Ellesmere to the River Weaver

Liz and Jem

Featured Posts

We are planning on visiting Ellesmere Port via the Shroppie this year. As the Middlewich branch is a no go we are considering using the Manchester Ship canal to travel from Ellesmere to the River Weaver. Has anyone done this , any information about this trip would be greatly appreciated. 

12 minutes ago, Liz and Jem said:

We are planning on visiting Ellesmere Port via the Shroppie this year. As the Middlewich branch is a no go we are considering using the Manchester Ship canal to travel from Ellesmere to the River Weaver. Has anyone done this , any information about this trip would be greatly appreciated. 

I suggest that you contact the Manchester Ship canal Company directly to establish the requirements for YOUR boat.

There are a number of requirements (including a safety / sea-worthiness survey of your vessel undertaken by a surveyor approved by the MSC)

The Manchester Ship Canal is not considered a leisure waterway and the incompatibility of large ships and small boats means that hired vessels are not usually permitted. Boat owners must seek permission to use the canal from the Manchester Ship Canal Company, proving that their boat is seaworthy, insured and has the required safety equipment on board.

Manchester Ship Canal Company
Queen Elizabeth II Dock, Eastham, WIRRAL, CH62 0BB
T: 0151 327 1461

Here is what they will send you :

https://www.peelports.com/media/1486/mpf3-pleasure-craft-induction-pack-2016-2017.pdf

Edited by Alan de Enfield

I'll tell you more in a couple of days, we are in Chester right now waiting for our certificate of Sea worthiness inspection. I get the impression that its all pretty easy and the rules are relaxed if just doing the Ellesmere to Weaver section (no locks) but I might be wrong. You can download the Ship Canal information pack for pleasure Craft off the internet and see what is needed. A form to fill in giving 48 hours notice, this needs signing by a surveyor (this is the "certificate of seaworthiness"), then arrange for the Council to swing the bridge at Ellesmere and CaRT to be waiting for you at Marsh lock. When I phoned the surveyor he was keen to know if we had any river experience, I suspect that if you are "narrow canals only" boaters they might be less keen to let you out onto the ship canal.

...................Dave

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, dmr said:

I'll tell you more in a couple of days, we are in Chester right now waiting for our certificate of Sea worthiness inspection. I get the impression that its all pretty easy and the rules are relaxed if just doing the Ellesmere to Weaver section (no locks) but I might be wrong. You can download the Ship Canal information pack for pleasure Craft off the internet and see what is needed. A form to fill in giving 48 hours notice, this needs signing by a surveyor (this is the "certificate of seaworthiness"), then arrange for the Council to swing the bridge at Ellesmere and CaRT to be waiting for you at Marsh lock. When I phoned the surveyor he was keen to know if we had any river experience, I suspect that if you are "narrow canals only" boaters they might be less keen to let you out onto the ship canal.

...................Dave

Spotted you on the upper basin today. Good luck with the trip to the Weaver. If it goes well I might follow you.

Yes you need nav lights even though you're not allowed on after dark...

A handheld VHF is useful to listen out for shipping movements and makes the trip more interesting.

The organising and admin is a bit of a faff but the actual boating is simplicity itself. A thoroughly enjoyable day out.

Assume you've read this:

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/240/ellesmere-port-passage-onoff-shropshire-union-canal

9 hours ago, Señor Chris said:

Boy is that confusing; I assume this bit;

Boaters also need to book Whitby Lock 1 (Bottom Wide Lock) with Canal & River Trust, 

only applies to fat boats, since there's free access down the narrow locks to the lower basin.

MP.

15 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

Boy is that confusing; I assume this bit;

only applies to fat boats, since there's free access down the narrow locks to the lower basin.

MP.

No, everyone has to book the bottom lock, because it's chained shut -- I assume to make sure no-one lets all the water out of the basin above.  This is the lock with the bridge over it.

We did the MSC in the opposite direction, Weaver to Ellesmere Port, a couple of years ago.  Blog post here.  Blog about who to contact here (some of the names have changed, but the principle is the same)

I'd say VHF is really really useful, because you know what's going on, and ships can talk direct to you (as the one that passed us did).

I think Ellesmere Port to the Weaver is probably trickier.  The entrance to Western Marsh Lock is across a huge expanse of water, with some odd currents, and the construction you're supposed to tie to to wait for the lock is very dilapidated.  I was glad we were going the other way!

9 minutes ago, adam1uk said:

No, everyone has to book the bottom lock, because it's chained shut -- I assume to make sure no-one lets all the water out of the basin above.  This is the lock with the bridge over it.

Ah, so you have to book the council to open the bridge, and then CRT to work the lock the bridge crosses? I guess it all makes work for the working man to do :).

There is talk of the museum taking over the operation of the bridge but in the meantime it’s down to the council....they managed to forget my booking a few years ago which resulted in some amusing phone calls as I was bobbing about in the basin off the ship canal...be warned if anything goes past on the ship canal the water moves a lot in the basin...don’t be tempted to tie up!!

I did not notice if the lock was not chained when we were there at the Easter weekend. It connects a huge basin to the ship canal, and there are a several boats in that basin, including long term moorers and a ship, the lock is not within the museum with free access from the road and Ellesmere port is very run down area with a few bored teenagers, so locking it would make sense.

The other wide locks within the museum were available for unrestricted use when we arrived at the museum, in fact we used them because the trip boat was blocking the narrow locks.

..............Dave

12 hours ago, Liz and Jem said:

Thanks for that Dave. I have downloaded the ship canal info. It would be good to know who you used for the seaworthiness inspection -  I assume that you need to have nav lights to pass the inspection. Hope the trip goes well 

I bought a set of portable battery operated navigation lights for my trip on the Manchester Ship Canal from Pomona Lock to Ellesmere Port.

I am slightly surprised that the surveyor accepted these as there are some well defined specifications/regulations about the angle over which port and stbd lights are visible and are not visible, on the other hand its all a bit of a game as you are not allowed to linger on the ship canal, and not allowed on there at night, you are required to make a brisk passage during the hours of daylight only.

The passage from Ellesmere to the Weaver is shortish and lock free, but what I had not really thought through is that the surveyors inspection and signature is valid for a year so there is nothing to stop you from returning in a few days/weeks or months for a more serious passage.

...............Dave

1 hour ago, dmr said:

I am slightly surprised that the surveyor accepted these as there are some well defined specifications/regulations about the angle over which port and stbd lights are visible and are not visible, on the other hand its all a bit of a game as you are not allowed to linger on the ship canal, and not allowed on there at night, you are required to make a brisk passage during the hours of daylight only.

They are flexible so you could stick them round a mushroom vent to cover a wider angle. It is a bit of a game though - some of the requirements were completely disregarded by the surveyor.

3 hours ago, WotEver said:

Good find WotEver ...... these are the ones that I used.

I did have to drill a few holes to fit the brackets though.

We now have a signature stating that we are sea worthy. Does anybody want to share the passage, probably next Monday?

Insurance and BSS documents were inspected as were life jackets, fire extinguishers and the Anchor. Nav lights not such a big issue but were noted, as was the horn. It was mostly a relaxed and friendly chat but I rather think it was us getting checked out as much as the boat. Advice given on sound signals and how best to cope with passing ships etc. Ropes do not have to be the specified 50 foot as long as you have some spare ones to hand to make up the length should it be required.

General consensus seems to be that the Mike Carter is the man to get but he is a busy bloke and working away so could just not fit us in within our timescale. Mr B Taylor of Middlewich did ours at short notice. He is a retired Gentleman (and ex narrowboat owner) and gives a good price but as we are in Chester his travel expenses were actually greater than his survey cost. He lives in Middlewich (right next to the breach) so if using him it would be wise to get the survey done whilst as close to Middlewich as possible. The survey lasts a year so getting it done a little in advance is no problem.

............Dave

• Greenie 1

We have traversed various sections of the ship canal . Last time across the mersey from Liverpool to Ellesmere port , 2016. The only problem was an oil spillage boom at the entrance to the 1st basin . No one wanted to come and move it . Lots of contortions by our pilot and ourselves unlocked it with pliers , moved it and then put it back   . Enjoy your trip , dont be afraid to cancel to the next day if its blowing hard , big expanse of water into the weaver in a crosswind, we did in 2012 trip to Manchester from the Weaver . Once the paperwork is done that's the hard bit.