Help requested in Aldermaston!

blythecooper

Featured Posts

Hi Everyone,

I have just bought my first narrowboat, and I am hoping I might be able to find some experienced boaters happy to take me out for a few hours on the water to show me the ropes. I'm a complete newbie, having only taken the boat out on a test drive with the previous owner, and would like to learn from as many experienced folk as possible before beginning the big journey.

Is anybody close to Aldermaston that would be open to spending some time on the water with me? I can offer endless cups of tea/coffee, delicious food, and a lovely day out on the waterways!

Days/times are flexible to suit.. I've got the mooring here until the start of June, after which I will be setting out on my first big journey! Any takers?

Thanks,

Blythe

Depends how much of a rush you're in. Where is the boat in Aldermaston? When would you like to/must you move it by? I have the odd day free in a month or so and a day on the water at that end of the K&A would appeal. Others will be closer and available sooner I should imagine. 

Endless tea and some food is the going rate for crew, someone local should help you. I've crewed for various people on the forum, but it's maybe a bit far for a few hours' boating for me, outside London I tend to go for longer trips.

From Newbury down to Reading navigation can get quite exciting when there's more water than usual going down the Kennet, which enters and leaves the canal at certain points. There was a CRT warning notice after the recent heavy rain suggesting that only experienced boaters should go out on it, but with the current drier weather I expect it's returning to normal about now.

Apart from the flow when the Kennet is higher than usual, the other things that can make the K&A a bit harder than other canals are (1) it's got wide locks and some of the gates are a bit stiff, it helps if someone on the crew is quite strong, (2) it has various swing and lift bridges you need to operate, some key operated and involving holding up road traffic, and (3) because a lot of the banks are natural not piled, finding somewhere to moor can be difficult unless you have a plank and mooring pins and know how to use them.

Does this first big journey of yours in early June involve going through Reading and up/down the Thames? It probably will, and you may find it helpful then to have someone (maybe me) aboard who's done that before, or at least to read up about it. If you're heading up to the Midlands you might want to get a week's EA licence and take your time on the Thames, or get a one day licence which gives just enough time (the day you buy it plus the next day) to reach the Oxford canal from Reading if you keep going for two long days.

Edited by Peter X
to change (2) to (3), I'm pedantic like that!

Thanks for the replies!

Bunny, I posted on there as well and have had one bite, so my first jaunt will be on Monday with a neighbour. Very exciting.

Magpie patrick, I've got the mooring here until the start of June, so if you do find yourself down this way before then it would be great to have you onboard to learn from!

Peter X, I'll be heading up to Lancashire. I've got the time and flexibility to do it really slowly. I have mooring pins and a plank but no knowledge of how to use them, so will add it to my 'must learn' list. I've got a gold licence as the previous owners had it- it's been transferred to me because you can't get a refund on them!

Aaand Nightwatch, it would be great to learn from you as well. I'm taking some time off from working to settle in to the boat and work on some of the recommendations from the survey so am flexible with days, although I'm away from 26-27th April and 3-4th May. If the timings work it would be great to meet you :)

Oh, and Magpie patrick- I'm just next to Aldermaston Lock at the private moorings. V close to Kennet and Avon Canal Visitor Centre.

51 minutes ago, The Boater said:

I can offer crew help on various days as long as you don't mind me being accompanied by a very well behaved Jack Russell.

Ian.

You and the dog would be very welcome, providing it was before 3rd May. My very nervous cat is moving on board then!

It looks as though the only two days I can do is either the first or second. I am a motorcycle mechanic and next week is booked up already.  I may be able to be dogless sometimes after the 3rd but won't know which days till nearer the time.

Ian.

On 18/04/2018 at 17:55, blythecooper said:

Thanks for the replies!

Bunny, I posted on there as well and have had one bite, so my first jaunt will be on Monday with a neighbour. Very exciting.

Magpie patrick, I've got the mooring here until the start of June, so if you do find yourself down this way before then it would be great to have you onboard to learn from!

Peter X, I'll be heading up to Lancashire. I've got the time and flexibility to do it really slowly. I have mooring pins and a plank but no knowledge of how to use them, so will add it to my 'must learn' list. I've got a gold licence as the previous owners had it- it's been transferred to me because you can't get a refund on them!

Aaand Nightwatch, it would be great to learn from you as well. I'm taking some time off from working to settle in to the boat and work on some of the recommendations from the survey so am flexible with days, although I'm away from 26-27th April and 3-4th May. If the timings work it would be great to meet you :)

Oh, and Magpie patrick- I'm just next to Aldermaston Lock at the private moorings. V close to Kennet and Avon Canal Visitor Centre.

Had our winter moorings by the black and white lenghtmans cottage for 4 winters . Bunny.