Best drill bit ever?

casper ghost

Featured Posts

19 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

Moving this conversation on, has anyone got recommendations regarding drill bits. I had some really nice Bosch cobalt ones that lasted ages but I don't seem to be able to find good replacements. 

I did a bulk buy from ebay for unbranded generic metal drills and half of them had a tip that wasn't centered. Appalling rubbish. 

I’ve had good results with the cobalt drills from Axminster. Not cheap but they’ll drill through 1/2” stainless without blinking. 

https://www.axminster.co.uk/19-piece-cobalt-hss-drill-bit-set-300282

Or fewer, for less...https://www.axminster.co.uk/10-piece-cobalt-hss-drill-bit-set-300284?utm_source=emarsys&utm_medium=web-recommendations&utm_campaign=emarsys-recommendations-home-page-personal

1 minute ago, David Mack said:

And two very different customer reviews!

Yup, and my experience echos the first. I wonder if the second reviewer was opening up an existing hole and causing the bit to catch instead of cutting its own hole. 

Walked into the toolroom one night to see a Bridgeport mill being used to extract a broken stud. There was a centre drill rotating the "wrong" way.

Upon asking was told its a left hand one a bit blunt - no being a wise old apprentice my reply was oh yes along with the tartan paint, the rubber hammer and glass nails.

Upon further inspection it really was a left hander and you can buy them.

4 hours ago, barry adams said:

Walked into the toolroom one night to see a Bridgeport mill being used to extract a broken stud. There was a centre drill rotating the "wrong" way.

Upon asking was told its a left hand one a bit blunt - no being a wise old apprentice my reply was oh yes along with the tartan paint, the rubber hammer and glass nails.

Upon further inspection it really was a left hander and you can buy them.

And when they’re not being used you no doubt hang them on sky hooks along with the long weights. 

52 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

It's like walking into a sweetie shop. 

Ain’t it just. I have one about a mile away and it’s next door to Screwfix, so whenever I have to pop out for a box of screws or whatever I have to be really disciplined not to pop in ‘just for a look’. ;)

55 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

Thanks for the suggestions. I shall go with the Axminster ones. They've got an outlet not too far away...

Then if you do experience any problems I guess it’s easy to pop back and say “Ere!”

9 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Not suggesting they are particularly good but I have found the cobalt drills from Toolstation OK. Maybe easier to find locally than Axminster.

Good tip Tony. I didn’t even realise they sold them. I’m spoiled, I have a Screwfix & Axminster less than a mile away, Toolstation, Wickes, Jewsons, and proper builders merchants all about 2 miles away. B&Q is a bit of a run out at 8 miles away!

On 25/04/2018 at 09:50, dor said:

I had a broken bolt on my bike once.  The guy in the workshop drilled a hole in the broken stud, then rather than using a stud extractor, hammered in a Torx bit.  Stud came out easily and the Torx bit was none the worse for the experience, although I expect they were better quality than the average bits on ebay.

I use a similar trick to undo rounded allen key headed bolts Torx really does seem to grab well

43 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Good tip Tony. I didn’t even realise they sold them. I’m spoiled, I have a Screwfix & Axminster less than a mile away, Toolstation, Wickes, Jewsons, and proper builders merchants all about 2 miles away. B&Q is a bit of a run out at 8 miles away!

I like toolstation cobalt drills as well, but you MUST use coolant/lube otherwise they rapidly overheat and loose their edge

7 minutes ago, Jess-- said:

I use a similar trick to undo rounded allen key headed bolts Torx really does seem to grab well

My mate works in a tyre shop and if a customer has lost his locking wheel nut tool he has a sort of female torx socket in various sizes that he hammers over the nut and unscrews it, they have to get a new nut after though.

Neil