Magnetic Fishing

robtheplod

Featured Posts

Hi All

What is the general consensus on magnetic fishing?  is it ok to do or is it frowned upon?

What size magnet would be needed to pickup something the size/weight of a windlass?

Just considering a new hobby that goes with my love of canals!!

Cut out from card little fish shapes. Colour them in to your choice. Slip a paper clip onto each one. Put them in a bucket. A stick, string with a little U shaped magnet tied on makes the fishing rod.  Sit cross legged by the bucket and fish. Season doesn't start until June though.  :closedeyes:

• Greenie 1

12 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

Hi All

What is the general consensus on magnetic fishing?  is it ok to do or is it frowned upon?

What size magnet would be needed to pickup something the size/weight of a windlass?

No problems at all, a lot of people do it. You will need something like a Sea Searcher to pick up a windlass. I made one up using a  large loudspeaker magnet  .Most chandlers will sell them. https://marinestore.co.uk/Sea_Searcher_Recovery_Magnet.html

We have a sea searcher too but never found anything we've dropped in but did recover another boaters weed hatch plate. 

Edited by pearley
Edited to add I was rewarded with sedveral brandies!

we have a sea searcher on the boat, and whilst it did recover a windlass that got knocked in, it was less successful with the walkie talkie that now sits in the murky depths near Maestermyn Cruisers and the closed Narrow Boat pub.

you might consider something like https://www.first4magnets.com/hook-eyebolt-clamping-magnets-c40/48mm-dia-neodymium-clamping-magnet-with-m8-eyebolt-and-10-metre-rope-95kg-pull-p10838#ps_1-11242 as its much lighter than a sea searcher, I have one but have yet to get it wet :D

I've been doing it since the end of the 60s.

I started with a loudspeaker base, moved onto a Sea Searcher, and now use a Rare Earth

I guess the common sense rules are ......

Carry a plastic bag with you so you can dump in a litter bin all of the junk and rusty rubbish you haul out.  Don't throw anything back in nor just drop it on the towpath.

If you're hunting near a lock be aware that a Neodymium can latch onto underwater ironwork and you may not be able to remove it. You could end up blocking a paddle or even jamming a lock gate. This happened near Shardlow many years ago and Waterways had to drain the lock to retrieve it!

If you're searching near VMs check for galvanised piling.  Again you can get it stuck on one and have the devil's job getting it off.

2 hours ago, pearley said:

We have a sea searcher too but never found anything we've dropped in but did recover another boaters weed hatch plate. 

A friend of ours was complaining that his sea searcher was rubbish - hardly picked anything up at all.

Then I showed him the keeper plate and suggested he tried removing it before using the magnet :giggles:

• Happy 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Goldfish are not magnetic:D

ETA  @magnetman is your man on this one. I've got a seasearcher magnet which seems ok, but not cheap these days. Ours came with the boat. 

Much better than the Sea Searcher in my opinion I have one.

6 hours ago, robtheplod said:

Hi All

Just don't leave all the dross on the towpath like some of them do.

7 hours ago, robtheplod said:

Hi All

If you enjoy it then no reason not to do it within the constraints mentioned above. Anyway with the name of RobThePlod suspect your unlikely to commit any misdemeanors:D

1 hour ago, reg said:

If you enjoy it then no reason not to do it within the constraints mentioned above. Anyway with the name of RobThePlod suspect your unlikely to commit any misdemeanors:D

sorry no, not a copper - just unimaginative!   thanks for all the replies!!!!

36 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

sorry no, not a copper - just unimaginative!   thanks for all the replies!!!!

Your welcome and welcome to the forum, not bad first day and you have a nickname, or I suspect very soon you will have:) this forum never lets a good joke go by and a bad one goes on forever.

Edited by reg
  • Greenie 1

40 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Question

1.If you lose your magnet, are you able to retrieve it with another magnet,or will it be repelled?

2. If magnets were made of Stainless Steel would they still work?

1 )  You have a 50/50 chance.

2 ) If they are magnets they would work.

Obvious init.

22 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Question

1.If you lose your magnet, are you able to retrieve it with another magnet,or will it be repelled?

2. If magnets were made of Stainless Steel would they still work?

Depends if it gets eaten by a fish.

• Haha 1

Back on track ,the canal around Chester is a lot safer for boaters, numerous bikes,mopeds, trolleys have been pulled out over the last year and now I'm slowly working my up and down the Llangollen, almost everything has been removed from the towpath apart from one or two things belonging to CRT ,they were informed and removed within a day or two , would you rather see a rusty canal closed sign on the towpath or tangled up in your prop.. More magnet fishing the better imho

• Greenie 1