Ebay

archie57

Featured Posts

The seller has two slides of the josher butty, which must be a maintenance boat from the condition of it.

There was a scruffy josher butty on Hillmorton Section still in FMC colours in the 50's. A passer by gave me a photo of it moored on our wharf taken from up the drive by his father.

I think the other photo could be taken from on top of bridge 30 looking south.

The image linked to is certainly not 1910. Some of the others offered for sale look to be set up, so to speak. The gent in a bowler holding what might be a childs coffin is superimposed on the print - his feet are clearly not 'of the towpath', and he casts no shadow. The boat MARY is also in that showing a woman lain on the towpath coping in another. Theatrical slides?

Derek, the "doctored" glass slides are from a book called Tom the Boater - A Tale of English Canal Life." From Victorian times, where Tom was bullied by his widowed father and his sister looks after him. The book was published by a Tract Society to illustrate the hard and difficult life of the "uncivilised" boat people. The gent in the bowler comes to Tom's aid, a George Smith of Coalville type character.

s-l1600 (7).jpg

Edited by Ray T

How common was taking photos on glass plates by the time of BTC / BWB?

I realise some of Robert Longden's excellent images were on this media, but was it by then still commonplace, or really rather rare?

I can appreciate the story line, though the image I had in mind, and which my comment was referring to was this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Glass-Magic-Lantern-Slide-TOM-THE-BOATER-NO38-C1890-CANAL-BARGE-MAN-VICTORIAN/112940094503?_trkparms=aid%3D888007%26algo%3DDISC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D49131%26meid%3D63c9e158a52f41c98b92e591446edf15%26pid%3D100009%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26sd%3D112935615699%26itm%3D112940094503&_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982

The men are facing each other, yet both have the Sun at their backs! But I don't suppose the audience noticed.

Some excellent images taken on glass plates by American Railroad photographer O. Winston Link can be seen here, though as a commonplace method of capturing images it must have been somewhat dated, though still favoured by a few:

• Greenie 1

How splendid. Those Norfolk & Western Mallets in full cry must have been a sight and sound to behold. From memory, the N&W held out against the tide of dieselisation until the early 1960s.

Nice version of the Everly Bros. tune by a guitarist whom I have long held in high regard, Leo Kottke. It's hard not to have time for a musician who says that he doesn't sing because "My voice sounds like geese farts on a muggy day".

• 2 years later...

Glass plates for cameras and for making lantern slides were still available in the late 1960's. A school friend who became a chemist working at a CEGB power station, took me round it one Saturday. The chemistry lab had a darkroom and the official cameras, and his boss, who happened to be in and knew that I had an old plate camera with a sheet film adaptor, gave me a box of Ilford FP4 glass plates, another of FP3 sheet film, (both still in date) and a box of 2" x 2" Kodak glass lantern slide plates.