Stiff chuck on drill press

Featured Posts

I’m moving on with my rusty drill press. It now works and is largely de-rusted. The only minor issue that I have is with the chuck. It’s a tool-free chuck on an M3 taper and it works fine but is very stiff/sluggish to operate, requiring two hands to open or close it. One hand to stop it rotating and one hand to turn the bezel. It ‘feels’ to me like it’s full of old grease which has become sticky and gloopy (although that’s only a guess). 

Could I soak it in a bath of diesel? Well, obviously I ‘could’ but would this be a good idea? If it did soften the grease would I then somehow need to lubricate it again?

Maybe this is how it’s designed to be but checking the chuck operation of the pillar drills in my local Axminster Tools, they all seem very light to operate so I think my chuck is suffering from something. 

If you can get the chuck off the arbor they are not hard to dismantle. There was a fairly recent how to article in Model Engineers Workshop IIRC.  It may be on their website.

If not ask on the homeworkshop forum.

Soaking it in diesel will do it no harm.  You can alwayz re lubricate by letting it stand in some warm SAE 5 or 10 afterwards then draining and drying it.

N

• Happy 1

2 hours ago, RLWP said:

The soak in diesel sounds a reasonable plan. When you lubricate it afterwards, don't overdo it or you'll be wearing oil for ages

Richard

At first glance I read that as weeping oil .  but your right .  Another clean overall needed.<_< Next time I'll dip it in hot Link Life.

Yep, a good soak in diesel should do the trick, i did the same with an owd drill chuck many moons ago and it worked. It too a few days with keep turning as and when i could.  

• Happy 1

20 hours ago, RLWP said:

The soak in diesel sounds a reasonable plan. When you lubricate it afterwards, don't overdo it or you'll be wearing oil for ages

Richard

If it's rusty a n alternitive to diesel is to soak it in a DIY brew of 50/50 Actone/  ATF

12 minutes ago, X Alan W said:

If it's rusty a n alternitive to diesel is to soak it in a DIY brew of 50/50 Actone/  ATF

It only has very light surface rust. Unfortunately I don’t have any acetone or ATF in the workshop but do have both derv and white spirit so they’re gonna be my first stop. Thanks anyway :)

Feedback as promised. A 4 day soak in diesel had the chuck spinnng if you even blew on it hard, so a total success :)

I wasn’t sure what to lubricate it with so for now it’s back on the quill as it came out of the diesel bath. Does it need lubricating? If so, will 3-in-1 do the job?

50 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Feedback as promised. A 4 day soak in diesel had the chuck spinnng if you even blew on it hard, so a total success :)

I wasn’t sure what to lubricate it with so for now it’s back on the quill as it came out of the diesel bath. Does it need lubricating? If so, will 3-in-1 do the job?

Good news.  A result.

Modern diesel doesn't seem to lubricate well and won't hold off corrosion.  (Experience :(). A drop or SAE 30 ?

1 hour ago, Taslim said:

Good news.  A result.

Modern diesel doesn't seem to lubricate well and won't hold off corrosion.  (Experience :(). A drop or SAE 30 ?

Okidokie, thanks :)

26 minutes ago, jonesthenuke said:

This may help, though not sure what sort of chuck you have got.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CX92C3klOiY

Thanks but I really don’t need to strip it down. It’s not had much use and after its 4 day dunk it’s as good as new. I’ll sit it on its bum and pour some oil down it and wait a day or two for it to drain through. 

Mine looks a lot like this:05CAFEE7-3E49-4117-BC0B-43C516E002F2.jpeg.a0e85f52e4046cdffc169bd3d92c0ae5.jpegli