain - for me, the Kitchen needs a total refit, 'table top' fridge stood on the floor, no cooker, Calorifier in the kitchen, lack of cupboards, badly planned and done very much 'on the cheap'.

Only a 'knick-knack' / bookshelf display cabinet in the lounge - no storage space / cupboards. The sofa is free-standing and has no storage underneath, but does look as if it has some 'loose boxes' under it.

No mention of a 'hook-up'

A 1000w inverter is a bit (lot) small and is probably barely enough to run the fridge (start up current)

There appears to be sockets in the lounge (under the window) but nowhere to stand your TV.

They have used 230v AC switches in the bathroom to control the 12v DC shower pump and the 12v DC macerator pump

No mention of toilet type / holding tank or Cassette - but If I read the switch labels correctly it would appear to be a pump-out.

What is going on with that peculiar 'toilet in a cupboard' fit-out' ?

Overall very poor, budget fit-out.

It almost looks like a 'stolen-recovered' or a 'sunk-recovered' boat that has had a quick refit and paint to sell.

As it stands it would be a BSS failure unless the problem is removed before survey time.

This one at Venetian may need paint and blacking, looks a bit scabby on the water line, but its a quality hull by Gary Gorton. Out of water survey essential.

The fit out leaves the one you are looking at standing.

https://www.venetianmarina.co.uk/used-narrowboats/details/4278.aspx

Not a recommendation, not been to see it but the pedigree is good. I'm not a fan of Liverpool hulls, fitted too many as hire boats, seen too many bad practices.

Edited by Boater Sam
added more

It looks like its really configured as a day boat (or a weekend boat) - very little storage in the kitchen, no obvious storage in the bedroom (no wardrobe etc). Probably fine for a long weekend but not for weeks or more away.

12 minutes ago, StephenA said:

It looks like its really configured as a day boat (or a weekend boat) - very little storage in the kitchen, no obvious storage in the bedroom (no wardrobe etc). Probably fine for a long weekend but not for weeks or more away.

Are those not wardrobes on either side, between the beds and the steps?

The two (narrow) single berths, with no mention of a way of converting them to a cross-double, cannot be a good selling point.

4 minutes ago, Athy said:

Are those not wardrobes on either side, between the beds and the steps?

The two (narrow) single berths, with no mention of a way of converting them to a cross-double, cannot be a good selling point.

I was talking about Abels Ark not Emma Louise.

6 minutes ago, StephenA said:

I was talking about Abels Ark not Emma Louise.

Ah, you should have said. As your post immediately followed the one about Emma Louise, I inferred that you were commenting on that one.

Edited by Athy

Just now, Athy said:

Ah, you should have said. As your post immediately followed the one about Emma Louise, I inferred that you were commenting on that one.

I think I managed to edit out the quote part of the post ;-)

On 22/04/2018 at 10:41, Boater Sam said:

This one at Venetian may need paint and blacking, looks a bit scabby on the water line, but its a quality hull by Gary Gorton. Out of water survey essential.

The fit out leaves the one you are looking at standing.

https://www.venetianmarina.co.uk/used-narrowboats/details/4278.aspx

Not a recommendation, not been to see it but the pedigree is good. I'm not a fan of Liverpool hulls, fitted too many as hire boats, seen too many bad practices.

Not for us as we want a cruiser stern, fixed furniture is no good as its not the right height, a bath is no use to us so would need changing but thanks for pointing it out

On 22/04/2018 at 10:45, StephenA said:

That's exactly what I want ,we will only ever spend a night or two on it 

It would have been perfect for us but an offer has been accepted on it sadly

On 22/04/2018 at 08:09, Alan de Enfield said:

Details are rather sparse and are they correct ? (does it really have 2x starter batteries ?)

It looks a 'good buy' rather than a bargain - for me, the Kitchen needs a total refit, 'table top' fridge stood on the floor, no cooker, Calorifier in the kitchen, lack of cupboards, badly planned and done very much 'on the cheap'.

Only a 'knick-knack' / bookshelf display cabinet in the lounge - no storage space / cupboards. The sofa is free-standing and has no storage underneath, but does look as if it has some 'loose boxes' under it.

A 1000w inverter is a bit (lot) small and is probably barely enough to run the fridge (start up current)

There appears to be sockets in the lounge (under the window) but nowhere to stand your TV.

They have used 230v AC switches in the bathroom to control the 12v DC shower pump and the 12v DC macerator pump

No mention of toilet type / holding tank or Cassette - but If I read the switch labels correctly it would appear to be a pump-out.

It almost looks like a 'stolen-recovered' or a 'sunk-recovered' boat that has had a quick refit and paint to sell.

As it stands it would be a BSS failure unless the problem is removed before survey time.

If you look at the downloadable PDF document on the advert, quite a few of the deatils you suggest are not given actually are - landline, toilet type etc.

I suggest there is no great issue in using suitably rated 240V switches to run 12V equipment.  The boat I'm sat in at the moment does so extensively, and it causes no problems at all, so is not something I would see the need to change.

9 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

I suggest there is no great issue in using suitably rated 240V switches to run 12V equipment.

May I refer you to this (one of many guides on the subject)

AC or DC?

However, it is the speed with which the circuit is broken that makes a difference. Slow or quick-break; should switch contacts be broken slowly or quickly? It depends on whether the electricity is AC or DC. This may seem odd since electricity is electricity. But AC varies in magnitude and direction while DC maintains a steady unidirectional flow, and an interesting phenomenon exhibits itself when AC and DC circuits are broken. Consider an AC and a DC circuit, each carrying the same amperage. When an AC circuit is slowly broken, the arc or spark is extinguished quickly — a desirable condition (AC naturally has "current zeros" twice a cycle.) Conversely, when a DC circuit is slowly broken, the arc can be drawn much longer before it is extinguished. This is an undesirable condition which leads to pitting of switch contacts, which leads to overheating and premature failure of the switch, which can also lead to fire!

Apart from a switch’s mechanical function, an application’s electrical demands are also what will determine whether or not a particular switch is up to the task. Are you using it to switch a resistive or inductive load?

Loads: Inductive or Resistive?

Knowing what kind of load the switch will be switching makes a difference in the currents and voltages the switch gets exposed to. If the switch is being used to energize a resistive load (R), e.g., an incandescent light or heater, then current rises instantly when the load is turned on and reaches its steady-state value without first rising to a higher value.

However, if the load to be energized is an inductive load (L), for example, an electric motor or transformer, then the load will pull a large amount of current (an inrush current) when first energized. After a few cycles or seconds the current "settles down" to the full-load running current, but inductive loads cause excessive voltages to appear whenever they are switched. In this case, you need to ensure that the switch ratings meet or exceed what the circuit will require or the life of the switch will be greatly diminished or the switch can fail.

A switch’s DC Voltage (VDC) rating is typically always lower than the AC Voltage (VAC) rating at the same current (Amps) rating. For example: A switch rated for 20 amps at 125VAC or (10 amps at 250VAC), would typically have a current rating of less than 1 Amp at 125VDC, and yet the only difference was going from 125 volts AC to 125 volts DC.

Running a pump (inductive load) is not  good idea using switches designed for a light / heater (resistive load)

In my world using 220v AC switches on 12v DC circuits would be a BSS fail.

37 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

In my world using 220v AC switches on 12v DC circuits would be a BSS fail.

Can you quote the bit of the BSS regs that says that please?

No examiner I have yet used (on any boat) had ever suggested it.

12 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Can you quote the bit of the BSS regs that says that please?

No examiner I have yet used (on any boat) had ever suggested it.

No - IT ISNT THERE.

But if they were REALLY worried about safety then (in my world) it would be included.

Maybe they were just not aware of the differences, but will now include it in future versions.

The comment to it being a BSS failure was not related to the switches, but to another glaring 'failure' - an object that needs moving to a more suitable storage location on the boat.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

One of the next things no doubt to exercise the minds of the BSS committee is how to safely test boats that are all electric with in board generators. Both the test itself , level of training and how to protect the examiner 

8 minutes ago, RichM said:

Oh wow, pleased to hear he's back afloat. 

He's gotta bigger boat now. I'll have to check out his vlogs again now. Well a few anyway, I could never make up my mind whether I liked them or not. They were so frequent, and so long, IIRC, that I couldn't keep up with them.

15 hours ago, Lily Rose said:

He's gotta bigger boat now. I'll have to check out his vlogs again now. Well a few anyway, I could never make up my mind whether I liked them or not. They were so frequent, and so long, IIRC, that I couldn't keep up with them.

I've watched them all, well not the model railways channel, they are a bit different from others, but then, so is Dan. 

I hope he lives his dream.

On 22/04/2018 at 08:09, Alan de Enfield said:

Its about 25K, seems about right to me, assuming it is a sound hull and a good engine. If neither of these qualities, then it would be not in the least desirable. 

Edited by LadyG

A classic Dan Brown video. Full of enthusiasm, but who can blame him when he's just bought a boat and is looking forward to using it. Having just done a tiny bit of boating this week (twice through the Islington tunnel and back), my first since October, I get that.

I like the fact that the shelves in his living area have just one item on them - a tea mug.

I see he has (inherited with the boat?) an Ecofan, but in 7 minutes of video managed not to mention it. Maybe it'll get a video all of its own, with a guest appearance by Dr Bob's duck.