Boat Painting

Featured Posts

I painted my own Boat a few years back and to be honest I was reasonably happy with the end result , passing Boater both known to me and otherwise have given positive comment and as Boaters in my experience are the most critical of judges I am of the opinion I did a reasonable job . Unfortunately due to overhanging Branches in the main  I have picked up one or two marks , certainly not enough to embark on a total repaint but annoying nonetheless . With result I have been pondering the best course of action . Today whilst out driving I came upon a works van and a middle aged Gentleman spray painting a wall of a house . wesprayanything.com was the name on his vehicle and intrigued by this I stopped to have a word .It turns out he is based in Bromsgrove and yes , he has painted several Narrowboats for several Companies . I must admit to being sceptical ( is that the right word ) but I left him with directions to my Boat and I have to call him later . I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this or indeed any experience of the aforementioned Company , I expect most of the concerns will be similar to my own but I have resolved to give him a call later and perhaps seek out some examples of his work .

52 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Hard to think of a better way to find a good narrowboat painter than seeing someone spraying the wall of a house. I'd say hire him, unless you can get someone to spardash your cabin sides as I believe that's quite hard-wearing. :)

Pebbledashed narrowboat. That’d be different...

3 hours ago, Parahandy said:

Come on serious replies on a Postcard please :D He did mention he had Painted some Newbuilds for some Boat Builder , I shall phone him later . Its an interesting concept though , Spraying on the Towpath .

1 hour ago, mark99 said:

Any form of major painting in anything other than a covered area is cause for concern.

If he painted for a Boat Builder, it was probably in a shed or covered area. He may not be familiar with the type of temperatures encountered on boats in the summer. Spraying onto hot steel does not work if the paint does not wet the surface properly. Very important for the primer coat. He may not want to paint at a time when the steel is the right temperature. Make sure he knows what he is doing on boats.

1 hour ago, Dr Bob said:

If he painted for a Boat Builder, it was probably in a shed or covered area. He may not be familiar with the type of temperatures encountered on boats in the summer. Spraying onto hot steel does not work if the paint does not wet the surface properly. Very important for the primer coat. He may not want to paint at a time when the steel is the right temperature. Make sure he knows what he is doing on boats.

Having Brush Painted my own on the Towpath , Temperature was one of my major worries Bob

https://wesprayanything.com

Here is his website Bob

https://www.facebook.com/We-Spray-Anything-Ltd-188559294534706/

Edited by Parahandy

I would think the boats sprayed for boat builders would be bare shells with no windows or fittings and in a covered and possibly workshop, so very easy, but having to mask up or remove everything first is very time consuming, and doing it on the tow path even worse but he interesting to hear his reply.

Neil

Wind is the big issue with spraying and I doubt that any even slightly professional sprayer would consider doing a boat outdoors. In the worse case some of the spray could end up on the boat moored behind.

.............Dave