Grand Union Lock 101 - Onto the Thames

Jennifer McM

Featured Posts

We should have been through the lock at 8:30 this morning, only the electrics failed on the lock (said the Lockie). 

We're hoping to catch the later tide, except it doesn't look as if the lock's been repaired yet.

C&RT obviously have been informed, but we're waiting for a call back.

Just thought I'd alert boaters as the problem doesn't appear on the stoppages webpage.

Hope we don't lose the 'glorious weather' before we get out in the Thames.

By "later tide" did you mean tomorrow morning?

I don't know the tide times, but adding 12.5 hours onto 8:30am has you going out onto the Thames at 9pm and boating (to Teddington I guess) in the dark. There's nothing I know of to stop you doing that so long as you have navigation lights on, and I don't know anything about your level of experience, but personally I'd much prefer to do it in daylight.

The weather is certainly looking good, another warm day here, and river levels continue to go down towards normal:

http://riverconditions.environment-agency.gov.uk/

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, Tam & Di said:

I'm surprised that there is no means of manual over-ride.

You'd think so wouldn't you. I expect they have in case the power went off when the gates were open. But that wasn't forthcoming from the lockie this morning. There's been no activity at all (that we've noticed) around the lock.

C&RT have been having an all day team meeting apparently in a hotel in Camden, this is the reason our four phone calls haven't been returned. 

16 minutes ago, Peter X said:

By "later tide" did you mean tomorrow morning?

I don't know the tide times, but adding 12.5 hours onto 8:30am has you going out onto the Thames at 9pm and boating (to Teddington I guess) in the dark. There's nothing I know of to stop you doing that so long as you have navigation lights on, and I don't know anything about your level of experience, but personally I'd much prefer to do it in daylight.

The weather is certainly looking good, another warm day here, and river levels continue to go down towards normal:

http://riverconditions.environment-agency.gov.uk/

We've now had a phone call, and there's an operative coming out to fix it. There's window about five o/clock for us to go. The lockies at Teddington are waiting, so that's no problem. So hopefully we'll manage the five and half miles plus Richmond lock well in time.

Found the tide times here http://rjen.me.uk/tides/Tides2018-Brentford.pdf

1 minute ago, mark99 said:

Depending upon timing you may not need to use Richmond 1/2 lock. 

Ps that stretch of Thames is gorgeous.

Thanks for that... really looking forward to the 'cruise'. Hope the lock an be fixed tonight, otherwise we might be bobbing up and down here over the weekend.

Tis a funny place between 100 and 101. Not without its attractions.

Quick check of tide tables on my mobile methinks if you get out soon after 5pm you have a clear way through and can bypass Richmond 1/2 lock saving 8 quid. :)

• Greenie 1

18 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Tis a funny place between 100 and 101. Not without its attractions.

Quick check of tide tables on my mobile methinks if you get out soon after 5pm you have a clear way through and can bypass Richmond 1/2 lock saving 8 quid. :)

That sounds great to me - but still no sign of anyone on the lock. It is a fascinating place where we're waiting, parakeets, a moorhen on a floating nest - it's all here. 

The downside, since 9 this morning we've been well below the towpath, and at our ages, those days have gone where we can jump from narrowboat roofs onto the towpaths. Plus our 42kg dog has to cross his legs until he can jump from the boat when the tide is high. Oh the joys of boating.... :) 

The river at Teddington was still running fairly fast above the lock yesterday (we had a walk along there) but you won't have any difficulty. Plenty of mooring space.

Edited by Onewheeler
  • Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Onewheeler said:

The river at Teddington was still running fairly fast above the lock yesterday (we had a walk along there) but you won't have any difficuly. Plenty of mooring space.

Thank you for that - it's good to know we'll be okay for mooring. Chertsey Lock to Shepperton Lock is still on yellow alert 

Although there are guidelines about only going up to Teddington in the last two hours before High Tide, there are several other options not often mentioned. One that I find useful is to leave Brentford two hours after High Tide. You push against the tide for only the first mile and then you go up Richmond Lock onto the then non-tidal river to Teddington. This is a very easy run despite the fact that some of the Lock keepers get very wound up when you insist on your right to be locked through at that time. Some (one) lock keeper insists it can't be done - it can!

If you need any more advice on the Brentford Teddington transit just ask me - I know that part of the river very well.

Edited by WJM
  • Greenie 1

Once you get through Teddington Lock then pull up and moor on the generous landings. Cross the long footbrige to some pubs. Opposite was Teddington Studios (two ton Ted from Teddington - ref Ernie song) Benny Hill filmed there. Now going to be/is houses.

Watch out for debris floating towards you on the tidal.

Edited by mark99
  • Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, WJM said:

Although there are guidelines about only going up to Teddington in the last two hours before High Tide, there are several other options not often mentioned. One that I find useful is to leave Brentford two hours after High Tide. You push against the tide for only the first mile and then you go up Richmond Lock onto the then non-tidal river to Teddington. This is a very easy run despite the fact that some of the Lock keepers get very would up when you insist on your right to be locked through at that time. Some (one) lock keeper insists it can't be done - it can!

If you need any more advice on the Brentford Teddington transit just ask me - I know that part of the river very well.

Thank you WJM, think this is what we should have done this morning, high tide was 06.16, and we were told to be ready for 08.30. Speaking to the Teddington lock keeper this morning he appeared relaxed, more or less saying we'll see you when we see you - but there usually a 'one'!

There's still no sign of any activity, so we might be going with your suggestion tomorrow.

4 hours ago, mark99 said:

Once you get through Teddington Lock then pull up and moor on the generous landings. Cross the long footbrige to some pubs. Opposite was Teddington Studios (two ton Ted from Teddington - ref Ernie song) Benny Hill filmed there. Now going to be/is houses.

Watch out for debris floating towards you on the tidal.

... and this is exactly where we're now moored :)

Thank you everyone for your help, a lockie turned up and just like magic, the gates opened. Problem being; someone on a building site nearby, cut the electric cable.

If only C&RT had kept us up to date with the problem - think the team meeting broke the chain of information.

But what a fantastic journey, it looked like all London was out having picnics along the river, and just having fun. Thank you sunshine.

We didn't even have to go through Richmond Lock!

20-12.jpg.fd65f760aa440918760b47b492215af8.jpg