Private linear mooring close to Liverpool

blythecooper

Featured Posts

Hi folks- before I go ahead and shell out for the CRT mooring I've got my eye on in Lancashire, I wonder if any of you know of any private linear moorings close to Liverpool (up to Parbold or thereabouts). I need to be able to commute to Liverpool by bike and train from September. Don't need electricity or water hookup, and the more rural the better! Any advice very much appreciated!

1 hour ago, blythecooper said:

Hi folks- before I go ahead and shell out for the CRT mooring I've got my eye on in Lancashire, I wonder if any of you know of any private linear moorings close to Liverpool (up to Parbold or thereabouts). I need to be able to commute to Liverpool by bike and train from September. Don't need electricity or water hookup, and the more rural the better! Any advice very much appreciated!

There a quite a few possibles between Scarisbrick and Burscough.  I spotted a few signs with phone numbers on them last week when cruising that stretch.

The one that stood out to me is just between New Lane swingbridge and the winding hole, but you may not like it being opposite the cottages.

I'd say get on your bike or your boat and go up that section of canal armed with a camera :)

You might find it easier to travel into Liverpool via Wigan, so you could consider looking further than Parbold unless you specifically want to be on the Moss - try as far as Adlington.

I've moored at Maghull / Hall Lane a couple of times on my way to into Liverpool it's on private land opposite the towpath with electric, water, toilet and cassette emptying facilities. Plenty of shops nearby and only a couple of minute walk to Maghull station for trains every 15 minutes. Takes around twenty minutes to Liverpool central.  PM me if you would like the owners phone number.

Its not rural but I'd say it's the safest and nearest to Liverpool after Litherland. Personally I wouldn't want to leave a boat with all my possessions anywhere between Lydiate and Parbold unless it was in scarisbrick marina the caravan park or one of the rufford ones. Always thought the CRT ones at Haskayne were particularly open to vandalism and theft and I know of a long term boat at Burscough that was vandalized a couple of years ago. There is a pub I think called the slipway that has offside CRT moorings but from what I remember it looks like anyone can gain access without a key so the only security would be you neighbors. 

Have you priced Liverpool marina? A friend lives there and although expensive it is a great place to be and could save you hundreds of pounds a year on train fares. You would also need to change your anodes for saltwater.

1 minute ago, oldboater66 said:

I've moored at Maghull / Hall Lane a couple of times on my way to into Liverpool it's on private land opposite the towpath with electric, water, toilet and cassette emptying facilities. Plenty of shops nearby and only a couple of minute walk to Maghull station for trains every 15 minutes. Takes around twenty minutes to Liverpool central.  PM me if you would like the owners phone number.

Its not rural but I'd say it's the safest and nearest to Liverpool after Litherland. Personally I wouldn't want to leave a boat with all my possessions anywhere between Lydiate and Parbold unless it was in scarisbrick marina the caravan park or one of the rufford ones. Always thought the CRT ones at Haskayne were particularly open to vandalism and theft and I know of a long term boat at Burscough that was vandalized a couple of years ago. There is a pub I think called the slipway that has offside CRT moorings but from what I remember it looks like anyone can gain access without a key so the only security would be you neighbors. 

Have you priced Liverpool marina? A friend lives there and although expensive it is a great place to be and could save you hundreds of pounds a year on train fares. You would also need to change your anodes for saltwater.

That's a good thought.  If you don't need to commute into Liverpool until Autumn CRT do winter moorings in Salthouse Dock at cheap rates too, but you are stuck there October till March. 

15 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

That's a good thought.  If you don't need to commute into Liverpool until Autumn CRT do winter moorings in Salthouse Dock at cheap rates too, but you are stuck there October till March. 

Free electric too! Electric heater full whack 24/7 from Oct to mar sounds tempting :)

39 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Stanley Dock also have moorings https://stanleydock.com/marina without the winter movement restrictions of Salthouse I imagine. However again probably not cheap but only a 5/10min bike ride into the city centre.

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

Don't forget to factor in the cost of new anodes. 

46 minutes ago, bill brown said:

Stanley Dock also have moorings https://stanleydock.com/marina without the winter movement restrictions of Salthouse I imagine. However again probably not cheap but only a 5/10min bike ride into the city centre.

I thought the winter stoppage was at Stanley Locks, but I could be mistaken.  If so you can't go anywhere from there either!

8 hours ago, pearley said:

4 years ago there was a field on the offside just before Parbold which had been separated into strips about 70ft wide, some of them with water taps and a sale notice. 

I had forgotten those ones (it's been a while since Sunday!).  There are two boats on six moorings at the moment, and they are certainly rural and handy enough for Parbold or Burscough.

Thanks for the replies.. oldboater66 I can't send PMs yet but as soon as I've made enough posts I'll send you a message. Would love the details.

I'm down in Aldermaston at the mo so won't be able to cycle along the canal until I'm up north next, but those Parbold ones sound appealing. But you say a sale sign, does that mean not to rent?

I did price up central Liverpool but to be honest I'd like to be more rural.. I chatted to some folk from MMBC last time I was near Parbold who said there's no liveabords on their moorings, but there are a few who live on them anyway. But that seems to be the case with a lot of leisure moorings?

The CRT mooring I'm looking at is Burscough, but it does seem extremely exposed and a bit central.. I guess I could take that mooring and just spend a lot of time moored elsewhere, but the moorings I'm at temporarily here are lovely and the long termers have made pretty little gardens and compost heaps etc, which is really appealing!

4 minutes ago, blythecooper said:

The CRT mooring I'm looking at is Burscough, but it does seem extremely exposed and a bit central.. I guess I could take that mooring and just spend a lot of time moored elsewhere, but the moorings I'm at temporarily here are lovely and the long termers have made pretty little gardens and compost heaps etc, which is really appealing!

Burscough Bridge moorings would be a convenient place to get into Liverpool (Burscough Junction station straight into Liverpool.)  Have you seen the site? It isn't rural at all - you are just outside the town centre.

Here is the site:

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.6026705,-2.8437522,92a,55.6y,10.17t/data=!3m1!1e3

The private mooring I saw vacancies at this week is located here:

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.6068033,-2.8682655,96m/data=!3m1!1e3

The ones on the fields mentioned earlier are here:

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.5853926,-2.7541969,370a,35y,6.44t/data=!3m1!1e3

Far and away the best for what you want would be Sparks Bridge near Rufford, but hen's teeth spring to mind.  Nobody ever leaves it!

37 minutes ago, blythecooper said:

Thanks for the replies.. oldboater66 I can't send PMs yet but as soon as I've made enough posts I'll send you a message. Would love the details.

I'm down in Aldermaston at the mo so won't be able to cycle along the canal until I'm up north next, but those Parbold ones sound appealing. But you say a sale sign, does that mean not to rent?

I did price up central Liverpool but to be honest I'd like to be more rural.. I chatted to some folk from MMBC last time I was near Parbold who said there's no liveabords on their moorings, but there are a few who live on them anyway. But that seems to be the case with a lot of leisure moorings?

Just sent you the owners number for Maghull. 

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

Burscough Bridge moorings would be a convenient place to get into Liverpool (Burscough Junction station straight into Liverpool.)  Have you seen the site? It isn't rural at all - you are just outside the town centre.

Here is the site:

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.6026705,-2.8437522,92a,55.6y,10.17t/data=!3m1!1e3

The private mooring I saw vacancies at this week is located here:

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.6068033,-2.8682655,96m/data=!3m1!1e3

The ones on the fields mentioned earlier are here:

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.5853926,-2.7541969,370a,35y,6.44t/data=!3m1!1e3

Far and away the best for what you want would be Sparks Bridge near Rufford, but hen's teeth spring to mind.  Nobody ever leaves it!

I walked from Parbold to Buscough a few weeks ago. It went from lovely and rural to bang smack in the centre of town, which is why I'm looking to see if I can find somewhere else instead of Burscough.

That first link looks good I think.. The second, I walked past because there is land for sale with planning permission for moorings there.. 80k for less than 2 acres though! If I knew I wanted to stay on the boat then I would consider buying land with canal frontage, but I'm a total newbie and might completely flake out come winter!

10 minutes ago, blythecooper said:

I walked from Parbold to Buscough a few weeks ago. It went from lovely and rural to bang smack in the centre of town, which is why I'm looking to see if I can find somewhere else instead of Burscough.

That first link looks good I think.. The second, I walked past because there is land for sale with planning permission for moorings there.. 80k for less than 2 acres though! If I knew I wanted to stay on the boat then I would consider buying land with canal frontage, but I'm a total newbie and might completely flake out come winter!

If you are prepared to gamble, I'd say declare yourself a continuous cruiser when your current mooring expires.  CC'ing on the L&L (indeed all the Northern waterways) is a very different experience to the Southern waterways - there are miles and miles of empty towpath, and plenty of facilities.

We have just overwintered on this exact stretch and know it well.  Particularly from Haskayne - Tarleton - Wigan you can can easily comply with CC rules and see many different places.  If it is starting to seem hard work by the end of September you can take a winter mooring either at one of the marinas or a CRT online one, or you could then buy a mooring in the local area.

If you are looking for temp moorings before you shell out on CRT moorings, might be worth 'chancing your arm' and moor for free on the towpath side anywhere between Scarisbrick and Parbold. Enforcement on this stretch is vertically nonexistent.

On 19/04/2018 at 17:02, TheBiscuits said:

I had forgotten those ones (it's been a while since Sunday!).  There are two boats on six moorings at the moment, and they are certainly rural and handy enough for Parbold or Burscough.

I tried to buy one of these years ago but the seller would not entertain a live aboard at the time, he may now. Can't remember the company's name.

There is a tap on each strip. Its a lovely spot with good access from the road but the railway is a bit close if I remember.