Magnetic Fishing

robtheplod

Featured Posts

On 4/19/2018 at 14:45, ditchcrawler said:

Much better than the Sea Searcher in my opinion I have one.

Not my experience at all.

The Sea Searcher beats those more lightweight offerings every time in my book.

Our Sea Searcher even pulled out the very heaviest of the builders trolleys that can be found at canal-side branch of Wickes.  No way would one of the lightweight ones do that.

9 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Not my experience at all.

The Sea Searcher beats those more lightweight offerings every time in my book.

Our Sea Searcher even pulled out the very heaviest of the builders trolleys that can be found at canal-side branch of Wickes.  No way would one of the lightweight ones do that.

Pretty sure the sea searcher has a 65kg pull force, even a cheapo £20 eBay one has at least twice that, mine range from 200kgs to 400kgs and there is not much we have left behind.

4 minutes ago, jocave said:

Pretty sure the sea searcher has a 65kg pull force, even a cheapo £20 eBay one has at least twice that, mine range from 200kgs to 400kgs and there is not much we have left behind.

I can't retrieve a 200kg magnet when it gets stuck on pilings or the boat.  I can retrieve a smaller one :)

9 hours ago, jocave said:

And off topic again , like every other thread ..

Is that a moan?

This thread has been running for 4 days and 2 days ago descended into off topic banter. That banter has kept it to the top of the list so late comers - like yourself posting 2 days after it started - would see it. Without banter threads die before everyone with an important input has a chance to see it. Take your other thread on viewing a boat. Give it a day and it will slip off the bottom of the list if every post has to be on topic. A previous owner of the boat may then miss it. I am sure the banter will start once the serious stuff has slowed down and your thread will be a the top of the list for days which is what you want .....isn't it?

• Greenie 2

Just to add to my previous post, the title of this thread is magnetic fishing. How ambiguous is that! Fishing is a word often used for the act of catching fish. The clue is in the title. Put the word magnetic in front, and what does it mean? Are you fishing for magnets? Are you fishing for fish with magnets? The OP was asking for banter with a topic like that. I did wait 4 days before changing magnets to maggots! 

The first 2 posts showed how open to off topic discussion this was!

Edited by Dr Bob

2 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Just to add to my previous post, the title of this thread is magnetic fishing. How ambiguous is that! Fishing is a word often used for the act of catching fish. The clue is in the title. Put the word magnetic in front, and what does it mean? Are you fishing for magnets? Are you fishing for fish with magnets? The OP was asking for banter with a topic like that. I did wait 4 days before changing magnets to maggots! 

Now, that's a moan. 

hqdefault.jpg

Edited by rusty69

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

Now, that's a moan. 

No, not a moan at all. The more obtuse the title (or should I say how many shades of grey:)) the more opportunity for full discussion of the original topic. I mean, look at MrSmely's Ecofan thread.

3 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

. I am sure the banter will start once the serious stuff has slowed down and your thread will be a the  top of the list for days which is what you want .....isn't it?

Well put that is basically the ethics of off topic banter in a nutshell.

• Happy 1

A hooge outdood loud speaker magnet is my magnet. I drilled and tapped the centre and screwed in an eye bolt for the rope.  It has a big catchment area and never fails to rescue things. Iven , for a laugh I even towed my cousins 40' narrowboat with it without it coming off.

001.JPG

2 hours ago, robtheplod said:

Just looking round CRT website and it says that Magnetic fishing is not permitted... :(

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/contact-us/reporting-litter-weeds-and-pollution

Was not aware of that

Partial quote

"Consequently, you are not allowed to magnet fish in our waterways. And here’s why.." 

Not sure  what the sanctions are if I am caught trying to retrieve my lost mooring clip.