Getting off grid

alastair1988

Featured Posts

The big benefit of hybrid is you can have a small (maybe 15 HP) engine running at optimum revs whilst cruising nicely but have 35 HP stopping power and accelerate power boosted by the electric. This should use less fuel than a 35 HP engine ticking over or running at sub optimal revs 90% of the time.

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

But but... there is NO saving on diesel. Fuel consumption is likely to be higher if anything, as you have to run the engine to run the generator to charge the batteries which then supply leccy to the motor that turns the prop. Several extra layers of energy losses it there compared to 'run the engine which turns the prop'.

The whole thing is pointless. Or is there something making you think otherwise?

Very true.  There are several methods employed on boats for many many years that actualy work and is why most people still use the tried and trusted methods and will continue for some time yet. Such as SOLID fuel stoves. GAS cooking. Internal combustion engines for propulsion and electricity generation and Lead acid batteries. Some stuff helps a little such as solar panels but cannot be used in isolation. 

50 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Very true.  There are several methods employed on boats for many many years that actualy work and is why most people still use the tried and trusted methods and will continue for some time yet. Such as SOLID fuel stoves. GAS cooking. Internal combustion engines for propulsion and electricity generation and Lead acid batteries. Some stuff helps a little such as solar panels but cannot be used in isolation. 

And why most of those solid fuel stoves have an ecofan on top.

Oops, did I just say that?

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

And why most of those solid fuel stoves have an ecofan on top.

Oops, did I just say that?

Perhaps we should..............err no.......................

In addition to the points already raised, there are two others.

1) Overly complicated, so more likely to go wrong.

2) When it does go wrong the average boatyard won't have the skills to fix it.

With boats conservative design and redundancy (having another key system such as central heating and a stove in case one fails), are the key things.

• Greenie 1

7 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

How about hamsters? A couple of hundred in cages on the roof with little wheels. Teach 'em to sleep in the day. At night the wheels go round and charge the batteries. During day, the solar kicks in. Need to oil the spindles well to get a good nights sleep.

No need to teach the Hamsters to sleep in the day....    they are nocturnal 

Phil 

8 hours ago, Tumshie said:

Fair doos - but until you didn't discuss it I didn't know that so I appreciate you and Jen-in-Wellies taking the time to not discuss it with me.   :D

There are a number of alternatives, one being 'wife power', so in addition to lock operation, baby production, washing & cooking they make useful generator operators :

Pedal generator.jpg

17 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Its so hot onboard today, I lit the fire to get a cool breeze from the ecofan. Bliss it is! 

How about an ecofan stuck to the inside of the roof - ok you'd need to cut through the insulation etc. but if your roof is hot would it be enough to turn the fan blades?

:wacko:

25 minutes ago, KevMc said:

How about an ecofan stuck to the inside of the roof - ok you'd need to cut through the insulation etc. but if your roof is hot would it be enough to turn the fan blades?

:wacko:

These ecofan 'jokes' have from endless repetition become less than side splitting. Can we revert to the 'Hudson/butler' jokes please?

8 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

These ecofan 'jokes' have from endless repetition become less than side splitting. Can we revert to the 'Hudson/butler' jokes please?

surely it's time for the multiple smartgauge jokes to resurface.

18 hours ago, Phil Ambrose said:

No need to teach the Hamsters to sleep in the day....    they are nocturnal 

Phil 

Indeed, I have only ever seen them play at night.

As is is one of  my favourite bands (now sadly retired) playing  one of my favourite songs, perhaps I will put it in the "share your music" thread.

Edited by cuthound