Barrus Shire - Engine Overheating

RichM

Featured Posts

You seem to have identified the stat as your problem.  However, just in case....  I had a similar (Barrus Shire) mystery a couple of years ago.  Warning buzzer, hot engine, cold hoses and skin tank.  Everything looked OK at first glance.  Then I had a grope around.  The backing fabric of the fan belt was present so looked OK - however, the rest of the belt had stripped off and was lying in the bilge.  So, no water pump or alternator - hence overheating/no charge warning.  Fortunately I had an old belt as a temporary fix even if it did involve taking the boat apart to find it!!!

I gave it a proper test without the thermostat in place and it no longer appears to overheat and the hoses leading in to and out of the skin tank warm up indicating flow of coolant once again. I have contacted Barrus regarding a replacement thermostat and will hopefully get a new one ordered soon. 

Thanks all!

13 hours ago, RichM said:

I gave it a proper test without the thermostat in place and it no longer appears to overheat and the hoses leading in to and out of the skin tank warm up indicating flow of coolant once again. I have contacted Barrus regarding a replacement thermostat and will hopefully get a new one ordered soon. 

Thanks all!

Don't buy one from them. Just ask them   the temp it opens at ie 82c and buy it from a car spares shop for a few quid.

Neil

On 14/05/2018 at 08:43, Neil Smith said:

Don't buy one from them. Just ask them   the temp it opens at ie 82c and buy it from a car spares shop for a few quid.

Neil

Thanks, that's useful. They replied with:

"Model code and serial is 1653E-020251

The part numbers that you require are:

X1 Thermostat 71° 129155-49810

X1 O-Ring 129150-49811

X2 Gasket 129795-49551

X1 Thermostat 82° RDG5766"

I thought it was odd that they mention it has two thermostats as it was mentioned in this topic that it should only have one. I can only locate the one which I have tested and proven to be a dud - I believe it is the 82c one based on your advice. When I queried Barrus, they replied with:

"These are custom built marine engines and your engine should have two thermostats, one is located in the original engine location and the second is located in the extended Thermostat housing."

So I imagine the 82c one is in the "extended thermostat housing", if so, where is the other?

Cheers

Rich

Edited by RichM
Topic renamed to reflect main issue discussed in topic