general questions

Craig Campbell

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Craig Campbell said:

Hello, Debbie here using craigs forum, thanks, new to boating, would like to know what you say instead of hello to other boaters?

I generally say "hello how are you" but I never ever listen to the answer

I think of the name of the place I last went through and then say ........

"Have you heard about the  .....

Volcano

Earthquake

Whirlpool

Toppled crane

Tree blocking

....... that's happened at (insert name of last place)

If moored it seems the traditional greeting to a person on a moving boat is 'SLOW DOWN!!!' to which the considered response is 'TIE UP  PROPERLY!'.  (Expletive sometimes added.)   But if you are in a hurry 'GET ******ED!' is sometimes used.

It's more about appearing to be being friendly than what you actually say.  What you should be prepared for is the other boater having no idea what you actually said because of the noise of their own engine. This is why, whatever you say, you'll find you get some strange replies!  "Half past two" being one of the more understandable ones.

• Greenie 1

If both you and the person on the other boat are steering, you have only a few seconds in which there's any chance of making out what the other person said over the engine noise. So keep it very brief. People sitting at the bows get slightly longer.

It's the done thing to say something or at least wave a bit, even in London where such behaviour would be well out of order on any other form of transport except a night bus.

An exception is rowers on the Thames (probably rowers anywhere); they're always very focused on what they're doing and ignore any attempt at a greeting. Canoe people seem much more outgoing.