The Ducks out! Where am I?

Dr Bob

Featured Posts

Dr Bob's otherwise disposed so I have nicked his mac book. We are out and about .......but here's a challenge. Where are we? Photos taken this afternoon. More clues than you think. 5 points for the canal, 10 points for the actual location.

duck1-1201.jpg

duck2-1222.jpg

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, matty40s said:

It looks like the Ashby though. ....

27 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Gis a clue.

No, not the Ashby.

A clue? Not giving up already? ........well ok then. Not a lock for miles.....well 5 miles in one direction and none in the other and it's bridge 53 not 55.

I thought the most obvious clue was that the bridge was built in stone. That pointed to a northern waterway and one that doesn't look heavily used. I discounted the Macclesfield and Lancaster and then noted that the duck was seemingly without boat.

JP

41 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

That was a clue? I was hoping for somthing more substantial ,like a road sign!

Naw, the duck's more devious than that.

Up here in the wild north, the leaves aren't on the trees yet compared to down south. The wind was blowing...which it isnt down your way. Well done Cpt Pegg for getting it almost right! Unfortunately I had to be up here in Scotland for a few days work(!!!!) .....got to keep those dividends coming in.... and I picked the 3 days when the weather gets hot down there. We drove up Wednesday and are heading back tomorrow and might just catch a few days of hot weather to get the boat out. A few more pics I would have used as clues are below. The first may have been a giveaway with the snow covered Ochils in the background. Not a boat on the move by the way. Cant see this canal lasting much longer with the weed growth.

I thought @haggis or @Tumshie would have been in with the location first!

duck3-1212.jpg

duck3-1201.jpg

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

I thought the most obvious clue was that the bridge was built in stone. That pointed to a northern waterway and one that doesn't look heavily used. I discounted the Macclesfield and Lancaster and then noted that the duck was seemingly without boat.

JP

Yes, well thought out. Certainly not heavily used. My son lives in a house overlooking the canal in that last pic and I've seen no boats moving at all save for the Black Prince one. No locks or swing bridges to close though on this section between Edinburgh and the Falkirk wheel. The sun was actually shinning although it has been mostly cloudy and not that hot for the last 2 days - typical Scotland.

1 minute ago, Dr Bob said:

Yes, well thought out. Certainly not heavily used. My son lives in a house overlooking the canal in that last pic and I've seen no boats moving at all save for the Black Prince one. No locks or swing bridges to close though on this section between Edinburgh and the Falkirk wheel. The sun was actually shinning although it has been mostly cloudy and not that hot for the last 2 days - typical Scotland.

26 degrees onboard at the moment. No ecofan in sight!

Looks like  53

Apologies if the right answer has come in whilst I have going through my old picture files looking for the photos of all Br53's I have taken - but can't easily  find them - they must be on my old laptop. But definitely not Polesworth - I'm moored there now

5 minutes ago, Horace42 said:

Looks like  53

Apologies if the right answer has come in whilst I have going through my old picture files looking for the photos of all Br53's I have taken - but can't easily  find them - they must be on my old laptop. But definitely not Polesworth - I'm moored there now

Oh, defo bridge 53. Bit further north than Polesworth. There's snow on them hills nearby! Answer in an earlier post.

15 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Oh, defo bridge 53. Bit further north than Polesworth. There's snow on them hills nearby! Answer in an earlier post.

Snow on our hills last week, so could have been here, except no decent towpath here, nor any canal piling for decent mooring - and definitely no yellow duck.

I resisted looking at the link in #11 - that would have been cheating on my part and spoilt the fun.

...but a 'little bit' further North ?? - you had me looking up the T&M - Wood end lock - Br53 there is the one they will have to strengthen to carry the HS2 when it goes through.

I'd would have never got to Scotland with my search....you clue takes 'thebiscuit'

• Happy 1

7 hours ago, Horace42 said:

Snow on our hills last week, so could have been here, except no decent towpath here, nor any canal piling for decent mooring - and definitely no yellow duck.

I resisted looking at the link in #11 - that would have been cheating on my part and spoilt the fun.

...but a 'little bit' further North ?? - you had me looking up the T&M - Wood end lock - Br53 there is the one they will have to strengthen to carry the HS2 when it goes through.

I'd would have never got to Scotland with my search....you clue takes 'thebiscuit'

No, I definitely didnt see @TheBiscuits up there.

There are leaves on all the bushes and trees down here (well, at least buds) whereas they are 2-3 weeks behind up there. I was going to show a shot with a load of daffodils - but no one would have got that one.

Edited by Dr Bob

8 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

If you had posted a pic of daffodils,I would have guessed at the Lake district!

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeejut! No canals in the Lake District.....just lakes.

Got back to the Midlands early afternoon......and its raining!!!!!