Diesel fumes

robtheplod

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, bizzard said:

They would need to build about twelve new power stations before electric cars are in serious use by everyone.

The queues at motorway service areas for food etc are bad enough without creating queues to recharge lecky cars. Can you imagine it? Only takes minutes to refuel now. It aint goin to happen for years and years unless rapid charging is invented. Maybe we will rent batteries and you will drive into the 'garage' and a robot will swap them over?

I see Land/Range Rover have laid off many workers because they're horried great lumbering diesel brutes aren't selling.  Hooray!!  Leave more room for my Hummer.

Edited by bizzard

1 hour ago, nb Innisfree said:

It's all a bit academic anyway, i.c. vehicles have had their day. 

Electric HGV trucks, police cars, ambulances ? If it ever happens it will be a long way in the future. I doubt if it will happen in the lifetime of anyone on this forum.

4 hours ago, X Alan W said:

If you were cruising South/North with a roof exhaust you would get the diesel treatment from your /others exhausts because of the ventilation fans Better the "tother" way

I was going North to South, but at the back of a group of boats. the fog was quite thick.

If its worse the other way I'll be need to be getting a respirator ready.

51 minutes ago, bizzard said:

The bigger the car, the smaller the brain.  :giggles:

How can you say that? you just need a chelsea tractor to take your child 1 mile to school a day. The evidence is everywhere. These are intelligent people, concerned about green issues.

Course if you dont have a child you can drive to the south  of france with 2 bikes 2 sets of spare race wheels, a tent and all you need for three weeks camping in a skoda fabia. However you will have little protection from the mumsies on the school run ‘ protecting ‘ their children from the other mumsies on the school run ( and the  paedophiles) in their stupid tonka toys)

38 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

Electric HGV trucks, police cars, ambulances ? If it ever happens it will be a long way in the future. I doubt if it will happen in the lifetime of anyone on this forum.

I think it will happen much sooner, there may be exceptions such as emergency vehicles. It's already happening, Tesla have thrown down the challenge by introducing powerful long range cars and trucks, ordinary cars that out perform supercars, Nissan have been making EVs for 8yrs now for a niche market and are starting to ramp production up as are other major producers, they are getting big in China. 10 years will make a big difference. 

1 hour ago, bizzard said:

They would need to build about twelve new power stations before electric cars are in serious use by everyone.

Not just power stations, but they would have to upgrade the entirevele trical distribution system.

For example, most homes are fed from a 60 amp or 100 amp supply, but can only draw on average 30-50 amps each, without overloading the local transformer which feeds them. A concept known as diversity.

With a large uptake of electric vehicles, most owners will want to charge their car when they return from work, meaning all homes will be trying to draw a large amount of power at the same time.

5 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

My skoda vrs is pre dpf and as clean and green as anything, on full turbo boost i never see anyone behind complaining. They want me to scrap a perfectly good low mileage car and replace it with a new one so a bunch of chelsea tractor owners in lunun can carry on poluting their overcrowded slum.,,

Mk1 or Mk2? The Mk2 Vrs that had the PD engine was the only PD engine to have a DPF, I never noticed mine doing a regen in 100k miles. The Yeti however does it normally at less than 200 miles unless I'm caning it on a long journey.

1 hour ago, Dr Bob said:

The queues at motorway service areas for food etc are bad enough without creating queues to recharge lecky cars. Can you imagine it? Only takes minutes to refuel now. It aint goin to happen for years and years unless rapid charging is invented. Maybe we will rent batteries and you will drive into the 'garage' and a robot will swap them over?

Back in 1985 I witnessed a demonstration of the aluminium/air battery. This is a "one shot" primary cell and was aimed at the standby and automotive markets.

It was apparently 5 years from being productionised. 

It is over 95% recyclable and much more power dense than even ithium ion batteries.

The plan was to standardise batteries and pull to service stations to have a depleted battery or batteries changed in the time it takes to fill up with petrol.

7 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Quiet right. Try sitting in a lock on a windless day having just put a load of Supertherm on the fire.......and then there is all the beer.:P

We are all doomed.

I imagine if you are windlass'less you'd sit in a lock quite a while.  Is the answer make sure you have a spare one?

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Back in 1985 I witnessed a demonstration of the aluminium/air battery. This is a "one shot" primary cell and was aimed at the standby and automotive markets.

It was apparently 5 years from being productionised. 

It is over 95% recyclable and much more power dense than even ithium ion batteries.

The plan was to standardise batteries and pull to service stations to have a depleted battery or batteries changed in the time it takes to fill up with petrol.

In 2012 Tesla demonstrated their quick battery change, twice as fast as petrol/diesel fill up, abandoned because of lack of demand then. 

5 minutes ago, nb Innisfree said:

In 2012 Tesla demonstrated their quick battery change, twice as fast as petrol/diesel fill up, abandoned because of lack of demand then. 

I wonder why they haven't resurrected the idea?

Should be plenty of demand for it now.

Mind you some of the fast chargers for electric cars are 3 phase 100kW jobbies, so more for public chargers than domestic use.

13 minutes ago, cuthound said:

I wonder why they haven't resurrected the idea?

Should be plenty of demand for it now.

Mind you some of the fast chargers for electric cars are 3 phase 100kW jobbies, so more for public chargers than domestic use.

Still not enough Teslas to justify it I would imagine, a Tesla is still quite a rare sight outside of London. 

1 hour ago, bizzard said:

Folk will have to have there own big diesel generator to charge them up. Power stations won't cope. 

https://www.carboncommentary.com/blog/2017/7/26/100-evs-can-be-easily-accommodated-on-the-uk-grid

Where we work in australia is the capital of brown coal supplied electricity. Last year they shut the biggest most polluting power station.

then they had the lightbulb moment ( took a while) not enough summer power. They brought in 100 diesel generators and stuck them on the power station site...

13 minutes ago, nb Innisfree said:

Still not enough Teslas to justify it I would imagine, a Tesla is still quite a rare sight outside of London. 

https://www.carboncommentary.com/blog/2017/7/26/100-evs-can-be-easily-accommodated-on-the-uk-grid

If you read the comments in your link it would appear that the author may not have considered everything, especially human behaviour and the capacity of the local power distribution (not the grid but the supply to individual homes)..

Edited by cuthound
Clarification

6 minutes ago, cuthound said:

If you read the comments in your link it would appear that the author may not have considered everything, especially human behaviour and the capacity of the local power distribution (not the grid but the supply to individual homes)..

Of course there are many opinions but the bottom line is EVs are coming, other large foreign economies are making rapid strides, we will have to redouble our efforts. 

12 hours ago, robtheplod said:

Hi All

Interested in views on this as we have the great Diesel discussions on cars at the moment. Canal dwellers spend lots of their time stood very close to a diesel exhaust. I'm not aware of the filtering (if any?) that they have such DPF's etc, so, is there an increased risk to those on canal boats of long term health effects from Diesel above those who drive cars?

I guess that you only have one exhaust to worry about, unlike the hundreds of cars producing fumes on the average road. 

1 hour ago, Loddon said:

Mk1 or Mk2? The Mk2 Vrs that had the PD engine was the only PD engine to have a DPF, I never noticed mine doing a regen in 100k miles. The Yeti however does it normally at less than 200 miles unless I'm caning it on a long journey.

No vrs skoda fabia no dpf  just a small car and big motor. I leave my baseball cap in australia though i bought it for the economy