Big Bumble Bees

canalboat

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Scottish midges are the worst creatures on this planet

Hallelujah to that. 

Strangely they never get  mentioned in tourist bumf. 

Had to stay away from Scottish mountains because of them, the few trips I did make after that were always in winter 

9 hours ago, matty40s said:

Scottish midges are the worst creatures on this planet. 

Any other country would have evacuated and sprayed the entire place with DDT years ago.

I think you may find that the black flies in Earthquake Park in Anchorage are worse....

11 hours ago, matty40s said:

Any other country would have evacuated and sprayed the entire place with DDT years ago.

I know they are a nuisance ....we lived up there for 20 odd years....but I think the mozzies you get in the med are far worse as their bites end up a itchy red lumps that last a week. For me, midges were just an irritation at the time. 

12 hours ago, matty40s said:

Afraid I can't agree there.  Midges aren't even the worst creatures in the Highlands.  They are a nuisance which can be kept at bay, but at least they don't carry a potentially serious disease, like ticks, or cause ballooning swellings like clegs, horseflies and keds, all of which I have experienced in swarms in July in the North West.

never experienced Scottish midges, but got dined upon by the ones just over the border at Kielder Water which was as bad as any mozzies I've experienced.

last year we noticed an increase in Cleggs whilst cruising, nearly as bad as bot flies :(
wife took to keeping a fly swat on the stern, but I suspect not all the whacks i received were actually fly-related :judge:

BEST JOB IN THE WORLD? 

This is the man needed to referee this debate

"Justin Schmidt has been stung more than 1,000 times by nearly 100 different insect species. Some would call that madness. He calls it science" 

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/guy-got-himself-stung-1000-times-scienceheres-what-he-learned-180959185/

The Schmidt_sting_pain_index Index

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schmidt_sting_pain_index

I like his description of the Bullet Ant

"pure, intense, brilliant pain...like walking over flaming charcoal with a three-inch nail embedded in your heel" 

Although the point is made that pain is a separate  issue to toxicity, for me, due to a weakened immune system, toxicity is the main issue. 

Edited by reg