Spot the issue

Robbo

Featured Posts

Just taken a look this morning. The whole thing is extremely ugly, and is it really needed? It's easy enough to drop off/pickup crew on the Granary Wharf side, even if they do have to walk around the arms.

3 hours ago, Robbo said:

The other mount is higher as the pontoon is higher at that point due to the slope so the pontoon won’t actually drift away. 

Claws at different levels:

20180420_090828.jpg.00ead9fd3e186de440c3a99402564cd9.jpg

5 hours ago, David Mack said:

Just taken a look this morning. The whole thing is extremely ugly, and is it really needed? It's easy enough to drop off/pickup crew on the Granary Wharf side, even if they do have to walk around the arms.

Claws at different levels:

20180420_090828.jpg.00ead9fd3e186de440c3a99402564cd9.jpg

Ah, hadn't seen that photo.

Neil

Looks like another botched contractor job.

The Curdworth fiasco is already raising eyebrows. On the River Calder in the past few years, contractors fitted Battyeford flood gates which leak badly because they don't mitre properly. On the nearby weir a couple of years ago contractors refitted the weir boards now there are at least 10 missing, and most recently contractors rebuilt Ledgard weir 6" too high, the river upstream is now permanently in the red, the level alarms activate at the slightest shower of rain and CaRT have to close Mirfield flood lock when it's not necessary.

I wonder how much extra cost has been incurred revisiting such cock-ups. I heard it from a lockie that CaRT don't include a warranty clauses in the contracts. So any botched job has to be put right at further expense. Perhaps a case for CaRT to consider a return to in-house repairs and maintenance?

• 4 weeks later...

It was inevitible.

What a balls up, you couldn't really make it up. If it wasn't so serious it would be funny.

@Robbo What was there before? I can't remember.

Edited by MJG

2 minutes ago, MJG said:

It was inevitible.

What a balls up, you couldn't really make it up. If it wasn't so serious it would be funny.

@Robbo What was there before? I can't remember.

Nothing was there before.   I think someone in their wisdom thought a lock landing would be a good idea as there isn’t really one on the other side as you have the dry dock entrances. I have no issues myselfusing the other side for the lock and I’m single handed. A bollard or two would be nice tho.

1 minute ago, Robbo said:

Nothing was there before.   I think someone in their wisdom thought a lock landing would be a good idea as there isn’t really one on the other side as you have the dry dock entrances. I have no issues myselfusing the other side for the lock and I’m single handed. A bollard or two would be nice tho.

I can't remember now what I used to do, i think possibly step off the bow where that new affair is, but I could be wrong.

20 minutes ago, Robbo said:

In between the dry docks a bollard or two was all that’s needed.  Most just wrap a rope around the seats

7548347A-BDAD-4C65-9EA8-0B46151CFDFA.jpeg

1C25D0C5-8699-4CB9-A2FF-2D8BF7C9F541.jpeg

From the above photos some of you may spot another issue as well from the newly install landing.

I was in the basin over the last 2 weekends. One of the paddles was left open on the night of Sat. 5th May and CRT had to come down to get the levels sorted on Sunday morning. As we left I noticed that the landing was tilted as shown in the photos. However, it had been put back correctly last weekend. I guess it will keep happening.

It would have been preferable to spend some money on a better landing below the lock on the river  (a single step opening in a wall shared with the Water Taxis!) than something there which no-one seems to use/want/need. 

9 minutes ago, Robbo said:

From the above photos some of you may spot another issue as well from the newly install landing.

The ground sluice is quite vulnerable on the new lock landing side where it’s protected on this side.

848A2AAA-3D01-4487-A1C5-7028E8A2FCEB.jpeg

15 minutes ago, jpcdriver said:

I was in the basin over the last 2 weekends. One of the paddles was left open on the night of Sat. 5th May and CRT had to come down to get the levels sorted on Sunday morning. As we left I noticed that the landing was tilted as shown in the photos. However, it had been put back correctly last weekend. I guess it will keep happening.

It would have been preferable to spend some money on a better landing below the lock on the river  (a single step opening in a wall shared with the Water Taxis!) than something there which no-one seems to use/want/need. 

It looks as though the landing as fitted would have worked if only the ammount of allowable fall on the bottom riser corresponded with that on the top one.

Quite how they arrived at such a difference is beyond me. There is what looks like a row of stone protruding from the building they are fixed to but surely the mounting brackets just had to be made long enough to clear that?

Edited by MJG

• 1 month later...

Update...

Its been modified.....    Note that we have been lower than a B♭this week at times due to the water shortage so it does still get trapped as you can see from the photo.   

1E7DEBDF-94C4-4734-B402-81437A3D2E45.jpeg

Edited by Robbo

Another example of it costs more to do a job twice, than to do it properly in the 1st place (and its going to need yet another modification)

Off-shore structures are designed to withstand the '100 year wave', surely canal structures could be correctly designed for the '10 year low water'.