Stiff chuck on drill press

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, RLWP said:

You are more likely to over lubricate it than anything else. Run it fast and stand back

I have a tall container to lower it into before I switch on :)

Good idea about fast though, I’ll move the belts. 

The trouble with oil is that it tends to attract small metal particles amd form a nasty abrasive paste. It also thickens ad the volatiles evaporate.  A better lubricant would be powdered graphite.

N

3 hours ago, BEngo said:

The trouble with oil is that it tends to attract small metal particles amd form a nasty abrasive paste. It also thickens ad the volatiles evaporate.  A better lubricant would be powdered graphite.

N

Not sure how I’d get powdered graphite inside unless I stripped it down. It feels fine just as it is following its nice derv bath but I worry that perhaps it could now corrode internally?

Just now, WotEver said:

Not sure how I’d get powdered graphite inside unless I stripped it down. It feels fine just as it is following its nice derv bath but I worry that perhaps it could now corrode internally?

I doubt it. Do you get a lot of things rusting in your workshop?

4 minutes ago, RLWP said:

I doubt it. Do you get a lot of things rusting in your workshop?

Not particularly. Saw bench top I keep waxed. Perhaps I’m worrying about nothing. 

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

Open the chuck as wide as it will go.  Take the chuck and arbor out of the drill. Turn it so the open end faces up.  Put powdered graphite in between the jaws then  tap the chuck and exercise the chuck jaws open and shut a few times.  Blow gently into the drill hole to further distribute the graphite ( mainly on your face if too enthusiastic!).

Replace arbor in drilling machine.

If it has been full of diesel it won't corrode for a long while unless your workspace is really damp.

N

2 minutes ago, BEngo said:

If it has been full of diesel it won't corrode for a long while unless your workspace is really damp.

That’s what I figured. The farmer who I rent the building off rust-proofs most of his equipment with diesel. 

22 hours ago, Taslim said:

Modern diesel doesn't seem to lubricate well and won't hold off corrosion.  (Experience :().

This is what set me off...

After reading this thread I was overcome with a fit of enthusiasm and decided to have a look at the stiff Jacobs chuck on my lathe tailstock today. I couldn't find anything I could turn down to press the chuck sleeve off. My solution was to go on eBay and order a long promised nice new keyless chuck from Myford. £31.50 inc delivery on the 25th, job done.

Much easier and no more farting around fishing the dropped chuck key from behind the lathe. My life is complete :)

1 hour ago, nb Innisfree said:

After reading this thread I was overcome with a fit of enthusiasm and decided to have a look at the stiff Jacobs chuck on my lathe tailstock today. I couldn't find anything I could turn down to press the chuck sleeve off. My solution was to go on eBay and order a long promised nice new keyless chuck from Myford. £31.50 inc delivery on the 25th, job done.

Much easier and no more farting around fishing the dropped chuck key from behind the lathe. My life is complete :)

You should have just given the old one a derv bath. It worked wonders for mine. :)

1 hour ago, RLWP said:

We shall await further developments. My Makita power drill is a far better tool now it has a keyed chuck

Richard

Was it a single or double sleeve chuck? 

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

You should have just given the old one a derv bath. It worked wonders for mine. :)

That would eliminate my excuse for a shiny new Myford one.

'Myford' what a lovely ring to that word. 

• Happy 1

1 hour ago, nb Innisfree said:

Was it a single or double sleeve chuck? 

That would eliminate my excuse for a shiny new Myford one.

'Myford' what a lovely ring to that word. 

As in "my Ford Fiesta"? 

No thought Not, I'll get me coat...