Notice Alert

Peak Forest Canal
Starts At: Lock 16
Ends At: Lock 1

Monday 11 September 2017 09:00 until Friday 25 May 2018 17:00

Type: Navigation Closure 
Reason: Structure failure

Update on 18/04/2018:

Work to re-build the lock chamber wall at Marple Lock 15 have suffered a set-back this week after the brickwork exposed at the base of the lock wall was found to be in very poor condition.  It had been expected that the reconstructed masonry wall would be founded on top of the brickwork section of the wall, however this has not been possible and the wall has now been dismantled down to the invert of the lock. This marks a significant milestone in the project as we have now reached a stable foundation and the brickwork is being rebuilt currently.  Unfortunately this delay has meant that our planned opening date for 4 May is no longer achievable.  A revised schedule has now been developed and we anticipate navigation reopening on 25 May.

Edited by rgreg

Useless!

I looked at the ongoing work a few days  ago and the lock wall appeared to be built up by about a third of finished height. Are they now saying the wall has to come down again? I was not optimistic about the early May opening anyway.

Meanwhile , the pointless monstrosity of a fence on the offside of Marple Aqueduct nears completion at a cost of  around £300,000. How this design got past English Heritage (or whatever it's called ) on a Grade 1 listed structure is beyond me. A  300ft  long  rack for bicycles.

12 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

I would have agreed about the fence on the Marple aqueduct apart from knowing that a former employee of mine used to ride a bike across there for bets. £300K seems a lot for a fence.

Darwin had a theory for creatures like you former employee which I don't believe involved any capital expenditure. ;)

2 hours ago, Alan B said:

Well, that's b******d our plans for the Cheshire ring in early May, & probably lots of others too.

Well I've been waiting for 7 months, and have finally given up the idea of getting back to my home mooring, so am giving up my position of first in the queue.

Marple.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Despite my doubts it really does look like the Marple Flight will reopen on Friday. The lock walls are complete, one lock gate is back in place, two more to do. There's a fair bit of groundwork and stonework still to be done but it won't prevent navigation. Hooray!

• Happy 1

Top Brass due today sadly the wall on exit from lock 16 is not to be done due to lack of funds even though it was a perfect opportunity no water and equipment available .Oh well the blue polo will fix it later.Lock problem was caused by the large trees now removed.Not the lack of maintenance by repointing the brickwork to stop water flowing into and out of surrounding land when locks are used thus eroding the ground.

On 26/05/2018 at 09:13, b0atman said:

One boat went down flight on the Friday evening so at least one ring is open whilst Middlewich remains closed ,

Only for narrow Narrowboats, so I gather.

Problems with Lock 11 now.

Bod