Help please! Water pump (?) issues!

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, blythecooper said:

You can sleep easy tonight rusty69. I have put some water in the water tank and can now do the washing up. My first (of many, I'm sure) rookie error.

Great. Glad you got it sorted.I can get some sleep tonight:).

Welcome to the wonderful world of boating!

10 minutes ago, blythecooper said:

Oh wait, the saga continues... So the chugging sound is the water heater dumping water out of the side of the boat. Just happened when I flushed the toilet. Any thoughts? I put 55 litres into the tank earlier.

Do you mean the pressure relief valve on the calorifier?

12 minutes ago, blythecooper said:

Oh wait, the saga continues... So the chugging sound is the water heater dumping water out of the side of the boat. Just happened when I flushed the toilet. Any thoughts? I put 55 litres into the tank earlier.

Sounds like the pressure release valve is leaking, normally there is a red knob on the end that twists. Give it a couple of turns and that might help or it might need replacing.

3 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Sounds like the pressure release valve is leaking, normally there is a red knob on the end that twists. Give it a couple of turns and that might help or it might need replacing.

I've got two red knobs that switch from calorifier to water heater. Do you mean one of those? If so, which one and which way? Thanks for the quick reply!

Oh I've just seen another red knob.. Will take photo

Edited by blythecooper

Just now, blythecooper said:

I've got two red knobs that switch from calorifier to water heater. Do you mean one of those? If so, which one and which way? Thanks for the quick reply!

Its usually a knurled red knob on the top of the calorifier.Similar to image below.May have a pipe attached that connects to a skin fitting.

images.jpeg

5 minutes ago, blythecooper said:

No, is there a valve near the calorifier (hot water cylinder) that has a pipe that goes out through the side of the boat?

I was too slow, you have the correct valve.

Edited by Rob-M

6 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Sounds to me as though it is operating correctly, i.e. detecting a fault condition and discharging to protect the calorifier from damage. 

Ok... Just to clarify before I do anything stupid, I'm turning the pressure relief valve to the left a few times, and the water pump is off while I'm doing this?

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Sounds to me as though it is operating correctly, i.e. detecting a fault condition and discharging to protect the calorifier from damage. 

So it's looking like there's a fault with the water pump? Or the heater? Or the calorifier? Or d) any of the above?

Ok... Just to clarify before I do anything stupid, I'm turning the pressure relief valve to the left a few times, and the water pump is off while I'm doing this?

Does it have an arrow on top. Our one turns clockwise.

7 minutes ago, blythecooper said:

So it's looking like there's a fault with the water pump? Or the heater? Or the calorifier? Or d) any of the above?

Yes turn the pump off first. 

My guess is you'll get only a tiny amount of water out, when you ought to be able to get a litre or two before it peters out. This will be because the expansion vessel in your photos has lost its air pressure and needs recharging with a bicycle pump or similar. 

Have a try and report back what happens...

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
Speeling!

7 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

But it may have some scale that is sticking it open, we had this happen on a hire boat. After a few hours the water tank was empty. The hire company came out and put a new valve on.

1 minute ago, Rob-M said:

But it may have some scale that is sticking it open, we had this happen on a hire boat. After a few hours the water tank was empty. The hire company came out and put a new valve on.

Yes it may, but this is not fully consistent with the symptoms reported. 

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yes it may, but this is not fully consistent with the symptoms reported. 

But its an easy thing to try without calling someone out.

I'm off down the pub now as you are in good hands with mtb. Hope you get it sorted OP.

Just now, rusty69 said:

Does it have an arrow on top. Our one turns clockwise.

Ok. Yup, anticlockwise arrow. Turned it a few times and it dumped out a little water. Turned the pump back on and it didn't stop pumping, continued to pump water out the side. Turned it off, twisted the valve a few more times, turned on pump again. Pump didn't stop running but didn't dump water out the side, then the sound started happening again and water pumping out.

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

But its an easy thing to try without calling someone out.

I'm off down the pub now as you are in good hands with mtb. Hope you get it sorted OP.

Thanks rusty69. Enjoy your eve!

I have to say this is all rather exciting for me.

Ok. Yup, anticlockwise arrow. Turned it a few times and it dumped out a little water. Turned the pump back on and it didn't stop pumping, continued to pump water out the side. Turned it off, twisted the valve a few more times, turned on pump again. Pump didn't stop running but didn't dump water out the side, then the sound started happening again and water pumping out.

Thanks rusty69. Enjoy your eve!

I have to say this is all rather exciting for me.

As mtb said ealier then, its probably activating due to excess pressure in the system(which will protect he calorifier from damage), or possibly a faulty pressure relief valve.