Interested in the Aintree Beetle

Philip

Featured Posts

I currently own a Norman cruiser which for various reasons I'd like to keep. However, I'm rather interested in the Aintree Beetle which would probably offer a few extra 'home' comforts and give me a bigger scope of navigation. So I am looking into the prospect of running both my Norman 24 and an Aintree 25 (need to be realistic about costing and stick to the shortest version), with the latter providing an opportunity to go places where my cruiser is banned (like Standedge tunnel) and in all honesty being a little more sociable and comfy for inviting friends and family onto than my cruiser is.

My main question is; should I decide that I can't manage two boats and decide to sell the Aintree 25 and keep my cruiser, would I save more money in buying an Aintree 25 off the peg and selling second hand, or would it be more cost effective to look for a second one on brokerage and then sell it on again? In other words does the value of the boat drop more when sold for the first time by the dealer, compared to the value of the boat between the second and third owner (assuming the boat is kept in good condition obviously)?

Edited by Philip

42 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Definitely buy second hand. The initial loss is always because it’s not new any more. 

Just like a car. 

Cheers, that's what I was wondering. Only problem is there are very few on brokerage, I guess because there aren't that many of them around! Storage seems to be the only main weakness with the 25.

The idea of running two short boats might sound a bit outrageous but they are two different types of boat and I guess you could say the running costs won't be much more than owning a 50ft narrowboat. And my cruiser feels a bit like my pride and joy.

I've seen the one at the top end of the Llangollen, but it doesn't seem to be listed online.

Couple more questions; has anyone ever or is currently running two small boats for their own use on here? Also just looking at the 25ft version, there are two layouts for it. The 4-berth version looks more comfy and seems to make better use of space, but do the drawers under the settee/double bed provide enough clothing storage for 1-2 people? In terms of hanging coats up etc, I guess you can hang things on the toilet door handle and on the door bolts.

I've just been for a quick look around the 25ft version at Minshull lock. I must say the interior does look very smart and comfy, with good use of space. Despite being the same size as my cruiser it, the inside feels a fair bit bigger and more open.

• 4 months later...