Best drill bit ever?

casper ghost

Featured Posts

On 20/04/2018 at 12:40, Sir Nibble said:

The same set also included one spiraled the wrong way and they all bent. Pound shop.

Probably a left hand drill bit. 

There is a specific use for them, but I can’t remember what!

6 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Probably a left hand drill bit. 

There is a specific use for them, but I can’t remember what!

They’re for Australians. Obviously one of them went to the wrong export market. 

2 hours ago, nicknorman said:

For extracting broken bolts/studs etc

Possibly, but I cant see it matters much what you use the drill the hole for an 'easy-out' stud extractor.

51010.jpg

I think there is a better use for a LH twist drill, but I can't think of it!

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

11 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Possibly, but I cant see it matters much what you use the drill the hole for an 'easy-out' stud extractor.

51010.jpg

Have used left hand bits a lot over the years, mainly on Japanese motorcycles. Often they will unscrew the broken bolt without needing to use an extractor.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

As per Ian's post, a LH drill may well extract the stud on its own, but even if an extractor is subsequently required at least it hasn't further tightened the broken stud whilst drilling.

If you can think of a better use, you are a better man than me! (not hard!).

3 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

The snag with extractors is that the load is concentrated on a few threads near the top, and no torque is exerted further down the broken bolt/stud. If the hole drilled is too small, it is easy to break the smaller extractor. If the hole is too large, the broken stud can be expanded to make it even tighter.

The left handed drill distributes heat all the way down the stud, and grips lightlyfor the whole length of the drill within the stud. Unlike with extractors, I have never had a failure with a left hand drill, even when the last bit of the stud to be removed is a spiral from the thread crests.

21 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

51010.jpg

These things must be the most futile waste of space ever. In 45 years I have seen a broken stud shifted by one of these once and dozens broken off.

20 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

These things must be the most futile waste of space ever. In 45 years I have seen a broken stud shifted by one of these once and dozens broken off.

Agreed, I bought a set from the snap on man when I worked in a garage 40 odd. Years ago and still u used to this day, they wasn't cheap either.

Neil.

1 hour ago, Sir Nibble said:

I agree. I’ve only tried to use one once and the size necessary was so small compared to the broken stud I had no confidence to apply suffient force for fear it would snap off. 

I wasn’t recommending them. I guess I agree with Nick, it is the intended use for a left hand twist drill. 

Moving this conversation on, has anyone got recommendations regarding drill bits. I had some really nice Bosch cobalt ones that lasted ages but I don't seem to be able to find good replacements. 

I did a bulk buy from ebay for unbranded generic metal drills and half of them had a tip that wasn't centered. Appalling rubbish. 

Dormer were at one time the drill bits to have, still are. Any ordinary good make of HSS bits are very good if used at the correct speed for its size and lubricant and will last well.  Draper aren't bad. I've used the tapered flute type of uneasyout, a bit better than the spiral type but not much.

I had a broken bolt on my bike once.  The guy in the workshop drilled a hole in the broken stud, then rather than using a stud extractor, hammered in a Torx bit.  Stud came out easily and the Torx bit was none the worse for the experience, although I expect they were better quality than the average bits on ebay.