Spot the issue

Robbo

Featured Posts

If that ever gets to the top, you won't need to bother with a lock landing at all - just surf straight over the top of the gates and into the river.

I have seen the water level at least 2 feet lower than that minimum in there.  Any bets it was supposed to be mounted a couple of feet lower, but the wall wasn't straight so they put it on the flat bit :D

33 minutes ago, Robbo said:

New pontoon down at Granary Wharf which we are presuming is a lock landing.   It’s a very short pound and the water rises and drops quite a lot, at the moment this is high average...

571C8194-326E-4B15-B953-1F774C94F400.jpeg.d6525fd3249c4cf3292af6ed2f4a8b35.jpeg

:giggles: :banghead:

20 hours ago, Robbo said:

New pontoon down at Granary Wharf which we are presuming is a lock landing.   It’s a very short pound and the water rises and drops quite a lot, at the moment this is high average...

571C8194-326E-4B15-B953-1F774C94F400.jpeg.d6525fd3249c4cf3292af6ed2f4a8b35.jpeg

If that is the lock landing for River Lock I don’t see any problem with the limited amount of travel but it looks like a poor piece of work. Presumably English Heritage had to approve the plan and what do they know about canals.

48 minutes ago, Stewart Kirby said:

If that is the lock landing for River Lock I don’t see any problem with the limited amount of travel but it looks like a poor piece of work. Presumably English Heritage had to approve the plan and what do they know about canals.

The OP said that the photo was taken with the water level higher than median, if so surely it will come off the guide rail when the level falls?

48 minutes ago, frahkn said:

The OP said that the photo was taken with the water level higher than median, if so surely it will come off the guide rail when the level falls?

I don’t think so. This is the lock landing for River Lock which drops you onto the River Aire. The pound it is in is quite short, maybe be 300-350ft, but there are are side pounds which is where the warehouses of Granary Wharf used to be. One of them was a dry dock but I don’t know how it is used now. The others were in water and one was used for moorings. Lock number 2 is Office Lock which is the start/end of the canal really and the basin is the lowest point on the Yorkshire side if the canal.

i have moored overnight and throughout the day many times at Granary Wharf and I have never noticed a marked change in the water level.

1 hour ago, Stewart Kirby said:

I don’t think so. This is the lock landing for River Lock which drops you onto the River Aire. The pound it is in is quite short, maybe be 300-350ft, but there are are side pounds which is where the warehouses of Granary Wharf used to be. One of them was a dry dock but I don’t know how it is used now. The others were in water and one was used for moorings. Lock number 2 is Office Lock which is the start/end of the canal really and the basin is the lowest point on the Yorkshire side if the canal.

i have moored overnight and throughout the day many times at Granary Wharf and I have never noticed a marked change in the water level.

The pound is short and does drop quite often below the level of guide rail especially in summer when there is a lot of traffic.   It doesn’t take much for the pound to drop especially if the lock gate doesn’t shut firmly which it often does but no boater would really check for.    I’m based in Leeds so see it happen often.

2 minutes ago, Neil Smith said:

What's stopping it coming adrift and floating away...

Absolutely nothing as far as I can see. It appears that it’s about to do just that. 

Perhaps when it does so it will focus the minds of the contractors and cause them to consider the title of this thread. 

11 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Absolutely nothing as far as I can see. It appears that it’s about to do just that. 

Perhaps when it does so it will focus the minds of the contractors and cause them to consider the title of this thread. 

Will it come away  if one or two XXL  persons happen to use it as intended?

On 17/04/2018 at 19:03, Boater Sam said:

Expanding bolts into old mortar joints, won't be there long.

Certainly easier than drilling into stone so taken easy option .Cowboy job.

The other mount is higher as the pontoon is higher at that point due to the slope so the pontoon won’t actually drift away.  However the pontoon may get jammed on that dolphin as it will be at a slight angle if it did come off the other. It would put more stress on the really secure fixings if it did.

7EE5D142-5EE9-4ABB-8D2A-BCA3608A6077.jpeg

Edited by Robbo