Fox and anchor pub

Boat&Bikes

Featured Posts

It's one of our regular stops, then on to either Compton or towards  Brewood the next day. We've not heard good things about the pub though, very much a chain pub with not very good service according to what we've been told. Never actually eaten there ourselves.

Called there 10 days ago and a transformation:

Interior altered little

Nice, staff

Dog friendly. Yes,true, dog friendly!!!

To me view, a poor menu from which Vintage Inns first did. They were great.

But otherwise, from a reluctant stop over to a destination.

Happy days.... 

James

In fairness to this place and probably most other Vintage Inns (like the Cheshire Cat at Rowton), I've always found the food to be of good quality and well cooked and prepared. Perhaps the menu could be enhanced but that aside you can usually be fairly confident that you'll get something good here. 

Beyond Coven, I seem to remember there was a place to eat at Hatherton Junction but this was some years ago. The next place I know for sure is at Gailey; a walk down the road to a huge carvery pub. Going the other way, Compton has a nice Italian next to the canal which does good pizzas and apparently the Indian restaurant there does excellent curries (haven't tried the Indian yet).

31 minutes ago, Philip said:

In fairness to this place and probably most other Vintage Inns (like the Cheshire Cat at Rowton), I've always found the food to be of good quality and well cooked and prepared. Perhaps the menu could be enhanced but that aside you can usually be fairly confident that you'll get something good here. 

Beyond Coven, I seem to remember there was a place to eat at Hatherton Junction but this was some years ago. The next place I know for sure is at Gailey; a walk down the road to a huge carvery pub. Going the other way, Compton has a nice Italian next to the canal which does good pizzas and apparently the Indian restaurant there does excellent curries (haven't tried the Indian yet).

Compton also has one of the best chip shops.

Called in on my way through last October for some lunch and then went back in for an evening meal. I'd give the food a seven out of ten, the service was variable depending on who you got....... Initially walked in, asked if I could have a meal and was offered a bag of crisps! I then asked to look at a menu, she went off and failed to find one, but another member of staff came along and quickly sorted me out. 

After I had my evening meal I went and sat at the other end of the pub to sup a pint or two and had quite a long chat with who I assumed to be the manageress, asked me a lot of questions about boats, boating and living aboard. I'd be happy to repeat the experience at sometime in the future. 

2 hours ago, Mal in Somerset said:

There's an excellent butchers 10 minutes walk away on the right as you head into Coven (closed Mondays).

There is indeed. There's also a Co-op just a bit further on into the village. Take care crossing the main road, though! 

This is a safe mooring, and there is plenty of it. I think you will find this is no longer a Vintage Inn, and the name has changed back to 'The Anchor', as it was before Vintage.

If the pub does not suit your needs, walk down to the bridge and walk the short way to the Three Hammers Bistro which is part of the golf course. Good food and a fine selection of beer.

8 hours ago, Ex Brummie said:

This is a safe mooring, and there is plenty of it. I think you will find this is no longer a Vintage Inn, and the name has changed back to 'The Anchor', as it was before Vintage.

If the pub does not suit your needs, walk down to the bridge and walk the short way to the Three Hammers Bistro which is part of the golf course. Good food and a fine selection of beer.

The Bistro looked a bit upmarket for us scruffy boaters when we last looked at it.

9 hours ago, BruceinSanity said:

The Bistro looked a bit upmarket for us scruffy boaters when we last looked at it.

Don't be fooled. It is treated like a local by many, and have you seen the state of golfers when they have finished a round? Portions are proper sized too!!

8 minutes ago, Ex Brummie said:

Don't be fooled. It is treated like a local by many, and have you seen the state of golfers when they have finished a round? Portions are proper sized too!!

I couldn't find the Bistro but I came upon "The Inn on the Green" (apparently it had been called the Dolphin) which seemed fine. It was certainly dog friendly.